APC Forum

Introductions

Mumbles

Hi. I'm Austin, and I live in Wisconsin.

My interest in messing with pyro stuff started a few years ago with watching Youtube vids of sparkler bombs and things like that.

This past 4th of July, I dissected and mixed a number of fountains, firecrackers, sparklers, etc. and made some of my own little fountain experiments, which I found to be quite fun.

I came on here hoping to learn a little more detail about what chemicals are actually used and how it all works, and hopefully learn more ways to to make different things SAFELY.

Sin,

I am so glad you wrote SAFELY at the end of that sentence. PM me, I have some reading for you.

Welcome to APC, now stop making sparkler bombs!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, long time lurker, still pretty new to the hobby. I'm from the GTA.

Currently into metalworking, haven't been into pyro for a few years, but somehow I ended up getting drawn back in. This time with a couple of organic chemistry courses behind me and lots of theory that I haven't really put into practice. I'm here to learn. This seems to be a good place.

Welcome Das,

You can make a bunch of fast friends here if you were willing to start making some simple pyro tooling for a good price.

Hi Dagabu, thanks for the welcome. That might be an idea depending on what people need. I'm getting back into rocketry, so I'm already heading in that direction.

• 2 weeks later...

HI All

my name is Ken,

nice to see a forum with these interests.. I work in the motion picture industry , been doing pyro for over 30 years

cheers

Ken

Edited by fxdude

HI All

my name is Ken,

nice to see a forum with these interests.. I work in the motion picture industry , been doing pyro for over 30 years

cheers

Ken

Good to have you here. Have you worked on any shows or films we may have heard of?

Good to have you here. Have you worked on any shows or films we may have heard of?

thanks guys for movies

you can imdb.com my name Ken Tarallo

cheers

Edited by fxdude

Very cool, you have quite the resume. I look forward to seeing what perspective your fx experience has given you regarding the topics brought up here.
  • Like 1

HI All

my name is Ken,

cheers

Ken

Ken,

Are you going to PGI next year? They are talking about doing a WWll bombing run using creamer pots and the like as the planes from the air show do a fly over. Sure could use a pro to advise.

Ken,

Are you going to PGI next year? They are talking about doing a WWll bombing run using creamer pots and the like as the planes from the air show do a fly over. Sure could use a pro to advise.

Creamers Hmmmm, white powder flying through the air.. sounds like the 80ies on a movie set.... 2blink.gif I use nap or gas for airshows, we dont use fine powder anymore for the wind dangers.., I use walnut dust for smoke on the ground but not in the air... creamer, flower etc. we dont like.. salt and pepper nap is my choice.. gas for when we like to make the pilots seats warm hehehe... plus nap gives that black lining that make that orange fireball all the more spectacular...2smile.gif there is always a little cord wrapped around a plastic sparkletts bottle that really wakes the flyboys.... we did that on Hamburger hill f4 pilots cried like babies...

Very cool, you have quite the resume. I look forward to seeing what perspective your fx experience has given you regarding the topics brought up here.

I am sure you guys know more about chemicals then I , I just blow up stuff, but I do make my own squibs and smoke cookies, but glad to help if I can..

Creamers Hmmmm, white powder flying through the air.. sounds like the 80ies on a movie set.... 2blink.gif I use nap or gas for airshows, we dont use fine powder anymore for the wind dangers.., I use walnut dust for smoke on the ground but not in the air... creamer, flower etc. we dont like.. salt and pepper nap is my choice.. gas for when we like to make the pilots seats warm hehehe... plus nap gives that black lining that make that orange fireball all the more spectacular...2smile.gif there is always a little cord wrapped around a plastic sparkletts bottle that really wakes the flyboys.... we did that on Hamburger hill f4 pilots cried like babies...

All the better!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, My name is Justin and I'm from USA, Michigan.

I'm 19, and recently have been getting into pyro. I have been experimenting with small batches of copper thermite, tying to stick to a 4:1 ratio of Al + CuO (Yes, black copper oxide). Recently have been getting more into it, such as buying tubes and spheres from cannonfuse.com. My knowlage in pyro is low, so I thought it would be helpful to join a forum of people with the same interest, so get a better feel for what I'm getting my self into. I do not own a scale that can help me at all...The only one I own can do 1g, which is useless. So i bought one from cannonfuse that can go up by 0.1 grams ^_^

Something to know about me. I'm a highvoltage junkie. I wouldnt be surprised if im one of the few most advanced at this forums. I own 4 tesla coils, a 24" SGTC and 3 SSTC. I'm currently working on a 24" DRSSTC. Largest sparks to record for me is 4 foot, on my SGTC. My coils can play audio, along with constant wave and pulse modes. I own a 12KV 60mA neon transformer, Dual stack of microwave transformers, Quack stack of microwave transformers, 32 450V 2400uF capacitors. I have a 1KJ and a 4KJ and soon a 12KJ bank of capacitors. I own many metal working tools to get my projects done.

I own these lasers:

1W 445nm WL arctic

1.25W 445nm DIY build

200mw 532nm RayFoss

200mw ~650nm RayFoss

300mw 405nm DIY build

45mw 405nm Ebay laser

5x 5mw 532nm

2x 5mw 650nm

Images of projects can be found on my extreamly-outdated website: http://www.killa-x.uuuq.com

My youtube account can be found at: http://www.youtube.com/user/PhxSt0rmz

Edited by KillaX

That is impressive. Welcome.

O/T: I had to laugh when I scrolled through your website and saw that reference: The idiot who labeled the video "Railgun" isn't very smart.

Hi,

I'm Bonkers and I'm from Belgium and 20 years old. I am also on a dutch forum called pyroforum.nl.

I have been practicing pyro for many years now (started as a bit of a kewl since I was 10 with spud guns and steam cannons) but I have learnt my lessons and now I place safety first.

My interests lay within making 2 to 4" round shells and rockets. Also interested in HE, buy mainly the theory behind it.

I've started making shells up to 4" 2 years ago, and I have experienced a lot so my shells keep improving.

I'm working on a little show right now with 4".

attachment: my 16,5 liter ball mill, capable of milling over 3 kg of meal, but I only do batches of 500 grams, witch reduces the time to 2 hours for very fine meal.

click

I'm a litte afraid posting lots of video's of shells due to recent arrests based on video's on youtube.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all! I'm Chad, my screen name is "Toster" - like Toaster hints the old after dark flying toasters! It's an old nickname. I am in to information Technology as well, so another great reason for the after dark flying toasters! I am hear to learn and build some smaller (under 6") shells as well as some cool ground stuff.

Hi guys.

Joined because I like things that go BOOM. Guns and explosives work for me. Shooting them is even better! Live in the country and have lots of land to do this with. Getting bored in my old age and thought I'd try something new ... mixing my own.

Hoping to get a better idea from you knowledgable guys on the forum about making a cheaper form of Tannerite. Maybe even places locally that sell the chemicals needed to make these things without getting an explosives license. Am already an 07/02 firearms manufacturer so an explosives license is a possiblity. Giving firearms demonstrations with exploding targets sure impresses folks.

One thing I would like to experiment with is exploding targets with different colored smoke and more sensitive formulas for pistol and 22.

Hi guys.

Joined because I like things that go BOOM. Guns and explosives work for me. Shooting them is even better! Live in the country and have lots of land to do this with. Getting bored in my old age and thought I'd try something new ... mixing my own.

Hoping to get a better idea from you knowledgable guys on the forum about making a cheaper form of Tannerite. Maybe even places locally that sell the chemicals needed to make these things without getting an explosives license. Am already an 07/02 firearms manufacturer so an explosives license is a possiblity. Giving firearms demonstrations with exploding targets sure impresses folks.

One thing I would like to experiment with is exploding targets with different colored smoke and more sensitive formulas for pistol and 22.

I think you may have the wrong idea about this forum. The purpose here is to discuss safe and artful use of pyrotechnics. Though explosives such as tannerite may be fun to use and a subscript of the conversation here, we are certainly not going to give instruction or encourage a new member to pursue such things. If your primary interest is in brute explosives I suggest you go elsewhere. If you would like to learn about fireworks, and are willing to start with the basics and observe safe practices you will get along fine here.