APC Forum

Introductions

Mumbles

Hey from North Carolina!

I've been lurking here for about five years and thought it's about time to join - have been

in love with pyrotechnics since an early age when I got my first chemistry set ;-)

Welcome to the forum...!!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

An Ohio pyro here. Actually a registered assistant and have shot a few professional shows, but for the most part, I'm a hobbyist.

I've put on a few of my own larger displays with great success. Will be getting married in less than a few weeks and pyro has taken sort of a backseat other than the occasional project or experiment.

Been lurking for a long time and gaining some knowledge. Actually seeking some simple advice which I will post in the relevant forum.

Welcome all from the backwood state of Oklahoma. Been experimenting with combustibles from an early age and still have all my fingers. Enjoy reading and sometime laughing at some of the posts.l am on the other side of 60 and might grow up some day, Naw I will probably just grow old..... .PyroDanTheMan

Hello, I am a graduating high school senior who is very interested in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. I am planning on majoring in mechanical engineering at college.

Some of my interests are hockey, computers, guns, and lock picking.

Pyrotechnics have always been interesting to me, but I have little experience other than mixing some Potassium nitrate and sugar and burning it. Recently, I have been doing some research about fireworks, though, and I figured I could give it a shot.

I hope that in the future I can learn a lot about fireworks and have an entertaining hobby for my (rare) spare time.

Edited by Hawkster16

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I found out about this site from a fellow member of the IPA (Iowa Pyrotechnic Association) where I've been a member for about 3 years. So far my building experience is mainly BP rockets. I've taken a class on shell building, mine building, small girandolas, and a couple of rocket classes. I'm retired officially as of June 3rd so now you have an idea how "young" I am. :)

My other interests are dogs. I have two Golden Retrievers and a Labrador Retriever an am going start showing the Black Lab this year. I will still be keeping busy. Just doing stuff that is enjoyable instead of the daily grind.

I hope to learn a lot here. I'll be at Boom Town in Vinton IA in August which is sponsored partially by the IPA. If you're going to be there stop and say Hi

Terry

Hello everyone, My name is Blaine.
I found this site a couple of months ago and decide to join. From what I have read, there are many knowledgeable people here. I am 51 years old and been fooling around with pyrotechnics as a hobby since the age of 13. I found my father’s old handmade star pumps in storage and brought back many memories. My Father held a phd in chemistry and was always involved me with experiments and such, but I will never forget the first rocket we built together. My work has consumed a lot of my time, but recently been making more time for my hobby.

Hi all, I found out about this site from a fellow member of the IPA (Iowa Pyrotechnic Association) where I've been a member for about 3 years. So far my building experience is mainly BP rockets. I've taken a class on shell building, mine building, small girandolas, and a couple of rocket classes. I'm retired officially as of June 3rd so now you have an idea how "young" I am. :)

My other interests are dogs. I have two Golden Retrievers and a Labrador Retriever an am going start showing the Black Lab this year. I will still be keeping busy. Just doing stuff that is enjoyable instead of the daily grind.

I hope to learn a lot here. I'll be at Boom Town in Vinton IA in August which is sponsored partially by the IPA. If you're going to be there stop and say Hi

Terry

Welcome Terry, you sound familiar... light any rockets lately? 😉

Hello everyone, My name is Blaine.

I found this site a couple of months ago and decide to join. From what I have read, there are many knowledgeable people here. I am 51 years old and been fooling around with pyrotechnics as a hobby since the age of 13. I found my fathers old handmade star pumps in storage and brought back many memories. My Father held a phd in chemistry and was always involved me with experiments and such, but I will never forget the first rocket we built together. My work has consumed a lot of my time, but recently been making more time for my hobby.

Welcome Blaine, we need more rocket people here. All these shell guys need someone to keep an eye on them.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, I have been lurking around this site for a while and thought that I would finally make an account. Looking forward to getting to know you guys better, learn, and contribute for years ahead.

A little about me I suppose.. I am by day a software developer but general DIY'r engineer any time else. I have a background in chemistry and love fireworks. I started the journey of pyrotechnics last year with some small scale items such as BP rockets, firecrackers, and small ball shell mortars, but they weren't very good! They worked about half the time correctly, but that is the whole learning process isn't it?

This year, I decided to step it up a notch and have come up with some flawless ball shell BP rockets and am in the process of making a few different star comps for ball shell mortars. Great to be here and cheers. :)

Hey everyone! My name is Frank, and I'm from New Hampshire. I have been into pyro for about 3 years now, and I still consider myself a newbie. I started with rocket candy, and now I mostly build aerial shells. I'm really excited for the fourth this year, still working on making some shells, including my first 3 inchers! Anyway I have gotten tons of knowledge from this forum, and finally decided to join so I can ask questions myself (hopefully not too annoying) and even share some of my own experiences in the chance they could help someone else. Thanks all in advance! :)

• Like 1

Hi, I am Edward, AstroEd is username due to my interest in Astrophotography. New to the Pyro world, not yet interested in making my own fireworks, I have for the last 3 years tried to have a small front yard / out do the neighbors show. No kids or family to entertain just myself and the neighbors enjoyment, I usually carry one item out to driveway at a time light it, run, try to turn around in time to enjoy it.

This year I learned about mortar racks, fusing and remote firing systems all of which I hope to try. Looking at a cobra setup with one receiver but doubt I could get it in time to use this year. Ordered HDPE tubes to try to make my first racks, again not sure if will get in time. But I am here to learn and grow.

• Like 1

Hello, names Johnny. I guess you can consider my a hobbyist in pyrotechnics. I don't do much, I just like to make my own things that go boom sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...
Hiya, I live in SW WA, I am definitely a beginner. I make my own bp, match, etc. I want to move on to shells bigger that standard consumer but.... I live in the city and have prick neighbors. I really need some tooling and would love to meet someone semi local that may be able to steer me in the right direction. Btw I'm over 40 if that matters...
  • Like 1

there are a few peope from washington on this forum, also clubs. i am a transplant from seattle to costa rica so that will do you no good

NPA northwest pyrotechnic association. www.npaclub.org

memo

Edited by memo

Hello, Schel Sullivan here. New pyro from North Carolina. Thanks for allowing me access to APC forums. I am a relative newbie. The past year I have discovered KNO3 sugar rockets, started rolling my own tubes and making sugar rocket engines. Once they became reliable I started working on a delay burn and parachute ejection charges using pyrodex. My model rocket engines are pretty reliable now.

Next I built a completely homemade rocket and made some home made black powder for ejection charge and successfully launched an all homemade rocket. At this time I played with some homemade bottle rockets too, still using sugar rocket as fuel.

I also have become fascinated with gun cotton when I saw it being ignited in someones bare hand. So Ive followed a recipe for making with stump remover and drain cleaner. Ive got it down pretty well and my gun cotton burns super fast with zero ash behind. I love playing with it. Setting it off in my bare hand is quite a rush.

Ive played around with homemade crackers based on my paper rocket tubes using both the homemade gun cotton and black powder.

Im still very new and realize the dangers inherit in this hobby. Thats why Im here, to read, learn and get advice about how to remain safe and legal. Im starting to become interested in more fireworks and not just rockets.

Thanks for letting me on board,

Schel

Edited by Skullivan

Welcome Schel! Glad to have you aboard, read up and ask all the questions you like. :D

Hi, I live in SW WA, I am a beginner. I make my own bp, b match, q match etc. I want to move on to bigger than standard consumer shells but.... I live in the city and it will be a couple years before I move. I really need some small rocket tooling and would love to meet someone semi local one day that may be able to answer things in person. I've struggled through learning other hobbies purely w/o personal input and it was hard.

As a short who am I, US Army(Desert Storm), GI Bill(two Comp Sci Degrees), now normal life.

What got me into pyro/science to a higher level was the irritation of the cost of exploding targets for rifle shooting. Easy solution, then I want a .22 to set it off, add a few more things, not too hard. For now, living in a city, I have to be satisfied w/ slight pumping up of consumer goods or going out into public timberlands(ya ya ya I know). When the time comes that I can move out of town to enough acreage that bigger shells won't bother my neighbors.....I want to at least understand all the basics I can absorb w/o actually doing.

Edited by Asaster420

Hello, Ive recently been intrigued with the idea of making my own. What sites are the best to buy supplies? I'm mostly interested in making shells.

Edited by jayjules

Here's one I posted in another thread:

Gents, I'd deal with only three dealers if I were you; PyroChemSource, Hobby Chemical and Phil's General Store. They're established in the community and active pyros themselves. Individual members are often willing to share the bounty of their hauls and i love those deals too! Otherwise I buy through eBay so I have their guarantee to back my purchase.

You also need to read through the supplier reviews section for some good pointers.

Not iincluded in my list above is Woodysrocks.com for tooling of any pyro type.

Enjoy!