APC Forum

Random Thread #1

Rooster

I just wanna know what that black goop was he put on the stars while they were rolling. Perhaps some sort of star rolling technique not previously discussed?

I just wanna know what that black goop was he put on the stars while they were rolling. Perhaps some sort of star rolling technique not previously discussed?

The black stuff is called "Toro" IIRC. The Japanese use it instead of the more common spray bottle wetting technique.

It's made of rice starch binder and water + some other stuff maybe.

See how fast that guy pastes the shells! The amount of stars that guy is making!

....I can only dream....

If I order some paper shells and gummed tape from FireFox do I still need identification?

EDIT: Do you guys think we need a post about mesh? Where to get it, making sieves etc. ?

My dad bought a roll of 200mesh and he said I can use whatever I want of it :ph34r:

EDIT: Do you guys think we need a post about mesh? Where to get it, making sieves etc. ?

My dad bought a roll of 200mesh and he said I can use whatever I want of it :ph34r:

That might be helpful to many members! I recently made containers for the screens I bought. I can share the info there...

Here's a link:

hxxp://www.art-ichiyama-hanabi.com/movie/process/all.wmv

for the complete (30mb) file. I'm downloading this as I write. Looks way cool.

M

In the movie, at the 8 minute - Is the man pasting with some kind of sticky tape? If this is pasting It will be much faster then how we do it.

Hi

Recently i found a supplier that sells Anthimony trisulphide for £20 a Kg, Pcv powder for £17 and a Kg of 250 mesh magnallinium for £21. Is that a good price?

Moved to Random thread. A more appropriate place for it to reside.

Edited by Mumbles

It is probably gummed tape. You need to wet the sticky side. It is usually dry in 3-4 hours. It is indeed faster. They is how pretty much all oriental shells are made, though I a unsure how they paste the 1.91" class C shells.. There are two main problems with it. First of all, it doesn't provide as much of the shrinking effect on the shell to make it even tighter as wheat paste does. Secondly it is hard to find in widths and weighs low enough for most of the shells we are making. They probably have lower widths and weights specially manufactured for them.

As for those prices p_y_r_o, they are decent. It of course is all relative to your country and such. I'm assuming you're not from the US. If this is true, they are pretty good prices.

So, I'm sure some of you have made butyric acid before. I myself would like to tackle this stinky substance.

I have heard of two ways, one involving anarobic bacteria, and the other the saponafication(i know I spelt it wrong) of butter.

I would like to go the butter route since I can get butter, and dont know about them bacterium.

So, how would you go about extracting it. I'm all ears ^_^

Would anyone desperate pay NZ$18 (US$12) for 15g of magnesium? First magnesium I've every seen for sale and its on online auction site as a fire starter. They actually advertrising that it only weighs 15g as a plus....grrr

Well it turns out my flaunt with the Air Force was short lived. I decided it was best to just go for what I really want. And what I really want is pyrotechnics, so why short myself and do something else?

If that pyro doesn't work out, or I feel I need something more, Its not like the Air Force wont accept me. But I want to go to college for something, only 2 years though, 4 years doesn't sound good to me, I'm not the school type.

So if anyone knows any good 2 year degrees that would help me with pyro I would like to hear them. I'm looking for something with chemistry, that helps alot with manufacture, which is what I want.

So lets hear them, I know what I'm looking for is out there...

Thinking about the Air Force I started to realize all the things I have now, being a senior in high school, that I wont have later in life. Like the feelings about girls, and the weird shit, and all the fun that I have going to school. Like I hate the academic part of it, except for chemistr, but being with people is awesome. And to think I only have 3 months left :(

(Senior too) Yeah... personally i think im going to go to a community college for 2 years, then transfer to another college if i feel like i can handle that much school, if not ill just have to find a job i like and stick with it for a while. Perhaps painting or ceramics if i can't get a pyrotechnical position. Mabey a chemistry professor aid with full lab access if i can get on a few peoples good sides...

I can't seem to get my smokebombs right for some reason. 60:40 KNO3/Sucrose melted down and cast. It produces some major flames which will be a problem because I am making one around 500-1000 g. Does anyone have some experience with bigger ones like this and how much NaHCO3 I should add to it?

I was also thinking of casting it in a large coffee can and putting a choke on top of it to prevent as much oxygen as possible from getting to it in an effort to prevent flames.

I'm also a senior in highschool, and its funny how I know that in a few years I will miss how easy highschool was. We don't realize how much we took the few years of highschool for granted untill after we want them back.

I can't seem to get my smokebombs right for some reason. 60:40 KNO3/Sucrose melted down and cast. It produces some major flames which will be a problem because I am making one around 500-1000 g. Does anyone have some experience with bigger ones like this and how much NaHCO3 I should add to it?

I was also thinking of casting it in a large coffee can and putting a choke on top of it to prevent as much oxygen as possible from getting to it in an effort to prevent flames.

I'm also a senior in highschool, and its funny how I know that in a few years I will miss how easy highschool was. We don't realize how much we took the few years of highschool for granted untill after we want them back.

If it's burning vigorously, I would NOT try to choke it ! The oxygen is not coming from the atmosphere, it is coming from the KNO3. All that restricting it will do is build up pressure. Too much pressure, too fast = bad ( very bad )

Wow, how much do you get per kg...or lb, where ever you live?

I've been saving these since Christmas, got about 165. They're for school art, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet...

Well I get 70 cents per KG for CLEAN scrap aluminium that has been sorted. I scab everything copper stainless brass the lot. It's worth money if you can get enough of it easily enough. If you have to work to get it, it aint worth shit.

I have about 1.2 tonne of cans and probably 200KG of copper / stainless / brass, wich I'll get about $100 for.

Hey guys hows everything going? I got back from 2 weeks skiing in Canada yesterday most awsome time yet not too many hot chicks where we were staying but they love the aussie accent B) ! My girlfriend gave me a baby turtle as a welcome back present which i now need to name any ideas?

Xin: I got my ASVAB scores back!!! I just went into the office and they had them in the guidance counselors office...said he'd had them for months! He was wanting someone from the test center to come and talk over our scores with us so he was waiting to give them to us. But he said he'd go ahead and give it to me if I want it.....

How do I read the dang scores though?!?!? :P There is like 50 different numbers.... My Military Entrance Score (AFQT) is a 91 though...thats the only score I can understand! There is like 11th grade males, 11th grade females, 11th grade students, and 11th grade standard scores which all have a set of scores for each section!!

All I know is tha little Military Entrance Score at the bottom is all by itself and says 91.....is that good???

Xin: I got my ASVAB scores back!!! I just went into the office and they had them in the guidance counselors office...said he'd had them for months! He was wanting someone from the test center to come and talk over our scores with us so he was waiting to give them to us. But he said he'd go ahead and give it to me if I want it.....

How do I read the dang scores though?!?!? :P There is like 50 different numbers.... My Military Entrance Score (AFQT) is a 91 though...thats the only score I can understand! There is like 11th grade males, 11th grade females, 11th grade students, and 11th grade standard scores which all have a set of scores for each section!!

All I know is tha little Military Entrance Score at the bottom is all by itself and says 91.....is that good???

Yeah 91 is pretty good. The specific qualification for a particular job field depends on the line scores though, and they vary from job to job. You'd have to talk to the recruiter to find out, but you can pretty much do anything with a 91 AFQT, as long as your math/science/electronics knowledge tested high.

If it's burning vigorously, I would NOT try to choke it !  The oxygen is not coming from the atmosphere, it is coming from the KNO3.  All that restricting it will do is build up pressure.  Too much pressure, too fast = bad ( very bad )

From my little experience working with smokebombs, and research into them I know that if you can prevent to much exposure to the air that it helps keep it from flaming up. I originally thought the same thing, becuase it has its own oxidiser.The KNO3/sucrose/paraffin wax in a coffee can with holes poked in it is an example of what I am taking about.

I think I may just review some of the old threads and test out one of the bigger ones discussed in them.