APC Forum

Occasional depression thread

Pretty green flame

Wow that sucks crazyboy... Well I hope that guy from Fox Studios can help you out, if not Scuba Diving is actually quite nice :D But not as nice as Pyrotechnics...

Do you have to be 21 years to get a license in the US?

Here you can get one when you're 18...

You'll have to take a course, and have participated in 50 professional shootings. And if you want to start making stuff you'll then have to have the right place to be accepted by the government.

21 for individual licence, 18 for employee posessor.

There isn't actually a shooter's licence. Only the company has to have the licence, and that is for storage and importation. The closest thing to a shooter's licence is the PGI certification program. It's a ~8 hour course, examination, and live firing exercise. Possible accidents are also demonstrated in a safe manner. Duds, hang fire, upside down 3" salute :). After that you get a card that says you've passed the classroom portion of it. You then need to work on 5 professional shoots, with at least 1 being the lead shooter. You only have to be 18 to take the course. The ringer is that to be the lead shooter, you have to be 21 in most cases.

I'm really sorry for you crazyboy. I always hate that law forbidding explosives.:angry: Well, I hate much laws, but this is life. If you can't really practice pyrotechnics now, leave them behind. Enjoy something other, until you get a licence and then resume practicing pyro. There are many other hobbies tou can like. For me, pyro is not the most important, I do it if I'm really bored. This is my advice.

21 for individual licence, 18 for employee posessor. 

There isn't actually a shooter's licence.  Only the company has to have the licence, and that is for storage and importation.  The closest thing to a shooter's licence is the PGI certification program.  It's a ~8 hour course, examination, and live firing exercise.  Possible accidents are also demonstrated in a safe manner.  Duds, hang fire, upside down 3" salute :).  After that you get a card that says you've passed the classroom portion of it.  You then need to work on 5 professional shoots, with at least 1 being the lead shooter.  You only have to be 18 to take the course.  The ringer is that to be the lead shooter, you have to be 21 in most cases.

You don't get anything but the study guide to take home (no card), the instructor just writes your name in a register that says you've passed the exam. Then, you have to fire 5 shows *in a 1 year period*, being the lead shooter on at least one. I took the class during the last convention, and was less than impressed with it overall.

Yes, I went back a looked at the card. It was a guild thing, not PGI. I had to take the course in order to be able to discharge my homemades at club events. I was unaware of the 1 year period thing, but then again I took the course some time ago before the most recent updates were made. The fact that you now have to retake the course every 3 years is asinine. The methods don't change that often, and anyone actually involved would be more up-to-date on regulations than the course is.

I never said the course was good, I said it existed. In all fairness, I like the idea of it for new shooters, just to make sure everyone is on the same page. I also like it for being able to shoot live class B materials at club shoots, just for safety. However the 8 hours could be condensed into about 45 minutes including demonstrations, and include everything pertinent to being able to discharge fireworks safely.

Yup I was at the last PGI course too. I was under the impression that for the 5th show as lead operator it was more of a co-lead operator thing where you handled the responsibilities of lead operator with the other lead operator over your shoulder giving you pointers and making sure you did everything right. However I'd imagine that in many states that wouldn't really work legally. I'll have to read over the PGI certification stuff again sometime.

Pudi, assisting on 50 shows before going pro? Holy crap that must take years.

Pudi, assisting on 50 shows before going pro? Holy crap that must take years.

Well, the things i wrote about gives license to MAKE fireworks, I'm not sure how much it takes to have license to light fireworks, but it's not much.

I hope I'll be able to have at least 10 shootings before turning 18, I'm at 1 shooting at the moment (which will not count until I'm 18 anyways)...

• 3 weeks later...
Shit... My French chemical distibutor has just stopped selling chemicals to amateur chemists. Well for mee this is not a too big loss becaus I order my pyro chems from KeteN`but evry single chemist I know will have a very, very hard time to order any chemicals... :( But all is not lost for me, I guess I will just do pyro instead of pyro/chemistry... :(

Ugggg, I am dropping well over $600 in books this semester. I hate new editions of books. This could really impact my beer money. :)

And it's going to be a cold one in Green Bay, too!

Windchills in the 20-30's below zero. Just like we used to have here before our team (put on skirts and) went indoors.

I have a friend who's going to the game. Lucky bastard.

Yes, my dad and several uncles will be there. That will happen when you have season tickets. It's a gift and curse really.

And Mr. hst, besides the fact that the patriots stand no chance against the Packers should they advance that far, no bet was ever agreed upon if you look back upon it. You offered terms, but no agreement was ever reached, partially due to the fact that January tends to be a very expensive month schoolwise.

The clear advantage goes to the to the cold weather teams today, as it'll be windy and chilly in Foxboro too, and San Diego is overmatched and I believe starting a second-string QB due to injury. Mumbles, you're right of course, the gauntlet was thrown down but not picked up. It was a good natured challenge in any event, so no harm done. I must admit that I'll be conflicted in the likely showdown two weeks from now as I really admire Favre. He's probably in the top ten QB's of all time.

Hopefully your dad and uncles have he prerequisite pint of peppermint schnapps in an inside coat pocket today. No Wisconsin football game would be the same without it.

Now that you mention it, the last packer game I was at, the guys next to us had a flask or two of the good Dr. Mcgillicutty. I do believe my family tends to rely on whiskey a bit more. Well, whiskey and 7 layers of thermal clothing.

Besides liquor in the stands, lets just hope the requisite moron without a shirt on perhaps smartens up this game, or perhaps just gets an IV of liquor. Perhaps the good Pope Cheese will give him some holy whiskey. (http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper471/stills/3xj4zj73.jpg)

I personally think the combination of the pre-standing hate for Randy Moss, and the ability to actually effectivly cover all of Brady's favorite passing target should prove interesting in a few weeks.

Well, as we both predicted, the deal went down and that Patriots won 21/12; now on to Green Bay.

It's been decades since I was at a football game in Wisconsin, and as a matter of fact it was the last time I had my ass handed to me in a fight. I didn't deserve it; it was clearly a misunderstanding between that guy and his wife. How did I know she was married to the guy sitting next to her. Anyway, Dr. McGuillicutty probably had an influence in the outcome of that particular day too. Hopefully your dad isn't sitting next to that same guy, or at least I hope he can lead with his left, a skill I have never seemed to master.

One of my milling jars (peanut butter containers) broke last night while in the mill :angry: I happened to take a look and saw a pile of Tiger Tail on the floor... PITA to clean up. I can't complain too much though, that was one of my first 'jars' and has produced many a pound of BP and other comps.

So depressed at the moment, have been it for quite a while...

:lol: No explination.

I'm pissed/depressed b/c my ball mill is broken, again for like the 4 time since I bought it. It says it will push 6lbs but its not, the barrel won't even turn over.

Edit+++++++++++

The president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) has recently died and the age of 94 years old.

It's been a month I ordered some sulfur on ebay from an english seller, and it hasn't arrived yet. He told me he dispatched it quickly, and he says that it's a customs delay. I'm checking every day my mail box but it's empty. :( I'm starting to think that something bad happened to my delivery . :unsure:

I wouldn't worry yet, I once had a package take six weeks to get where it was going inside the US, granted that's only happend to me one time, but it can happen.

• 2 weeks later...

It makes me depressed that dumb people populate the earth. Then two of said dumb people reproduce, and create this kid.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HavocPyrotechnics

He's a member here too, but I have a feeling when he finally posts, he won't make it to 5 before banned.

I am sure there are worse, but this one actually think's he's an authority on pyro. He can hacksaw a commercial shell, obviously he knows what he's doing. :rolleyes:

Yeah, you're right. It makes me sad when fools like this play with explosives, because afterwards I read about "blown kids" in the newspapers. This is one of the main reason why our hobby is illegal. :unsure:

It makes me depressed that dumb people populate the earth. Then two of said dumb people reproduce, and create this kid.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HavocPyrotechnics

He's a member here too, but I have a feeling when he finally posts, he won't make it to 5 before banned.

I am sure there are worse, but this one actually think's he's an authority on pyro. He can hacksaw a commercial shell, obviously he knows what he's doing. :rolleyes:

:lol: Funny stuff. He looks like a punk kid. He made a b%#b too. I did once but I didn't know that it would do that. BTW, I didn't to it like that. I was just trying to make a big smoke device.