APC Forum

Introductions

Mumbles

Hi,

Been reading the forum and has such good information and friendly and helpful members I figured it best to join up! Been a pyro since age 3, excited to be involved in future discussions on the forums.

Interested in mainly shows, rockets and artillery shells. Both bought and making of Rockets and Shells. Don't know much compared to members here, but looking forward to participating in future discussions and gaining valuable knowledge from other members.

~Will

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. My name is Bill but everyone calls me Puff. (Long story). Anyway, I'm new to this just this year. I just started a couple months ago with a Skylighter's rocket and shell kit. I was only able to get 1 rocket with heading and 1 shell done for the 4th this year but I was surprised how well I did. I watch alot of Ned's video's. He's been a big help. The only issue I've had so far is getting my lift powder strong enough to send my 2.5 inch shells high enough. Luckily I had some commercial BP that I had bought. Anyway I'm working on projects for next years 4th or even another holiday and I have so many questions. Thank you all for any help you give me.

PUFF

Hi everyone. My name is Bill but everyone calls me Puff. (Long story). Anyway, I'm new to this just this year. I just started a couple months ago with a Skylighter's rocket and shell kit. I was only able to get 1 rocket with heading and 1 shell done for the 4th this year but I was surprised how well I did. I watch alot of Ned's video's. He's been a big help. The only issue I've had so far is getting my lift powder strong enough to send my 2.5 inch shells high enough. Luckily I had some commercial BP that I had bought. Anyway I'm working on projects for next years 4th or even another holiday and I have so many questions. Thank you all for any help you give me.

PUFF

The BP kits (all of them) suck. Unless you're happy with mediocre rocket fuel, nice fountains, and absolutely shitty BP for lift, burst, and salutes. That is because the cheap commercial hardwood airfloat charcoal they all contain is shit for BP. It's an industrial waste product. Hardwood airfloat is fine for making some star comps, slow blackmatch, and primes, but is absolute shit for anything requiring a respectable burn rate. It's simple to make your own super-hot charcoal for cheap and there are many threads here on it and tutorials (some good, many crap) online. It's really easy to retort a gallon paint can of wood to hot charcoal in an hour or so. Willow, eastern red cedar, alder are some of the woods that make hot BP. Of you can buy it. Fireworkcharcoal.com has excellent paulownia charcoal (reputed to be among the fastest for the hottest BP) for sale and ERC, too. Tested and true. But a relatively expensive option vs making your own. Commercial BP is over $20/lb, when you can find it. And you need to buy multiple grains. It gets expensive fast when BP is $3/pound with homemade charcoal. Maybe $4/pound if you pay for decent charcoal (it's only 15% so a pound of charcoal makes a lot of BP for a new hobbyist).

You know the basics of making BP. Very cool. That's essential. Now dump the kit charcoal to the side (for slow stuff) and get/make some "real" charcoal and learn what decent homemade super-hot BP is all about. And what an absolute pleasure it is to work with. You will impress yourself and be pissed off at the company that sold a new fireworker a kit that makes crap BP. Gram-for-gram, your hot homemade granulated (or corned if that's your thing) BP can easily eclipse commercial Goex etc in energy release vs time and pyro utility. At a fraction of the cost.

If the fireworking companies wanted to do the community a service they would include a halfway decent charcoal in their BP kits and charge accordingly--I'm sure the frustrations associated with making serviceable BP from shitty kit hardwood airfloat turn off a lot of newbies to fireworking--the only people who are purchasing those kits. If so, the kit seller are doing not only the purchaser a disservice, but they're also potentially losing future sales if they cause new folks to say " doesn't work, can't do it...".

Welcome.

Edited by SharkWhisperer

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm new at this forum, but I have been making fireworks for quite some time now. But not for the couple of last years, since I had some problems with getting perchlorate. This problem is now solved since I make this myself now. (Don't worry, the chlorates are properly destroyed, this was tested with indigo carmine.) Since I have access to the required chemicals, I opted to resume my fire working hobby.

Back in the day, I made mostly rockets drivers without any effects due to a lack of budgets. I also made one successfully 3 inch shell and loads of great reports. Who doesn't like 7-3 flash, am I right? :) Although right now I would like to focus more on visuals instead of loud bangs. This will start with testing out different compositions and some small scale test.

I hope to share some results on this forum and perhaps discuss different compositions etc.

Regards,

vanBassum

Hello,

I'm new at this forum, but I have been making fireworks for quite some time now. But not for the couple of last years, since I had some problems with getting perchlorate. This problem is now solved since I make this myself now. (Don't worry, the chlorates are properly destroyed, this was tested with indigo carmine.) Since I have access to the required chemicals, I opted to resume my fire working hobby.

Back in the day, I made mostly rockets drivers without any effects due to a lack of budgets. I also made one successfully 3 inch shell and loads of great reports. Who doesn't like 7-3 flash, am I right? :) Although right now I would like to focus more on visuals instead of loud bangs. This will start with testing out different compositions and some small scale test.

I hope to share some results on this forum and perhaps discuss different compositions etc.

Regards,

vanBassum

Welcome, sir :)

Now if you can fill a firework with timed beraqs then we want to see the video. But yes pretty colours have their place too!

Welcome to the party.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all!

Old timer here. Been out of the game for a while and wanted to jump on a forum with some good info and members. Saw this place and immediately wanted to join. In the San Antonio area in Texas if anyone knows of a good group to join locally. That would be great! Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe!

• Like 1

Hello and thank you for approving me. After many years of stupidity and recklessly playing with fireworks Ive decided I should probably take this ho by serious. Im looking to get licensed and just doing small shows in my backyard. Ok its 10 acres so smallish shows eventually. I do have some experience with BP since I have a working cannon for blanks etc. again looking to learn a lot and thanks again or the acceptance.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
Hi. my name is Daniel and i come from sweden. I work as a truck driver in europe.I have been working with pyro for 8 years now mostly with shells 3-12 inch. Sighning up to this forum to find knowledge and also share my knowledge with you.
  • Like 1

Hi. my name is Daniel and i come from sweden. I work as a truck driver in europe.I have been working with pyro for 8 years now mostly with shells 3-12 inch. Sighning up to this forum to find knowledge and also share my knowledge with you.

Welcome Dan! Tell Henrik Zetterberg I said hello too :D

• 2 weeks later...

http://fatlizard.com.au/temp/australia-domed-round-flag-small.jpg G'day from Down Under. Call me CO, or Jack

Pyro interests, past and current:

• 'crackers' and BP salvaged from Chinese fireworks as a kid,
  • Ammonium Triiodide as a kid
  • Gelignite + ANFO as a bigger kid
  • BP, nitrocellulose as solid and lacquer, an improved (I think anyway) Nichrome fuse, and remote detonation.
  • Looking to make K perchlorate (and any other pyrogens/energetic materials)

Some life experiences:

• Chased kangaroos on horseback, as a kid
  • Outside of Oz I've lived and worked in New Zealand, Malaysia, USA.
  • Two hours grilling by Malaysian Immigration who were convinced I was working on a tourist visa. I convinced them otherwise, although that's exactly what I was doing
  • Travelled to or passed through many others, from Colombia to Tokyo to Egypt
  • Caught and milked venomous snakes (bitten once)
  • Counted cards at Blackjack
  • Fended off a knife attach, as part of my employment at the time
  • Arrested many offenders, some quite physically, as part of my employment at the time
  • Know a little of Mandarin Chinese
  • Computer programmer for many years

Some other things I may have either forgotten, or choosen not to mention here

Any other Aussies here?

http://fatlizard.com.au/temp/australia-domed-round-flag-small.jpg G'day from Down Under. Call me CO, or Jack

Any other Aussies here?

A few I rekon. Just sold some rub and brine to a place in Melbourn. I find you a friendly lot overall :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all. My name is John and (as they say) I've smelt the smoke. I'm a newbie, but I am passionate about fireworks. /jb

Hi all. My name is John and (as they say) I've smelt the smoke. I'm a newbie, but I am passionate about fireworks. /jb

Welcome..

Howdee. I smelt many smokes. Hickory, apple, burning car. Gotta say BP is well up there in my list :D

Do ya think I could make BP bacon somehow? ;)

Edited by Richtee

Hi I'm Todd, been doing this for 8 months, made about 50 3" ball shells now, a few 5" and about a hundred 1.75

post-23686-0-62076800-1642529684_thumb.jpg

post-23686-0-20748600-1642529715_thumb.jpg

post-23686-0-82346100-1642529738_thumb.jpg

post-23686-0-03554600-1642529754_thumb.jpg

Edited by Todd

Hi I'm Todd, been doing this for 8 months, made about 50 3" ball shells now, a few 5" and about a hundred 1.75

Welcome, and keep cognizant of thy fingers ;)

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Name is Robert. I've experimented with fireworks for 60 + years.Must have done something correct, still have 10 fingers, ears and eyes.

Hi,

Name is Robert. I've experimented with fireworks for 60 + years.Must have done something correct, still have 10 fingers, ears and eyes.

Great start! And welcome! :D

60+ years, nice! You must have some cool stuff to share!? What's your favorite device rocket vs shell, etc?

Charles

Hello all, Brian here.

New to pyro, having fun making smoke bombs at the moment. Both basic white, and colored using dyes from http://coloredsmoke.com/ (Walrus Enterprises).

Having fun, and can't wait to start other projects.

How was your experience with that company? What products did you purchase, and how were the prices?

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all, name is Gintaras. From Lithuania.

I am interested in the amateur launch of fireworks. I make launch systems for myself.

Hi my name is Blake

I have been a pyro all my life.

Recently life has given me the time and funds to start hand making my own pyro.

Currently into 1# BP Rockets and Mortar Shells

Currently make everything with the Holy Trinity