APC Forum

Random Thread #1

Rooster

I dont think 5/8 mild steel rod could handle 85kg of weight on top of it! I'm trying to think away around using so much lead! And I want to be able to grind BP.

Some people say brass doesn't spark and some say it does. I think its safe. I mean they use it for bullet shells which rub against metal so it must be spark proof!

AAAAAAHHH, that New house smell. Well I havent been on for like 2 weeks because our idiotic ISP shut us down because they couldn't run another line or some crap. so the repair man told em to turn it on then just ran another line so we have 2 lines for the price of one.... we only had to pay for the wire and hookup :ph34r: :D . Gotta love old geezers who don't play by the rules. the GOOD news is that while unpacking my dads boxes of books i found several chemistry and physics books, also like 8 boxes filled with the complete encyclopedia. Has anyone heard of something called the Chemistry & physics encyclopedia, or something to that effect? I just got a glimpse of em while loading them into our trailer, hoping to get those ones in me bedroom. :)

*edit* WOOT!!!! 3 whole posts!!! I'm never going to catch mumbles at this rate.

I've been meaning to ask this for some time now.

What is peoples experience using Hex-brass rod as milling media for BP.

Is it sparky?

Thanks

PGF, I've had excellent results using sawed up brass hex bar stock. I use 3/4 inch ( 19 mm ) hex, cut into 19mm long chunks. After switching to that, I have not used my lead since. What used to take 4 hours with lead takes 2 hours with the hex brass. I have an unproven theory that the hex shape creates many more contact points and more grinding action in the mill.

Brass is non sparking, and doesn't add that lead contamination ( not that I worry about that level of lead anyway, don't get me started on that ).

Do you round the ends at all? Where do you get brass hex from? Since it contains copper I think it would be quite expensive.

I didn't round my ends off, too much like work. After about milling about 20 batches, the ends have smoothed off considerably though. I got mine from Online Metals.

Here is what I use: .75 inch Brass Hex Rod

Handbook of chemistry and physics?

It’s perhaps my bible. All those tables……. Mmmmm. I got 76th edition.

You’re a lucky boy they retail for well over 200$ aus dollars.

This new board is so amazingm were at page ten on a thread and I dont believe it shall be locked anytime soon!!! YAY!!!

(200! Dang thats alot for a book!)

He he ho ho Laserquest is fun and Im hyper from alot of cokes...

Any ideas on how to make some simple devices? From just homemade stuff?

I have some Kno3 and Sulfur on hand, anything I can make with just one or 2 things more?

K, heres da scoop.

Dyke's Automobile, AND gasoline engine Encyclopedia: 16'th edition. Copyright, 1932.

Fortunes In Formulas: Copyright, 1939

Teachers Edition, Modern Physics:Copyright 1964.

MODERN CHEMISTRY:copyright 1970

WEBSTER'S new twentieth century DiCTIONARY of the english language:Copyrigyht 1950

HOW it works, Science supplement: years 1996 through 2001.

illustrated World War II Encyclopedia Vol 1:Copyright 1978

the New illustrated Science and invention encyclopedias Volumes 1-28 copyright of Vol 28 1993.

Science and invention encyclopedia was the one I was refering to in the last post.

AAAAH, I'm sittin on a gold mine, gotta love me dad :D

This is fuckin sweet....

I got my results back from my ASVAB test, and I didn't meet my goal of >80 on the over all :( But! I did score an 83 in electronics and a 72 in mechanical, which means I can get pretty much any job in those areas. The reason I didn't score to good over all is because my Administrative and General scores weren't to high, that's fine though cuz all those jobs suck. Plus I wanna to electric anyways, so it actually worked out good.

The two main jobs I'm looking at really really make me excited. The second one of choice is Missile and Space systems Facilities, I'll be servicing missile weapon systems and and work with a wide variety of missiles. The first one of choice is Missile and Space systems Electronic maintenance, this one sounds really cool because I get to test missiles, work on them, disassemble and reassemble all types of them along with general troubleshooting.

The cool thing about both of these jobs is the training for them involves moving do different bases within the US, and that once I get out of the air force companies like Lockheed and what not are going to want me because I've been working with there products and I'll know whats going on. That aspect of it really makes me want it. I've always marveled at those company's and the things they produce and I always wanted a chance to some how be involved in the production of something that amazing, I now have that chance.

So ya, I'm doing pretty good :D

What!!! :o You already got your ASVAB results?? But you just took it a couple weeks ago!!! I took that dang test like 3 months + ago and havn't got my results back!

That makes me mad....I'm kinda curious. Even though I have no interest in going into the army I just would like to know what I got...

Well, I'm pretty depressed right now. Yesterday morning I took the ACT Test.....and completely bombed it! The time limit thing killed me. I was doing good and knew most the stuff but then they'd be like "5 minutes left!" and I would have like 10 questions left so I just like guessed for atleast 5 questions at the end of every section. At the end of the english section (the first one and I wasn't prepared for how fast the time was going) I had to guess on the last 22!!!! Plus I didn't know you could bring a calculator so the math section took me forevor and I had a bunch left at the end of it as well.... I'm looking to get a 15 or so.... Next time......bring a calculator and work faster!

Oh and also I was looking forward to the science section, hoping to make up for my other sections with some chemistry knowledge... Well the whole thing was Biology which I havn't had since my freshman year. So I bombed that to....

You'll do better than 15. 12 is on average blind guessing. It probably won't turn out that bad. You should get in the 20's somehow. English and Reading were my trouble points. If it wasn't for those I would be going to University of Chicago on a full ride right now. Well, probably not actually, but it's wishful thinking.

It takes 48-72 hours for my recruiter to get the results, I got my unofficial average 40min after taking the test. I'm not sure why you haven't found out your scores yet...

Hopefully your right Mumbles.... I would like to get atleast over 20 just so I don't feel "to" dumb. It just frustrated me by how badly I did. Normally tests like the proficiency test and the Ohio Graduation Test I took last year (a test Ohio uses that you must pass in order to graduate) I do exceptionally well. On the Ohio Graduation Test I got the highest level on all the ares except for reading where I got above average which is the second best level. That time limit just killed me....I wasn't prepared for that at all! I knew the stuff just didn't have time to answer them.

Xin: That bugs me now.....did you take the ASVAB through your school or did you volunteer to take it? I had to take it, along with all the juniors in my school.

On a randamn note I'm getting really frustrated with my job. I live about 25 minutes outta town for the record. Well I'm in town every night after school but they never schedule me. Then on my weekends where I have to make a special trip to town they schedule me every day (Fri, Sat., and Sun.). It really sucks because when I get home from school I never feel like doing any pyro and then on the weekends I'm never home!! I havn't done anything in like 3 weeks due to this schedule.

Well pyrohawk, all I can say is......sucks for you! I have a year before I get hit with all that, thank god. I would like to take the ASVAB myself, just for the hell of it, or iff I go that route. One of my friends who now does the electronics for apachies got something like a 95 or 96 on it! He's some freaky old genious.

I tried the UN waterfall using al flitters and it went smoothly. I made 4 tubes with 100 grams o comp and tested one( it burns when it's damp) and it worked very well. No video but when I do a full fall, I'll get one. I think I want to substitute the flitters for Mg and Ti to see how that would turn out.

Got bored and made a bit of chloroform. Worked like a charm, but only 7 mL. Still fun B)

Anybody got any experience with cryogens such as liquid nitrogen?? I wanted to do a few experiments with it, mainly just for fun. But I have two problems......

Where can I get it? (The local welding place sells it but only in a $100US tank minimum) I only want like maybe a gallon or two.....

How can I store it? What do you store it in that won't explode from the high vapor pressure and can be stored for a long period of time? This preferably would be something common and not to expensive.... Would just a good thermous work?? I don't want it exploding in my face if I put the LN in it and try to move it.....

Info on uses and safe procedures would also be helpful....

You could scale the haloform reaction to garbage-can sizing, bad yeilds? Who gives, its cheap. And fun.

I think I shall make some iodiform, perhaps by simply adding some NaOH directly to a solution containing about 13% H2O, 80% isopropyl alch, and 7% iodine. Should work, no? Evaporate to retrieve iodiform, would be my plan. I don't know how soluable it will be with however much water and alch will be left in the mix.

Hey all, I am back from holiday and glad to be... On the flight home I was nabbed for a random explosive trace test... Hmmm, I had a look and a chat to the security guy who was running the computer and they have a big list of differnt explosives, all nitro XX and stuff like RDX, PETN / ETN, XXN03

AP was right at the top... :lol: Says something doesn't it?

Any ways I'm glad it was on the way home. I would probably register if it was on the way up as I did some testing the day before and went pig hunting ( they test for gunpowder too apparently)

Xin: That bugs me now.....did you take the ASVAB through your school or did you volunteer to take it? I had to take it, along with all the juniors in my school.

Oh well thats why...I went and took it on my own time. That dosent shock me that you dont know your score yet then.

Saw some new movies this weekend. The longest yard and anger management are extremely cool movies.

Hell yeah, anger management rulz!

Another good one, or two are Analyze this and Analyze that. With DeNiro and the other guy. :P

Comedies are cool. But action movies with lots of explosions and smoke are also quite entertaining.

Breaking the movie discussion :)

Just almost finished my fresh new nascar roller, It only took 2 dyas to build and about 1$ cost (only some nails).

http://hozt.net/video.php?vid=20060213220305952048.wmv

It's night in here now so you can't see the cores rolling inside

BTW, do you think 40 RPM for a 56 OD wheel is too fast? the cores jump inside but they don't jump out of the wheel.

So I think I'm going to be offering hand held film canister cannons again on the website. They'll be $25 each and include the Banaca (however you spell it) breath spray/fuel. They will be able to be shipped internationally, except international orders will not include the Banaca.

Anyone have opinions on this?

Here's a picture of one:

http://pyrotube.com/piezo.jpg

Fancy kilo, is the backthing the gas inlet?

It shouldn't be this freaking cold here! It was almost 30 when I woke up and I ride a bike to school. I couldn't feel my ears :ph34r:

Yes, Saw is a nice movie. I've been wanting to see the second one but haven't gotten around to it. Oh well, eventually I'll rent it.

I really hated SAW. I hate all horror movies though, and therefore rarely watch them. My last GF loved them, and when we were at the cinema, I didn't actually get spooked by the scenes themselves, but by her screaming. We are not together anymore. :ph34r:

Nah, just kidding. She was cool but lived far away when I went to uni.

Thing is, I think horror movies are either boring or fucking scary. And even when they are fucking scary, I do not have any "good" feelings about it. Call me a pussy. Action or comedy is a much better waste of time!