APC Forum

Introductions

Mumbles

Hey there,

My name is Nathanael (I'm also called Nathan or Nat) and I'm from rural Idaho. Sometimes I go by my ham callsign (KG7UAT). My hobbies are model aircraft and model rockets, and I really like computers too. Telecommunications are also fascinating (which is why I got into amateur radio). Recently I've been working on making me own sugar rockets.

I must welcome and warn you. I have about 6 grand with of radio equipment sitting idle since I found pyro!

• 1 month later...

I must welcome and warn you. I have about 6 grand with of radio equipment sitting idle since I found pyro!

Seems like a lot of hams find their way into pyro, my gear is gathering dust too ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Evening All

I've been working in the amateur world for a while now but mostly just for friends and family. Now that the family is growing bigger and more so-fist-icated, they are asking for bigger and better and making me stretch. Due to this I've come to conclusion that I need to learn, ask questions, and above all have safe fun. I've been a lurker her for many years and decided that it was time to own up, donate and be a responsible adult.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and doing the best I can to make sure I dont make a fool of myself.

Thanks

Nameless

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, my name is Hunter and I've been working in fireworks for about 6 years. I work for Central States Fireworks in Illinois and I'm good friends with braddsn thats in this group. I am a PGI member and I'm looking to get started into making my own shells! Looking forward to learning as much as I can.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

My name is Paul. I am a pyroholic.

PA made fireworks legal recently and I'm going ham. I used to buy them, lite them and burn them. Now I store them and light them whenever I want. I still, burn them. So that's fun and all but very repetitious so here I am.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

Mike here.. im looking for people in the Maryland area to exchange ideas and give me advice... i have been doing pyro for three years... self taught

Mostly valine perc based stuff but looking for better comps

Thaks and hope to hear from you

Hey guys

Mike here.. im looking for people in the Maryland area to exchange ideas and give me advice... i have been doing pyro for three years... self taught

Mostly valine perc based stuff but looking for better comps

Thaks and hope to hear from you

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, looks like I need to make a post.

I'm new to pyro, but am lurking and devouring literature in the hopes of being able to make a magazine and start making comets and small stuff when I get home for the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Been poking at the art for most of my life with great success in my mind....

Figured that I would actually learn how to do it in real life.

Cheers.

Hello my name is Jonathon I am from Australia, I've been doing pyro for around 2 or so years, been loving it ever since. Edited by Fbiopenup

Hello everybody,

I have been interested in pyro for about a year after making a wireless ignition system because I had leftover radio modules. I recently set up a little laboratory.

I made my first set of 5x 3" shells yesterday with buell red and tiger tail stars. I'm about to paste them.

I would add a picture if I knew how.

• 2 months later...

Hello all, I'm fairly new to the pyro scene. I'm looking to learn as much as possible but when it comes to actually making something, I would like to stick to smoke devices for the time being. At least until I'm a bit more comfortable with the chemical compounds I would be working with. Just taking baby steps with this hobby. That seems to be the safest way. Eventually though I would like to make some gerbs and rockets. The only thing I've been having trouble with is finding dye powder for making colored smoke devices. I can only find red and yellow solvent dye. If anyone has a line on some other colors please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey y'all, I'm don, And this is the main reason regarding why I'm attempting to learn pyro, When was nearly 7 my Dad and older brother made a lot of fireworks; Rockets, salutes, shells, etc He had a book I forget the title of it but it explained somewhat detailed on how to create fireworks, Since then had a love for lighting up a dark sky and My poor taste of salutes, Anyway I periodically view the fireworks on the 4th and decided to try making a few fireworks myself, Came into this blind, Hope I can acquire some experience in this kind of hobby, Anyway cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am from Southern Louisiana. Just started making my own fireworks after years of wanting to. Not new to fireworks just making them. Had a successful 4th this year and been studying for about 2 years before I even attempted anything. Would be great to see if anyone else is from around my area. No pyro clubs anywhere close to me. Nearest one is almost 7 hours away that I found. Would be great if there was a search people by location on here to allow possible get togethers. Happy shooting and be safe.

Hello,

I missed this thread and posted elsewhere for my first post.

Anyway... A bit about myself:

I have been interested in pyrotechnics for quite awhile and have been e-firing scripted shows for the last three years. I recently took a PGI display operators course, I still need to fulfill the experience part of the certification but it is a start. I also recently received my type 54 FEL. I'm not sure if the FEL will be particularly useful for home shows but I figured that I might as well get it. My next goal to to learn how to safely make black powder and begin making my own fireworks. Initially my plan is to work on flame effects to add something different to the home shows and eventually I would like to learn how to make shells.

I am located in Lapeer County, Michigan and would like to get in touch with local enthusiasts, I am primarily interested in the safety aspects of working with black powder. I am rather attached to my fingers and would like to keep them where they are. Seeing the actual process as well would be nice. I have a mill and lathe along with other metal fab equipment and could trade work for some assistance.

-Eric