APC Forum

Introductions

Mumbles

Hi, my name is Mike -

I'm a writer. I joined the forum primarily to ask technical questions about pyrotechnics as they might relate to the stories I'm writing. So glad this forum exists!

:)

• 3 weeks later...
No funny introduction of myself, just my first post here. I am from Kansas and a complete beginner to making fireworks. I have been studying for a couple of months and experimenting with making BP and sugar comp for rockets. I just had success in launching several stick rockets, I was very excited to see them go up. What an awesome sight. For some reason I cannot start a topic so when I can I will post some vids and more explanation of what I did with the stick rockets. In the meantime, I enjoy reading posts here and look forward to being able to entertain my family and friends with a few nice fireworks. Independence Day has always been my favorite holiday and I love fireworks. Now I am addicted to this hobby and think about it a lot. I like to figure out how to make this stuff and my journal with notes is growing everyday. So a big HI to everyone and thanks for a great place to hang out and gather information.

You will be able to start a topic now. One of the spam checks here forces a new member to reply to a thread before making new ones.

Hello!

I'm a long time reader but I took a very long hiatus for some life experience and other errata but I'm back in the hobby now for a bit... mostly to show some good friends and my love a great fourth :)

I have a question that I can't seem to post... I love H3, it's wonderful! But what is a good ratio of barium chlorate to cvharcoal for it?

Copyme, you can start a new thread now. You have to reply to an existing one first. It's one of the tactics the admin use to keep spammers at bay. I'm not too sure about barium chlorate. The standard H3 formula is 70:30 KCLO3:charcoal. This isn't really the right place for us to discuss this though. If you start a new thread I'm fairly certain that someone can help you work out the best ratio for your composition. I don't know if it would still be considered H3 though (green H3)? Be careful from what i understand barium is some pretty nasty stuff. At any rate welcome to the forum.

and Barium compounds are poisonous too.

Hey, Y'all. Hope this finds you all in excelent health.

I'm Steve, and I live in the flame free (by law) state of Ohio.

I'd like to meet, and/or hear from other pyro fans, here in OH, to discuss things like how to, and WHERE to...

welcome to the forum mate...!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Y'all, I'm very new to the hobby. Several months ago going through old gardening / outdoor stuff I found leftover stump remover and decided to make a smoke bomb like we did when we were kids, from there my curiosity got the better of me and I found Skylighter which pointed me down the Pyro Path. With all the miss / bad / half information out there this site seems like a bastion of relative sanity. Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge and experience so we beginners can keep all of our original parts. I'm in the greater Austin area where we are under a perpetual burn ban and I'd like to find some other folks in the area with shared interests.

welcome aboard to the forum :)

Hey Carusomv. You are in great luck! September 22 I believe there will be an event in Georgetown that I will attend. They will have shell building classes and quite a bit of great information for you to learn. I am from Dallas and attend Texas Tech during the school year. I know it is a stretch, but I would love to find a way to meet up with you and help you learn the hobby.

welcome to the forum mjkonopka...!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. My name is David and I'm a Pyro(technic)maniac.

I grew up basically across the Missouri River from South Dakota and spent many July 4ths with my family shooting everything from novelties to fountains (or gerbs as I've come to learn) to rockets. That's been some 30 years ago now. Finally got fed up this year with being herded like cattle to our local July 4th celebration professional show and got some gerbs and novelties (stuck in a "safe and sane" state so no shells or rockets :() to fire off in our backyard. Boy did I really miss that stuff. My son inquired about setting up some kind of electronic ignition system for next year which led me to electric matches (familiar to me as I've also dabbled in LPR) which in turn led me to Skylighter and eventually here.

Looking forward to drinking in the expansive knowledge available here and maybe, someday, being able to pass on some knowledge of my own.

Hi my name is Mike,

And I have a Pyro problem.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. :-)

Hi David....!!

welcome to the forum....!!

Hello, my name is Kevin.

I have recently decided to look into making my own pyrotechnics. I have always been into chemistry and I am very excited to get started.

Hi all! Great info here, thanks to the site admins for all the work keeping the site maintained. I'm coming in here from an amateur rocketery background, so I've got a bit of head start.

FBH

welcome to the forum ....!!

stay safe......

• 1 month later...
Hi, I'm Jon, aged 68 almost. Got into rockets at age 15, in 1960. By luck or God's will, I survived the early 1960s intact, having learned quite a bit and having dodged the consequences of some serious incidents. Got back into the activity just recently. Now with the advantage of the internet and this forum. Thanks!