APC Forum

Introductions

Mumbles

This is one of the places to do it Sigjak. We have a contingent here spanning the entire width of 'beginner' to 'expert professionals'.

First, read old posts. Then ask questions. We'll try to answer.

Welcome aboard!

Lloyd

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm Sleipner, which hints at my Scandinavian decent, but live down under for close to 20 years. My interests are obviously pyro (from as young as six when I got my first chemistry set and going on for decades after that) but coming from the science side. I don't like quick and dirty. I like doing things from scratch for the fun of it even if buying is sometimes simpler. That will also help when the zombie apocalypse comes.

Related interests are electronics, micro controllers, electromechanics, 3D printers, sensing, algorithms, process control etc.

/Sleipner

Thanks guys! I'll be browsing the massive knowledge base in the forums for a while, and later perhaps discuss some back burner projects I'm working on. If I think they might be of general interest.

/Sleipner

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

I'm Erwin from the Netherlands. Recently started playing with sugar rockets and hoping to find more information on this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am a latecomer. so far, for me this hobby has been rather a "figuring it out" than "doin' it" exercise ;-). but I am sure that this forum will provide a lot of inspiration for me, so that I finally may get my lame arse off!!

You're a PF fan, too? <smile>

To some extent, aren't we all? There is something special about their concerts, and thanks to them the response to "when pigs can fly" is "Right, so, back in 1977, when one (the first?) of their pigs flew from London to Kent, on it's own..."

I keep returning to the few great classics...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!
Thank you so much for accepting me here. I'm Brazilian and I do not speak English very well.
My name is Johnny, I'm 23 years old and I'm passionate about fireworks and garage chemistry as long as I can remember.

Heh! Johnny, perhaps (ONLY 'perhaps') you do not speak it well, but you certainly write it well.

I only wish citizens of the USA could do as well!

Welcome to the site.

Lloyd

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings! I have been shown the way, kindly, to "Introductions", having done so elsewhere not aware of this category (after years of forums, I still don't know the correct name for the sub-headings, so, "category").

I am old, very old, and can easily recall the time when M-80s, Cherry Bombs, and BIG firecrackers about 4" long (Chicagoans called those "Dago-bombs", no offense hopefully), were sold in advance of every 4th. of July. I was born and raised there, left the area at age 30, though, and have been back very few times. The last few years there, a mighty display was done on the 4th. by my hometown, using the high school parking lot for launching. The God-awfullest aerial bombshells were fired which reached perhaps 300 feet, exploding with the largest noise I'd ever heard, or have heard since. The flash was as big as a residential building. We watched from ~ 1/4 mile away, closest one could get, and the shock wave could be felt by our bodies!

Small aerial bombshells were sold routinely to the public. At about age 12, I ordered a fireworks set from a place in Ohio, proof of age was a non-existent concept then. It contained a number of bombshells of about 3/4" OD, the cardboard tubes being quite short, about 5". Some were two and three shells mounted on common bases, made of wood. I took careful note of how they were constructed and fused. Also included were Roman Candles and a few Skyrockets, small, but nice. Until one landed up on a neighbor's gutter, where it exploded forth a pretty burst of stars, onto his shingle roof! My Dad was furious. After that incident, forthcoming activities were reserved for the farm in Michigan.

Looking forward to learning, expressing past experiences, more here! Hope no one is bored by an overly talkative old guy!

tenney

x-ray-10.gif

Volumetric reduction of a solid, metal, squeezed by enormous explosion-induced pressure, frames only a few microseconds apart. Solids are incompressible, right?

Edited by tenneyguy

Welcome aboard, Tenny! No... we won't be troubled by 'talkativeness'... I'm guilty of the same!

We have a few 'oldsters' here. I've been LOVING fireworks since the mid-50s, and making them (crudely at first, of course) since the early 1960s. I went 'pro' some time later.

I now design and build tools and develop chemical processes for other fireworks companies.

But - at heart - it's STILL a hobby. I LOVE fireworks. Do what you love, and you'll always be happy!

Lloyd

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, Tenny! No... we won't be troubled by 'talkativeness'... I'm guilty of the same!

We have a few 'oldsters' here. I've been LOVING fireworks since the mid-50s, and making them (crudely at first, of course) since the early 1960s. I went 'pro' some time later.

I now design and build tools and develop chemical processes for other fireworks companies.

But - at heart - it's STILL a hobby. I LOVE fireworks. Do what you love, and you'll always be happy!

Lloyd

Thanks for the welcome! Still wobbling about, trying to figure out foibles such as why my cursor would not work outside the quote box this time, but did elsewhere.

Anyhow, have you ever experienced any kind of pyrotechnics related accident?

tenney

In 1999, I was burned badly (1st, 2nd, and shallow 3rd-degree) over the left arm and left side of my face by the auto-ignition of some super-fine Mg dust I was trying to disperse with Cab-O-Sil. There's a write-up of it in my Ball Milling Theory and Practice for the Amateur Pyrotechnician .

Beyond that, I've been present during one fairly minor injury accident (another person suffered some minor burns), and one fairly major fire in a manufacturing area, caused by careless testing of products too close to a drying yard.

Lloyd

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone. My name is Jake. I'm a 14 year old kid from Pennsylvania, USA. I am pretty new to pyro and am just getting into aerial shells and rockets. I have been also on the APC Discord for a few weeks prior to getting my account up and running on here.

A few of my other hobbies include:

- Math

- Programming

- Electronics

and a some other things

Have a nice Sunday!

And, you're among like-minded fellows! I'm a retired EE and 'computer' guy (M/L programming and C/C#) and have been building fireworks since about 1964 (not very well, at first, but.... <grin>) So, I started making fireworks about age 15.

Lloyd