APC Forum

Introductions

Mumbles

lloyd has a lot of knowledge and is always willing to share....................

Edited by memo

Thank you! That was nice. I try to.

Sometimes I tend to get a little 'didactic', because I've also been the GM of a professional manufacturer of 1.4 (professional, UN0431) goods to the trade.

So, if I get a bit 'instructional' in some of my posts, it's just because 1) I can't control my typing fingers, and 2) I have some considerable experience making this stuff! <grin>

LLoyd

ya know lloydi have had my hard times with you, in the end you have saved my ass a couple of times. that is the reason for my post. if some one listens to you a lot of grief can be avoided. your knowledge base is huge

Edited by memo

Well, sorry for those hard times. I'm quieter and a bit more pleasant in person than is my on-line persona -- if that's worth anything!

Lloyd

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Glad to be among like minded hobbyists.

Look forward to joining the community.

Good tidings

Cheers

REDBACK

Hello Guys,

I have been reading a lot of your Ideas and conclusions. They are great and your safety is at the top.

I have been blowing up things sense I was a kid in the country and had a lot of blasting going on at the rock and gravel pit not too far from home.

I found a book at a yard sale when I was in high school called Advanced Pyrotechnics and fell in love with it. I just never found the time to make anything except good flash. It makes my famous Neighbor Haters my friends look forward to get some from me every year.

Now I want to learn the art of fireworks.

Thanks.

David

David,

Welcome aboard.

If I might -- flash powder is about the WORST thing to 'give away', in any form. Let us guide you (please). There are great ways you can entertain friendly neighbors with fireworks, without endangering them or putting yourself in legal jeopardy.

Part of what we do is make fireworks. The other part is trying to keep things safe for ourselves and others. Both can be done.

Take care. And again, welcome to the forum!

Lloyd

David,

Welcome aboard.

If I might -- flash powder is about the WORST thing to 'give away', in any form. Let us guide you (please). There are great ways you can entertain friendly neighbors with fireworks, without endangering them or putting yourself in legal jeopardy.

Part of what we do is make fireworks. The other part is trying to keep things safe for ourselves and others. Both can be done.

Take care. And again, welcome to the forum!

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd.

Only a select few get some of my neighbor haters. I don't give anything out like candy on halloween. Safety is my number one concern.

No worries,

David

Hi everyone! I'm Doug from Ohio. kind of fell into pyro two years ago while chemical shopping online for high power rocketry. I also reload ammunition, cast my own bullets and slugs. It's fortunate the hobbies overlap somewhat. Starting in pyro with a bp ball mill, aluminum, several chemicals like copper and iron oxide, nitrates, AP, etc. certainly made it easier. I found a PDF of turbo pyro, and just ran with it. My first device was a chrysanthemum mine. Very pretty. Of course I had to go make aerial shells right away. Little 2" cannisters ala Fulcanelli. They broke like horse tails, but I got plenty of Oooos and Aaahs anyway. This year I used two disks on each end, much heavier paper, and spiked with three strands of crochet thread. The new shells made (almost) round flowers and got quite a bit louder I think from the stout construction. Right now I want to do lance work and set pieces. The missus doesn't like really loud booms, I like the neighbors, and I'm very attached to my fingers. So I'm not really interested in flash or whistles. No chlorates either for me just yet. The downside risk is too great. There might be some bp maroons or thunder mugs someday, but high explosives in my shed or flying out of mortars is way outside my comfort zone. Along with safety, every question I've had so far has already been asked and answered somewhere in the forums. Looking forward to being able to download files and such now that I have a first post! Thanks.

Doug

Welcome to the clan, Doug.

Find yourself some good flax twine like the Italians use, and you'll be happier, yet!

http://seacorope.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/TWINE-17-STITCHING-TWINE-1200x800.jpg

Take things gradually (as you appear to be doing), and this can be a very rewarding hobby (and even livelihood). I've been doing it since 1964 as a hobby, and since 1995 professionally.

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd

Lloyd, do you happen to have a reasonable priced source for Ruby twine? The thinner stuff is hard to find, and Garry Hanson charges too much IMO.

Mumbles,

There IS no 'reasonably-priced' version of that stuff! It's expensive. But it's just the BEST stuff around for spiking!

I ordinarily have six or eight rolls of it in stock... but when it runs out, I cringe at the cost!

I, too, prefer the thinner stock like Gary carries. A few other dealers have it, too... but they're all about the same price (or more!).

Lloyd

Thanks, I'll look for it. I wasted lots of time and compositions with sissal and hemp beading cord. It usually pays to use the best.

post-21812-0-30161500-1534808811_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all! Im new to this site. I plan on starting my adventures with plain rockets before moving on to sending payloads up, stars, etc. I hope I can lean on everyone for their expertise and get some rockets in the air soon!

• 4 weeks later...

Hy,

My name is Robi, and I just reset to my childhood hobby. Thinking back, I made some sirious mistakes, and nonsense, but now at age 21, i think i mature enough to work for this beautiful hobby.

I can deal whit this 2 days a week, because i dont't be at home at the rest of the week. But I made a pretty good ball mill in the days, and a 10-shot starmine cake frame. I will upload photos in the weekend.

Cheers everyone :D

Hey everybody! I am new to this site. I live in northern Europe. I made pyro long time ago and returned hobby now much much later. Each year I have wanted to paint the sky, so I have been dependent on the purchase of finished products last 10 years. I have already "old fart", for over 50 years, the first experiments I made almost 40 years ago. This is a very nice site, I've already read hundreds of pages of good information, thank you to all writers.

PS. I have all my fingers in the hands, and I'm also going to keep them all, so security first and foremost!

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

My name is james (A.K.A The Walking Maniac)

I got that nickname because of my love for pyro... ive had a few bumps (blown myself up 2, 2nd degree burns and ye i am fine lol)

I have CRAZY ideas! But i think they are all worth the "blood (yes litaraly) sweat and tears (that too)"

Im 14 and love blowing shit up!! Lol

Um... James, just so you understand the purpose of this site -- It's not for simply 'blowing things up', but for furthering the design and practices around making real fireworks. Yes, we make 'salutes', too, but not specifically to 'blow things up', but rather to augment and enhance fireworks effects.

I do it professionally AND as a hobby (have - professionally - for over 30 years, and as an amateur since I was your age -- actually 13!). I'm involved with commercial fireworks every day, and amateur fireworks most evenings and weekends.

You'll get a LOT of good info here about how to make fireworks, but you won't get much of anything about "Blowing Shit Up".

We're here to help, so don't take me wrong. Your intro post would make most of the users here view you with some caution!

Lloyd

• Like 1