APC Forum

Introductions

Mumbles

Nice! I think they are called SCUDS though when you use then to shell the other bank of the river :P I have built a few of those by ramming BP into a 1/2" tube and hand drilling a nozzle. I love the slow burn.

http://shortwave5.sm...87_X7ZNqQV-A-LB

These were test rockets, each performed better then the last with the final one staying straight up (a little wind vaneing). The nozzles were progressively smaller then the one before. These can lift 5g of payload and are only 2" long.

-dag

These were test rockets, each performed better then the last with the final one staying straight up (a little wind vaneing). The nozzles were progressively smaller then the one before. These can lift 5g of payload and are only 2" long.

-dag

I did not notice they were only 2", great burn time. What was your final nozzle size? I think you noted "class" size on the video, not sure what that means. Oh and sorry to hijack the introductions page :blush:

Class size is 13/128". There is a wire drill that is that size but the nozzle is .001 larger of hand drilled. There us 4% mineral oil mixed in with the BP to control the burn rate, keep the dust down and help with consolidation of the grain.

-dag

Hey everyone, im just a regular old pyromaniac who wants share his creations with a forum, glad I found a smaller one.

Welcome to the forums, Darkstar. Pull up a chair and read, read, read. It's all free. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Prometheus

This is one great site. There is a wealth of information here.

BJV

• 2 weeks later...
hello everyone, been here for awhile now but this the first time posting to say thanks for all the info you've shared here, it has helped me a lot.

Welcome YT, I am going to tell you like they told me.... read read and re-read. I did and am having a blast! (excuse the pun!) Take videos/pics of everything, dont be shy in sharing (look at my pics, they are horrible :blush: !) and enjoy! Edited by guntoteninfadel

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

I've been a practicing pyro for over 10 years now (i'm almost 23 now). Been a pyro in soul for longer than that, though ;) .

Despite having access to much of the chemicals I needed to do real pyro, I never really progressed beyond making stars, fountains, and small aerial shells in small quantities. Made a lot of rockets though (of the pyro variety). Only now am I redeveloping an interest in actual pyro (rather than the related field of propulsion...) .

My other love was high power rocketry, and after only 3 flights (with a G, F, and then another G motor) I decided that instead I would like to follow the experimental rocketry pathway instead, and subsequently built KN/DX and KN/SO sugar motors, then developed an AP-Silicone propellant family, and then a AP-Polyetherpolyurethane family. I did this when I was14 and 18 years old.

I live in New Zealand and currently work in the pyro industry, but before this I was a propellant developer (also professional) for a small aerospace company.

My areas of expertise are APCP and general solid propellants, some liquid propellants, organic chemistry, and high explosives, particularly of the exotic high-nitrogen types like tetrazoles. Guess i'llhave to wait till i'm HE qualified before I talk about those, though :).

See you round :)

Edited by aeon

Hey there,

I'd like to say hello.

I'm doing pyro for about 2 years, tried almost everything a little bit but never went very deep.

I allready read a lot here, great information :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, my name is Menno.

I'm from the Netherlands, EU

The reason I joined this forum is because there aren't many pyro's in the Netherlands. There is one pyro forum, but it doesn't have many members, and the members really aren't nice people.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings.

I've been lurking on the forum for a few months now reading and accessing what I can. I've been shooting fireworks for years and have just started creating some of my own. I have also recently joined the local NLP club and hope to meet some of you this coming weekend. Thanks for all the useful information that has been provided on this site.

Ken

Welcome aboard Menno and Ken

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/cartoons/welcomeani.gif

I'm not really good at this, and I have alreday made a few posts, but:

Hi! Amateur pyrotechnician from northern Europe here. I'm also a member on the UKPS forum and some (very small and not very active) forums in my own country, but this place seems to be the best this far.

I've been shooting fireworks since before kindergarten, literally, but I haven't made any of my own (i.e. real firework pieces, not firecrackers etc.) until about the last three years or so. Still very unexperienced when I look at the works of the most experienced guys here, but I hope that I can compete with the best of you some day.

Hello fellow pyros.

I go by the handle chuck45, and I'm based in Australia. I've always loved pyro and high explosives, as well as firearms. I have spent alot of money and time on my hobbies, and my family are very accepting, especially my lovely and beautful girlfriend.

At the moment I am working on some nice blue, green and red stars to compliment my D1, tigertail and flashing stars. I usually test fire a few times from a small star gun, before using in a mine. Shells are next on the agenda when I have sourced suitable fuse.

I also like a good ground salute, and I have bought and used a nice bottle rocket tooling kit, I load them with meal and a little aluminium for tail effect. I also consider black powder making to be a hobby and skill in and of itself and get great satisfaction in making good powder.

When I'm not doing pyro I can be found spending time with family, jogging, studying and using firearms, reading up on military history, and studying at university.

It's great to be here, and I hope I can help out any newcomers who are responsible and respectful. I would also love to network with fellow Australians.

Keep your powder dry,

Chuck45.

Hello.

I'm from Canada and I've recently became interested in pyrotechnics.

• 1 month later...

Hello, everyone. My name is Randy and I live in Phoenix, Arizona. I truly love the art, science and chemistry of fireworks and energetic materials.. Profoundly so. I am an avid lifelong student and am stern and unyielding on both safety and the law. I disdain the so called "basement bombers" and their ilk, even more so anyone who would use any pyrotechnic or energetic material to harm another, man or beast. I tend to be rather shy and I ask for your indulgence in this matter. As I get to know my fellow forumites better, I'll open up more.

I double majored in computer and electronics engineering. I've served in the military. My interests are both many and varied. My father once told me to just pick one thing and focus on it, but I simply cant. I want to learn as much about everything as I can. I've spent a small fortune on books and materials to further my education in various fields. I love the outdoors, rpg's, wargames, tabletop gaming, reading, hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, archery, forging - I could go on and on. I hope that gives you a little insight into who I am and what drives me. But enough about me, I can't wait to get stuck in! I'm also getting back into amateur rocketry. I'm planning on pursuing certifications for high power rocketry. I'd like to see how my mcu designs and soldering holds up to multiple g's.

Thank you to those who kindly offered their friendship and I look forward to many exciting discussions ahead. Thank you also for having me!