APC Forum

Introductions

Mumbles

Thanks guys, yes i just realized that i need to make a post or two, to become a valid member.

Mumbles, i hope your feeling a bit better and a full recovery soon comes for you, sorry to here about the accident.

Paul.

Thanks guys, yes i just realized that i need to make a post or two, to become a valid member.

Mumbles, i hope your feeling a bit better and a full recovery soon comes for you, sorry to here about the accident.

Paul.

it makes it that little bit more difficult and stops many of the automated spammers and such with out being a problem for most legitimate members

Hello, New to the forum here, was a lurker for many years in the old red and yellow themed APC site.

I'm eager to contribute when I can and look forward to reading threads,

Sincerely.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all :) Bit of a newbie to this hobby but i love it! Started making my own little sugar rockets a few weeks ago and these little babies are quick, once i get these perfected then its time to move on to black powder.

Hope to make a few friends around these forums to get a few ideas and assistance with this wonderful hobby. ;)

Hi all :) Bit of a newbie to this hobby but i love it! Started making my own little sugar rockets a few weeks ago and these little babies are quick, once i get these perfected then its time to move on to black powder.

Hope to make a few friends around these forums to get a few ideas and assistance with this wonderful hobby. ;)

Welcome 506!

And welcome to the dark-side, we have cookies! I am sorry but I do have to laugh a little at your statement, " once i get these perfected". Back is 2006, the HP rocket club I was a member of was casting dozens of sugar rockets for our rocket because APCP motors were for all intents, outlawed and we spent months and months trying to dial in all of the intricacies of sugar fuel. :lol:

My personal suggestion? Look for the thread about nozzleless BP motors, you will be amazed at what you can do with them!

Hi, been lurking here a little bit and decided to finally post. Not new to the realm of pyrotechnics (actually been playing around with it since age 11) but went into making my own fireworks rather late.

The main enjoyment is in the colorfull and bright field rather than in creating the loudest salute, although I am not above enjoying a nice mascleta or a few lampare.

Projects currently underway:

- glitter tailed blue and red stars

- nozzleless delivery system

Edited by boule

Hi

I have the potential to purchase a large volume of gamma- iron oxide, and was wondering if there would be much of a market here for it? This is pure material of a particle size that can be chosen.

Is there much interest in gamma iron oxide for pyrotechnics?

Thanks,

Hi

I have the potential to purchase a large volume of gamma- iron oxide, and was wondering if there would be much of a market here for it? This is pure material of a particle size that can be chosen.

Thanks,

Spam, not a good move my friend.

Hi

Thanks,

Theres a section in the miscellaneous section of the forum called The Agora. Thats a good place to post any inquiries about selling product or helping fellow pyros find stuff. Just remember to send a PM to one of the admins so they can approve your post. I don't know much about the gamma phase of Fe203, mumbles is the guy to answer that. We pyros do have a use Fe203 and Fe304. So if you can undercut most sellers out there and make a post in The Agora then you may have some luck.

Edited by Skycastlefish

He had zero posts so he couldn't post in the Agora. I'll give him a few days and I'll delete this. It's up to him to take care of the rest.

Hi all!

i'm Alex and i'm an amateur that make experiments (nothing good) by years!

hope to have fun and lear much with you!

Hi all!

welcome to the forum

Hi all!

Welcome, enjoy your stay

• 1 month later...
Said I could only post reply. So anyway I have been interested in rocketry and pyro for some years, but just now finding time and money (both) to invest. My childeren love to watch me launch rockets so I would like to try my hand at at fountain or two for now Edited by ctaylor13

Hi ,

This is bunny , I need some information of HDPE wire that is used by the people in thamilnadu .Can some one of u can reply with the Question my email id:haaribabu57@gmail.com

I'm Chris.. I've already talked to a few of you pyros on the chat and in private messages.

Just found the intro thread, so hi and stuff, lol.

Great source of information here, and friendly helpful people!

27 years of age.

Male.

Living in New Zealand.

Freshly addicted.

Ctaylor13, Bunny and ChrisNZ, welcome to the forum!

Bunny, I'm not aware of the particular HDPE wire you speak of, so I cannot help you. Good luck.

Ctaylor13, a nice fountain composition that I'm particularly fond of is Winokur Glitter C

55% Potassium nitrate

10% Sulfur

10% Charcoal

10% Atomised Aluminium

5% Barium nitrate

5% Barium carbonate

5% Red Iron oxide

And ChrisNZ, it's of course not the first time we've talked, but once again, great to have another Kiwi on here!

Kevin here, from Vermont in the US. I've been involved in high-power rocketry for a number of years, and have gradually found myself drawn to pyro.

It all started when one of my rocket buddies asked if I wanted to go on a commercial shoot. I agreed, filled out some paperwork, and found myself loading mortars in -20F temps on NYE. It's gotten better, or worse, from there. I'm currently licensed as a Display Assistant, and work on 8-10 shows a year. The shows tend to be small productions ($15K or less) that can be set up and taken down by a single crew in a single day. Since many of our shows are still hand-lit we don't usually work with anything bigger than 6", though the company is (rumored) to be picking up some 8" & 10" shells for next season.

I'm very fortunate to live in a remote location, with neighbors quite a distance away. I've shot a couple of 1.4G shows in my front yard - roughly 400 shells last year, about 60% Excals. In recent months I've begun making my own gerbs and star mines, with great success. Real simple stuff, for now, but great for filling out my home shows. I'm planning for 600 aerial shells and ~100 gerbs and mines for next year - 9 July 2011 - I'm working the weekend of the 4th :)

I've made hundreds of ematches, as well as a bunch of quickmatch. I do not possess a LEMP, but as all my devices are for personal use and will not be transported, a permit is not required. I do have a Type 4 magazine in my garage, and all the local AHJs are in the loop and have approved my activities (where necessary).

My projects for this winter are a press and a 24 cue CD firing system. I *really* don't like ramming gerbs, so a press is essential. The firing system is being developed out of flash units from disposable cameras. So far they've worked fine for what I need - I'm able to pop 8 ematches at the end of 200' of cable. I haven't tried any more or any further.

My main interests are ground pieces, though I expect to make some aerials in the future. I doubt I'll be making anything above 3", since I don't have cleared space for proper setbacks for anything larger. I have no interest in flash, or rather - I am exposed to enough in the course of shooting the commercial shows that it's "nothing special", plus it's not worth the hassle or extra precautions required for storage or manufacture.

I've learned a bunch from the forums already. Looking forward to learning a lot more.

Kevin

Welcome Kevin. There are a few HP rocket guys here, but not many. Sounds like you may be able to bring an interesting perspective to the conversation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I've been lurking on this site for a while now. I enjoy watching the videos, so needed to sign up to see more. So far all I've made are some BP effects. My kids mostly laugh at them, but we have fun.

I'm waiting for the tech. course to be offered withing a couple hundred miles of my home and will sign up to get my license. After that I will need to do an apprentice to get my display supervisor tickets, and the endorsements. I've got a friend who has a friend that does commercial displays, so getting the experience should be fairly easy. Can't wait for that to happen.

I need to order up some more supplies and hopefully by spring will be able to do a small 1.3 show for my family.

I've been lurking on this site for a while now. I enjoy watching the videos, so needed to sign up to see more.

They lured me in like that too.. Welcome aboard!

Hey guys! I'm jon from hawaii. I started off making small bp rockets and brought myself up to 1lb'ers now. Now im starting to dabble in shell making which im having a lot of fun at, just working out the kinks and trying to get everything to work lol. Glad to have a source like this around, good info and good people.