APC Forum

Introductions

Mumbles

Howdy, Kyle. Welcome to the Forums!

Take the time to read all you can, it's worth the investment.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Tony, I'm 47 and everyone calls me Cookieman among other things.I live in Ontario,Canada.I have my own bakery business which helps me buy all the chems. I have loved pyrotechnics since I was 10 years old. The large aerial shells have always been my favourite. I am a member of The Canadian Fireworks Association and hoping to get my shooters licence in the near future. Some of my talents are, Certified Pastry and cooking chef,1st degree Blackbelt in Shotokan Karate, F2000 Racing licence, Automotive mechanics certificate, Computer hardware and software technician, Electric guitar. I think this is a great forum and looking forward to learning as much as I can from you guys!!!

Welcome to the forums!

A fellow old fart, I see. :whistle:

Glad you joined us, and hope to see some of your work!

hi,my name is jim and I've been into blackpowder for about 14yrs but only recently started getting into pyrotechnics.I love muzzle loading firearms which is how I got into blackpowder I only recently got the internet so I didn't know you could buy all the accessories, so now I'm keen to lift some shells and have heaps of fun.I'm from Queensland,Australia and have limited supplies compared to most,though I have enough to have fun with,cheers everyone

Been awhile since I have been on the good old APC forums so I'll make a quick intro :)

My name is Jimmy

Ive been into fireworks for about 15 Years, I came over from back when EP and the old pyro site was still up. Ive been inactive due to raising my boys and money restraints. I find almost all pyrotechnics fun with the exception of ground salutes, I have grown out of that stage of my life and am concentrating on pure pyro. Ive sustained many injuries from our glorious hobby but have learned alot in regards to pyrotechnics and I do preach alot about safety don't take it offensively it is just good to have a friendly reminder. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Heyas, I'm Bearark (Also known as Candice in that real world thing you may have heard of). Uh I suck with introductions but I'll try my best with this.

I'm 27, live in Colorado, other than fireworks I like movies (Zombie Movies are teh bestest), Anime, Firearms and uh, ninjas I guess. I've loved fireworks ever since I was a little kid and have always gone broke any time I walk into a decent fireworks store (I'm not even allowed to bring my debit card fireworks shopping anymore).

I'm pretty new to the whole building my own fireworks thing but am super excited to learn. I've been spending alot of time lately just reading up on the tools/techniques/chemicals before I actually go and invest in chemicals and tooling. But I'm hoping to at least have a good amount of stuff made up for the 4th of July this year !

So far all I've made is things like smoke bombs and sugar/KNO3 rockets. But I'm really interested in making cooler things like shells and mines.

So yep, that's about it. I apologize if this seems incoherent, its 4 in the morning and yea, I'm a bit fluff headed right now

Edited by Bearark

Let me be the first to shake your hand, Bearark. It's a lot more fun building your own fireworks than just lighting Chinese fuses, although it can get nearly as expensive!

Thanks for the welcome =) Tell me about expensive ! Just so far on a preliminary list of chemicals/tooling/fuse I think I've already broken the 500$ mark.

I'm sure there will be plenty of things I'll add to the list in the next few days. My plan so far (and please let me know if this is unwise) is to order tons of stuff up front even chemicals and tooling I wont need until future projects at once and just safely store most of it away while I start on small things and work my way up.

Go for it, if you can afford it. You'll probably find you settle on one size of tube for most things. If you're planning on shooting things, you should probably have a can of Goex 2FG on your list. That way your shells lift first time. It takes a few tries to get home made black powder right.

Hey,

I'm Steven from the USA. I'm just starting pyro and plan on making some bp with a ball mill soon. It will most likely be sulfurless, but hopefully it will be good enough for lift and burst.

You'll need the sulfur, trust us. That's one of the easier chems to obtain, though.

And welcome to the Forums!

Hey Guys,

Dave from Texas here. The Wavy comes from my love of surfing which is only surpassed by my love of Fireworks. I'm kind of like Bearark, can't get enough on the 4th and New Years, which here in Tx is the only time you can buy locally. I have to blame Nighthawkinlight for sparking my interest in building my own fireworks; Thanks Man, Love your Videos, and so far have made some waterfalls and cremoras. I'm looking to move up to rockets and mortars but I'm a little confused by all the laws and subsections. Most say that you can shoot for your own personal amusement 1.4G fireworks, but what if I build a 4" shell? That's over 500g. I know I'm a ways off from that large of construction, but like they say, "Better safe than sorry and locked up".

..I'm a little confused by all the laws and subsections. Most say that you can shoot for your own personal amusement 1.4G fireworks, but what if I build a 4" shell? That's over 500g.

It's quite confusing. There are Federal laws and there are State laws. I'm not a lawyer, but my reading of the Federal ATF regs is that you can make large fireworks without a license but you may not store them, even overnight, nor take them a step off your own land. State laws may make it illegal to possess what you make. Isn't Texas the state where it's technically illegal to own a coffee maker, because it contains a pyrex flask, a filter funnel and a heater - prohibited items that can be used to make meth?

Hello,

My name is Dominykas (Dominic) from Lithuania.

I am in the pyro world for 2.5 years. From the beginning this forum has been very helpful to me. Right now I'm finishing my exams and going to study chemistry, looking forward in having a job related to pyrotechnics.

I loved fireworks from my childhood, even those small rockets brought so much fun for me. All my paintings with pencils when I was 3-5 years old were 75% firework Ideas, when I was two,I saw my first pyro show - I was so astonished that I froze with my mouth open for 20min :D my mum even begun to worry :lol:

PyroMan ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

My name is Brian and I work with Mark! I'm not much of a pyro besides buying some mortars and stuff for 4th of July. Not sure if playing with leather cleaner and fire makes me much of a pyro. I do live in Pennsylvania where most of the stuff is banned <_<, though.

Hello

Call me Alex, I'm new on the forums. I come from EU and I've been fascinated by fireworks ever since my youth. I loved to buy pyrotechnics until I figured it's more fun to make my own. I first started by modifying existing products and later began designing fireworks on my own from bare chemicals and paper. I'm kind of experienced with handling chemicals, and I've been making small fireworks for years now. Not to say I've recently taken a break from it, but I'm looking forward to start again. High explosives don't really interest me, but I'm a sucker for small model rockets. This looks like a nice forum and I thought I'd drop by.

~Anac

Edited by Anacron

Hello

Call me Alex, I'm new on the forums. I come from EU and I've been fascinated by fireworks ever since my youth. I loved to buy pyrotechnics until I figured it's more fun to make my own. I first started by modifying existing products and later began designing fireworks on my own from bare chemicals and paper. I'm kind of experienced with handling chemicals, and I've been making small fireworks for years now. Not to say I've recently taken a break from it, but I'm looking forward to start again. High explosives don't really interest me, but I'm a sucker for small model rockets. This looks like a nice forum and I thought I'd drop by.

~Anac

Welcome Alex!

Rockets? Welcome to the Dark Side... We have cookies!

What size are you making?

Mostly the smaller ones, but I have plans for larger rockets too. Sometimes I use purchased rocket engines, attach a small shell ontop plus a stick to the side and call it a rocket, but I have been making my own engines too. They were mostly end-burner candy propellant 4cm in outer diameter and their range was quite impressive (they didn't carry any load tho). Core burners were good too though at first I had some problems creating proper nozzles, as a lot of them would CATO in mid-flight. I'm still looking for a decent nozzle mix. I've been using only bentonite clay so far.

Mostly the smaller ones, but I have plans for larger rockets too. Sometimes I use purchased rocket engines, attach a small shell ontop plus a stick to the side and call it a rocket, but I have been making my own engines too. They were mostly end-burner candy propellant 4cm in outer diameter and their range was quite impressive (they didn't carry any load tho). Core burners were good too though at first I had some problems creating proper nozzles, as a lot of them would CATO in mid-flight. I'm still looking for a decent nozzle mix. I've been using only bentonite clay so far.

Well Alex, you have come to the right place. Just post these questions in the rocketry area and see what you get.