APC Forum

Introductions

Mumbles

Hey all..

I'm "Tweeks"... co-founder of nrvr.org (TRA#143) out here in Blacksburg VA. I just got my L3 at LDRS, and boy.. this big stuff is pricey.. so I'm just starting to poke around and look back in to APC DIY. Yeah.. a mixing n00b.. but some of the guys in my club have mixed (the right way) before.. so I'm sure I've have a few mentors.

One question.. I was planning on keeping most of my by bigger rockets all 75mm motors.. so if anyone can recommend a food experimental motor case setup.. I'm all ears. I've been told Loki is pretty popular. I have four kids and no access to a machine shop, so I don't have the time or money to "spin my own".

Thoughts?

Tweeks

• 2 weeks later...
My name is Sean! New member here at apc.Since I was a kid I've always wanted to make my own fireworks and that time has come. Today I will be testing my first batch of bp. Thanks for the help everyone!

Welcome to both Tweeks and Sean. Hope you enjoy the forum.

Hello everyone,

My nickname is limak. I'm interested in pyro since childhood.

I am very happy that i found this forum because it is real repository of knowledge.

Hope that I won't hurt anyone from my English ^_^

Edited by limak

Hi, I have been helping out a commercial pyro at a few shows lately so thought I would drop in to learn some more.

John.

Edited by 010077

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

My name is Peter, and I'm PeteyPyro here. While I'm newly registered here, I've been working with pyrotechnics for about 45 years. I look forward to continuing to learn more about my hobby, and contribute what I can.

I just installed a relative humidity app on my older cell phone (my new one doesn't have an internal sensor that can be used by the app to estimate approximate relative humidity ). I keep the older cell phone in my hobby shed, and always monitor the humidity, so that I can be safer when working. I believe that many cell phones have this capability too. I recommend that those involved in this hobby should consider installing any of the free apps, that are available, to stay safer from static discharges ruining their day. This is a free way to monitor the relative humidity.

There are also very cheap relative humidity meters available on eBay. I also have "won" two of them for bids around $1-2, shipped free, from China. I use them.

My shed is grounded, as is everything in it (myself included via a 100k ohm esd wrist strap (pc grounding strap)

I hope that this little safety idea can help all to be a little safer, with regards to static discharges.

With best regards, Peter (PeteyPyro)

Welcome Peter and thanks for the info. Here in Tn it's usually so humid you can't get gasoline to light but it gets dry in the winter. This poses no problem to me since I'm sitting inside by the fire rather than fireworking when the air gets crisp.

Hello, I'm Richard from Padova, Italy.

It was unavoidable to land in this forum, if someone is looking for pyro serious answers surfing internet :P

Here I have read TONs of threads before decide to subscribe myself. I hope to find some little but important answers that I need to know ...

Edited by MinamotoKobayashi

• 1 month later...

Hi. Baldor (Xavier) from Spain.

Very new to this, I decided to make some small rockets for the summer solstice, and liked it, so now for better and bigger rockets. I only did a dozen or so 12mm BP core burners with very basic tooling made from scrap, with some tiger tail or small commercial firecrackers payload.

https://youtu.be/x07Z1jPhKRg

I'm a mould designer and CAM programmer by trade, but working in something completely different now. I have the expertise, but not the tooling, to make anything I need for this hobby, and in fact, I have more fun making the tools and utils than firing the rockets (Don't misunderstand me... I really like to make the rockets and firing them, only i'm more in the tool making and designing side).

For the next months.... Learning more about how to safely and reliably make rockets, up to 25.4mm ID, make a reliable paper tube rolling util (motorised maybe?), build some spindles and ramers, maybe make a pneumatic press if time and money permits... And just static experiments until dry season is out.

BTW, almost all I needed to make my first rockets I learned lurking in this nice forum.

Hello. I have loved pyrotechnics for many years and have been making my own gerbs for the past 5 or so. I finally want to expand my horizon a bit. I have been reading various articles for years, but there is so much to get through I decided to get some help and advice from the community.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Thought I'd jump in here. In the rocketry would I would be a BAR (born again rocketeer) not sure what it would be for fireworks. I haven't been active since the mid 90's, although have been checking things out as a guest here and there over the years. But once again making an indepth exploration, will see where it goes.

Austin

Hey everyone, new member here. I've always been interested in pyrotechnics / rocket projectiles, hopefully this forum and its community can help me learn new things I don't know!

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings,

I'm an engineer from eastern Oregon. While I have enjoyed pyrotechnics for a wile, some recent entrepreneurial pursuits have motivated me to finally get my ATF license. Currently, I am trying to figure out how to set up some type 1 or 2 storage without breaking the bank so that I can send in my part 20 application. I look forward to being able to learn from the collective experience of this forum, and hopefully be able to find areas to contribute also.

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening all,

At the age of 58 thought 'I fancy doing something different', went on the internet, made a gerb, then another one, made a catherine wheel and then a tourbillion, now I,m hooked....waiting on my rocket tooling been delivered.

Bring on the fun!!

Paul

• Like 1

Welcome, Paul. We hope you enjoy the forum.
  • Like 1

Hello :)

My name is Alex, im a 30 year old male and i come from europe. im really into pyrotechnics since i was 12 years old.

So how did i come here?

I was in a very bad mood for 1 year long, because of my mothers surprisingly death, in which time i was not really introduced in good-feeling hobbys, they were more a kind of cold feeling and simple producing and finished thingy.

But now there was that old me coming out and showing myself how it was once and im learning to go back to that life i lived.

And now THAT is the real reason why im here ---> i found that lovely flying fountain from usapyro and got some nice hits of imagination on my mind :)

Also i got some tools like a ball-milling-mashine, chems that are necessary and other things like shells and so on.

So i hope that i can come over with some good to share to you :)

• Like 1

Welcome, Alex. You'll find many like minded fireworks enthusiasts here to help you to safely enjoy pyrotechnics. There is a wealth of great information in the various forums, everything from safety to construction, and lots in between.

Hi everyone,

Im Richard, 21 years old, from the Netherlands and I just started the pyro hobby since January 2017. Was kind of hard to start here. Because of the strict law regarding fireworks here..

I must be honest to say that i started pretty dangerous. I started with making Flash powder using KMnO4. Because that was the only oxidizer I could get at that moment. But I didnt really enjoy booms and wanted to start making colored fireworks. After exploring more on the internet my interest switched to Rockets and Shells, making high quality blackpowder and beautifull stars.

I used to break my Rockets and Shells with flash powder (KNO3/AI/S). But never really felt safe while handling them. So i bought a ball mill on ebay and started to make blackpowder coated ricehulls. Which burn now, after some practice, very fast. And now break them all with bp.

I just buyed a star roller and going to experiment with it when I recieve it. Also im going to start with a chlorate cell to produce KClO3, so Im finaly able to make my favorite colors, blue and purple. My most favorite color combination is orange with blue :)

Im still learning and exploreing alot. Most info has been found here on APC, and some chemistry sites. Since all this info im using less and less flash powder. Only when I make a salute im using it now.

I want to learn and explore more about stars and colours. Im sure I will post some posts and perhaps video's occasionally. Im currently bizzy with making my Chlorate cell. So ill see where it brings me.

Regards,

Richard

Edited by redbullzuiper

Welcome aboard, Richard.

I have one good friend working for Disney in The Netherlands, and my family claims my surname is Dutch.

Lloyd