APC Forum

Occasional depression thread

Pretty green flame

This injunction doesn't mention skylighter, or other dealers. It does set a terrible precedent, though :(

I'm gonna try and put in an order now and see how it goes.. I'll let you guys know.

From the CPSC article:

"These chemicals and components when assembled comprise M-80s, quarter-sticks, and other illegal fireworks."

:angry:

Firefox is a place for true pyros, and they don't let people just buy aluminum and perdchlorate. And it's not like you could make M80s out of most of the other hundreds of chemicals there. I wonder how many other companies the CPSC has screwed over like that.

Does anyone know when this is going to take effect? As of right now im broke and need atleast a litle time to get some cash for a small stockpile. Oh and by the way they said no sales of tubes 10" or shorter does this include the plastic ball shells?

This is fucking lame. Fire fox is the only good supplier of hard to get pyro chemicals[perchlorates/pban/Ba/Sr] on the west coast. Skylighter is just getting outrageously expensive now. Perhaps if the limit was like 20lbs I wouldn't be so pissed off but christ :rolleyes:

Now you've got a slight feeling how it is to be me. Be glad that you've got suppliers, I'm stuck with ebay and randomness.

This is fucking lame. Fire fox is the only good supplier of hard to get pyro chemicals[perchlorates/pban/Ba/Sr] on the west coast. Skylighter is just getting outrageously expensive now. Perhaps if the limit was like 20lbs I wouldn't be so pissed off but christ :rolleyes:

Basically you ned to order what you can for now and hope it will let you keep a consistant supply for when you can only order the 1lb limit a year. But from what i read is if you buy 1lb of Pot. nitrate that is your limit for all oxidisers for the year or if it means thats it for Pot. Nitrate limit for the year and can still order your 1lb of Pot. Perchlorte for the year as well if that makes any sense?

On a side note this really stinks because im just getting into this hobby and so my stash is really small being a two year old newb and was just literally starting to do 4" plastic shells and currently do not have enough stuff to use them all this year.

P.S JUST F****** FIGURES!!

By the way any of you four on right now on the east coast?

Yup, but not anywhere near Skylighter, if that's what you're thinking.

Yup, but not anywhere near Skylighter, if that's what you're thinking.

Me either im 5 hours south of them.

ROAD TRIP!!!

Sorry but you all are whiners. I, just like Pudi don't have any decend suppliers. And I had to search 3 years for KClO4.

Btw, I still make almost every shell with just 3 chems.

KNO3 (easy to get anywhere) , C even easier, and S this may need a little but more search.

Shells with C6 stars, in my humble oppinion the most beautifull there is.

But still it does suck, but a real amature pyro will find a way.

Sorry but you all are whiners. I, just like Pudi don't have any decend suppliers. And I had to search 3 years for KClO4.

Yeah, of course we will. Chlorate cells, nitre beds, milling our own metal fuels, homemade visco machines, etc. That's not the point. I lament our loss of liberty at the expense of supposed safety. How many makers of illegal "boomers" will now simply shift to less stable oxidizers such as permanganate, or to insanely dangerous crap like AP? (Not ammonium perchlorate, the "k3wlicide")

Btw, I still make almost every shell with just 3 chems.

KNO3 (easy to get anywhere) , C even easier, and S this may need a little but more search.

Shells with C6 stars, in my humble oppinion the most beautifull there is.

Well i wouldnt say whineing maybe a little spoiled but hey arent we all in one way or the other? :rolleyes:

Now don't missunderstand me but i agree with pudi and mardec, other countries don't have dedicated pyro suppliers so you guys are lukcy you have acces to stuff that is for some of us almost impossible to find. This doesn't mean i don't condemn what the CPSC is doing.

Just take a moment and think of the non US pyros who who make nice shells with minimal materials and remember that most of them don't have easy acces to perc or metal powders so they have to live with simple stuff.

And honestly people, tell me, how many of you have bought KNO3 from a pyro supplier, my guess is not many. You know, it's not the end of the world for you guys, it's just going to be a bit harder for you.

Hope this post isn't missunderstood.

Now don't missunderstand me but i agree with pudi and mardec, other countries don't have dedicated pyro suppliers so you guys are lukcy you have acces to stuff that is for some of us almost impossible to find. This doesn't mean i don't condemn what the CPSC is doing.

Just take a moment and think of the non US pyros who who make nice shells with minimal materials and remember that most of them don't have easy acces to perc or metal powders so they have to live with simple stuff.

And honestly people, tell me, how many of you have bought KNO3 from a pyro supplier, my guess is not many. You know, it's not the end of the world for you guys, it's just going to be a bit harder for you.

Hope this post isn't missunderstood.

Ummm welli actually just bought 5lbs of Pot. Nitrate from a pyro company. :ph34r:

To be honest pretty Green my hat comes off to you guys in foreign (sp) countries for being able to get what you do get. if that makes sense?

This decision does not apply to Skylighter yet. It was a civil suit, not a criminal one. However, as soon as the CPSC is in a position to sue Skylighter they will, and it will end much faster than this "trial" did. Ultimately all it is going to do is drive hobby pyro underground where in the end there is less safety and less paper trail for the gov. Ebay, club purchases, and under the table deals are gonna skyrocket. I'm planning on getting the Type 20 anyways, but this is still ridiculous. I've said it in many other threads, even by the CPSC's own statistics, "boomers" account for less than 1% of all annual fireworks injuries. The menace that is sparklers continues to injure children and adults more than any other pyro device unabated. It's also worth noting that the judge in this case is an activist judge appointment by of course Bill Clinton. I think if this case were to make it to the Supreme Court which is considerably more conservative than your average federal judge it may have a good chance of being reduced or outright overturned.

so anyone know when this takes affect yet, the website hasn't changed and i really want to make an order. should i just call them.

Well I called Firefox this morning and was told by them that it took effect last Tuesday or Wednsday. There was other info as well but dont want to post on site of their possible plans.

yeah i called them a while ago and asked them if they could ship certain things and they said no. poo :(

Hmmm I am depressed... I don't feel like I am learning shit in college. I thought I would but it just seems so robotic. I wish I had an apprenticeship with a professional chemist.

fuck... Just misspelled professional and added the wrong spelling to the dictionary instead of fixing it..... F#(*U&*(@#&$(*&@($!!

hmmm yeah calculus you make my day you cheer me up!

end bitching...

I made a beautiful 6" shell for this weekend. It was supposed to be a double petal. I don't know how many of you guys make paper ball shells, but for those that don't know there is a tapping process in filling, or at least there should be. You over fill the hemis with burst, and tap the hemis to get it to settle, lock the stars in place and make it just overall more solid. This is expecially vital with the product sold as rice hulls in the US. They are a shredded product, and are actually somewhat compressable(which isn't ideal). If you can hear the stars rattling around, you didn't make it well enough. It's one of the not so often mentioned secrets to getting good symetry, but every accomplished shell maker does it.

Anyway, the shell went up perfectly, broke nice and loud, then then to see at least half of the stars blow blind. I think during the tapping process I knocked some of the prime off the stars. I could tell there was still good symetry at least in the double petal from a portion. I will be trying again, with less agressive tapping.

I also had a shell fuse not light, or at least transfer fire to the shell contents.

In other news, I'll have a tutorial for making said 6" double petal shell up soon. I may start writing the tutorial sometime soon, and add the pictures next weekend when I can get home and grab my memory card reader.

When you are at it, Mumbles, could you make a tutorial on paper hemis as well?(If you make them yourself..)

I know the one on Passfire, and the "golf ball method", but if you do make them, please include it in your toturial on round shells.

Myself, I only use ball shells for my rocket headers

Paper hemis are hard to get for the right price or quite labourous to make from scratch..

I generally use commercial hemi's. Normally I would make the inner petal by hand by pasting with gummed tape over a 3" plastic shell. I decided to just use a 3" paper shell instead on this one. The problem is, all my 3" paper hemis seemed to get up and disappear. I had at least 50 of them, and used maybe 5. I'll have to look around a little better because I know I have them. I just used a 3" plastic hemi with holes drilled in them for this shell, but generally I try to shy away from plastic.

This is not pyro related at all but I'm mad and dissapointed at the Spiderman 3 movie because it freakin sucks big ones oh my goodness it sucked.

That sucks to hear. The other ones were epic.

I got a little depressed the other night because I met this gorgeous girl from California who recently moved to a town close to here. Hung out with her all night and it was obvious that she wanted to have "relations", but she had to leave early.

There's always next time. :D