APC Forum

Introductions

Mumbles

Hello. My name is Adam and I live in N.C. Thabks for letting me join! I look forward to learning as much as I can about pyrotechnics!

Id like to add a few things about myself... I am a home builder by trade. As such, I have ALWAYS had an interest in designing and building things. I am an avid woodworker, novice metal worker and new fireworker 😉. I enjoy 3D printing as well.

Ever since I can remember, I have enjoyed watching fireworks. That quickly turned into enjoying buying and shooting them for family and friends. It wasnt unit this year (I have no idea how it took this long) that my mind was blown away about this side of the fire working world! After the fourth, I decided to look for ideas on what to do with the cheap Texas Pop Rockets that you get for free at a local firework stand. Pinterest lead me to the Skylighter website, which then lead me to Ned Gorskis YouTube channel.

In the matter of a few months, I have see all of Neds (free) videos and studied the fire working 101 vids religiously. I have obtained a handful of supplies from skylighter, as well as the cohete rocket kit from Woodys. I have built a ball mill and am trying to dial in making BP. Ive also joined my local pyro club.

I have a lot of respect for all of you guys and greatly value the information and brotherhood that exists. This is a great thing!

Edited by Jandabuilders

Hello to all of you above. I hope you enjoy your time here and that you learn a great deal here as well. and Thanks for joining the forum................Pat

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so I need to make a post, and I really do hate introductions.

I've been doing pyro for about 20 years, I'm over 60 now. Had a HE manuf. license from ATF for a few years, paperwork got me to give it up.

I have been a builder in the past; ball shells, cylinder shells, rockets etc. I'm not doing much now, don't have the time.

Been to about 9 PGI conventions, my first was Fargo in '93. One more and I'm an Old Snort.

Still shoot a display each year, and recently got a Cobra system to replace our Firelynx system.

Anyway, that's my introduction

-urbs-

Hello everyone, My name is Steve and I'm 49 years old looking ot get started with pyro with the intentions of making some sparklers for my family and friends.

I've read on this forum in the past (a few years ago) and would like to start participating. Thanks everyone!

Steve

Hello, Making fireworks big or small is great fun! There are a lot of small fireworks you can make, I used to make chinese lanterns. After firing the drivers it would light magic whip in the middle causing the lantern to open. And an other that I recall is using the magic whips about 3 inches a part, in-line at ten feet long, hung up between poles using quick match to light them. So enjoy your stay here!.........Pat

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

I've been active in the local pyro scene like 10 years ago. Made myself a decent ball mill, made some granulated BP, some sugar rockets, various stars (my favorite was Winokur 20, I still remember the name), some 4" shells, FP, salutes, whistle mix, etc. Then I kind of went dormant for a while as life required me to do other things. So 10 years later I'm kind of becoming interested again mainly from the perspective of chemistry as I got my university chemistry diploma in the mean time. I have no idea what forum accounts I used back in the days or whether I was even present on this forum, so I just decided to make a new account.

Greetings all!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guys,new to the forum. Looking forward to learning as much as I can about safety and safely making different compositions colors and glitters. Going to stay on the hobby side of things. Comets,shells and small rockets are my goals for now. I watch a lot of Ed Gorski on YouTube along with others that do amazing work. Safety first so I can keep it green.

Sorry Ned

Welcome Pdh.

Ned has some great videos, dont be shy to ask lots of questions. A bunch of knowledgable people here, always willing to help, and share.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't introduce myself at all since I joined almost two years back. It's a shame & I feel appologetic. Reason behind is I was brainstormed with so many discussions in different sections & may be jump passed this section. But rule is a rule & I do like to be disciplined though late.

I'm Souvik, age 43 from West Bengal, India. Live with spouse & kid(in 7th standard).

I try to do pyro because a well built product outweighs a consumer one and gives me immense satisfaction. One can cook a curry with slightly tampering the recipe that may not affect the taste much. But in pyro no question at all.

Besides that consumer fireworks most of the time are nastily overpriced. I love creating different effects. I've been doing this limitedly over many years but last few years the practices accelerated a lot.

Here due to stringent rules necessary chemicals are not available and no. of accessories are not sold. So I need to depend on old toiling techniques. Rather pyrotechnic is seldom encouraged.

I consider this as fantastic platform to learn the artistry of fireworks.

Here I have a dream to share. I wish to go to Malta & have a hand on experience with those expart fireworks.

• 1 month later...

Greeting all! Jeremy from Georgia here! 40 years old, overly cautious (now), and still have all my appendages! Recently getting back into pyrotechnics after a three year hiatus.

I have experience with rockets, small aerial shells, stars, and various forms of black powder salutes. Yes, admittedly, I have some very limited experience with flash, but I've seen enough videos on YouTube of the dangers, and I have made a personal choice to avoid any form of flash powder in my pyrotechnics at all costs. I've been a lurker here on APC for long enough to know that most people who are interested in FP are looking to make salutes and reports, and are typically irresponsible teenage boys. LOL

My primary reason for being here is to learn more about the safety and techniques involved in making pyrotechnics for personal/family entertainment and enjoyment, and quite honestly, to learn how to make more with less. I prefer safe and simple, using fewer and "safer" chemicals to make a variety of different effects, as opposed to having lots of chemicals that could potentially (and dangerously) react or decompose over time, for just a few specific purposes. I'm really interested in all the different ways black powder and variations on black powder can be employed from everything from lift and burst to various forms of stars, primes, fountains, and comets. Rockets are also a big interest in mine, having started out with Estes model rockets as a teenager, and I would love to learn how to make whistle, strobe, and rockets with headings, as well as home made Estes type rockets complete with recovery parachutes.

Looking forward to learning as much as I can from the wealth of information here at APC! It's great to meet you guys!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Iam Luckyethanol. New to this forum, not to pyro. Iam building oldschool china crackers. Later, i will start some new projects like stars and so on. Looking forward to learn some new stuff. :D

• 3 months later...

Hey all, new dude here. I have lots of memories as a kid trying to blow up things that shouldn't have been blown up. I thought it might be fun to come back to the topic as an adult and try my hand at a little more organized form of chaos.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there! I'm Elisey.I'm from Belarus .I have been making pyrotehnics for 6 years .I have come to this forum from another pyroforum because I think I can enrich my pyro experience here ,communicate with other pyros and practice my English.

I also like learning something new and science in general.

Edited by Elisey
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everybody,

Just wanted to say hi. I am new to this forum, but not to pyro.

Have not been very active the last couple of years, but would like to pick up again.

Hello!

My name is Sergei and I'm from Russia.

I would like to improve my knowledge in pyrotechnics

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm a long time pyro fan. I was a licensed display operator when I lived in Missouri but decided to move to Pennsylvania for a change last year. I haven't really done anything since moving here and miss pyro so I figured I would dip my foot back in and see where it leads me.

Hi all,

Hope everyone had a safe and fun 4th shoot. I've been doing hobby pyro for the last 10 years or so, mostly smaller aerial shells (3-6"), but always look forward to learning new techniques, tips, and tricks.

I look forward to making new friends and learning from the vast wealth of information this forum has to offer.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am a writer from Poland and I am looking for an advice in creating a big fire illusion on the water. I hope will find some help here!