APC Forum

Random Thread #1

Rooster

I remembered the other day about andyboy and his idea of using wippets (sp) for aerial shells. I took apart a few cans of Guiness and obtained a few, They are really sturdy and will make great cherry bombs/aerial salutes.

Does chloroform really evaporate if you use an eyedropper to seperate it out of a solution? If it dissipates that easily wouldn't a warm day evaporate it?

This is on page 12, shouldn't it be closed? What're you all doing this weekend? I think I am going to my friends and hanging out, maybe drinking.

I really want to try to synthesize a little hydrazine sulfate using very scaled down reaction so i can get a decent understanding of how it will go when i do it in my new 2L, but it is late... I still could tonight though... If i don't ill either stay up a while playing xbox, watching the current james bond marathon, or make myself get my homework out of the way.

Leaving for the last game of the playoffs before state hockey in about 30 minutes. If we don't win this, the season is over and my pyro madness starts 1 week sooner. Even sadder is the fact that I have pressure on me, as a freshman. I'm not even supposed to be playing highschool hockey yet, and I'm starting 1st line varsity. Rather sad when we have seniors running the bench, but I work hard. In retrospect, it isn't sad if you are me, though I am a bit smaller than most people. Oh well. I could whine and go on, and on...

We have a long weekend. Have monday off, so I will perhaps continue the nitration tests that I have been (HE section). I should also make some pure pyro...

Well the HS synth definatly foams like a mo-fo i ended up doing it in my 2L flask and at a few points the foam formed a column going straight out the top. Consider that the total volume of liquid was only about 230ml. I didn't filter the sodium sulfate off when the solution was still hot do to a little pH error, but no biggie, ill just re-heat the solution, filter and recrystalize my HS yield.

Then i think i might dry out about 2lbs of desicators and set a few handfulls drying out some 27% H2O2 for a few months. Some drying out my isopropyl alcohol so i can have closer to 99%. Then use some drying something else...

It's weird you say that. Mine did not foam at all. There were lots of bubbles, but I had a huge surface area I don't know what was going on. I know everyone else's always foams and has a ton of different color transitions, but didn't have either. I definatly got hydrazine sulfate though. I think I made some hydrazinium copper complexes with it.

My ammonia solution was OTC and had a very soapy feeling, so that could be it. I assumed it was atleast 5% NH4OH. i just took the beaker out of the freezer and it was a solid block, so after it melts down ill try to get out my HS.

Next time if i decide to go with a little bit bigger reaction ill do like someone suggested by putting an inverted 3L soda bottle with the bottom cut off on top so the foam will have plenty of room.

Oh, and the whole time i was worried about my brand new 2L, then the fucking metal beaker tongs break... :huh: :blink: Whats up with that? One of the tongs just like snaps off... crappy metal? Luckily i wasn't holding the flask more than about a centimeter or so over the pyrex dish i was heating it on.

Edit: going to the big 'ol HD! Time to get some metal and plastic fittings, mabey some wire mesh... some xylene if they happen to have it in less than a gallon sizes for once... BTW has anyone found a very high urea fertillizer there yet?

Edit2: ended up getting brass fittings for a water jet vacuume pump. Nothing else.

Edit3: There was too much water, so i boiled it down to around 25mls. Now there is crud all over the bottom and a pretty good amount over the sides of the beaker. So much gelatinous crap.

Hey all, I have a heap of AN filled coldpack and I need to know what people have come up with as a purifying method to remove what ever other shit is in it.

I think it is calcium oxide or somthing?? Not sure.

Cheers

Here are some pics of the 3/4" brass star pump I am making in metalwork:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/mep...uaterCavity.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/mep...alfinchHole.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/mep...aterCavity2.jpg

That is just the sleeve. I still have to turn the piston and end for it. I am tapering the sleeve at the end and putting knurling just above the beggining of the taper for grip. I'll post more pics tommorow evening (Hopefully the finished sleeve with taper and knurling and at least a start on the piston).

My next project is making a hydraulic press. I have a 1" metal plate that I can make the necessary parts from (the top and bottom). School just got a new plasma cutter (some $18,000 USD worth.) It isn't set up yet though, ohh but when it is :D :ph34r:

After that I suppose I will turn a cannon from some of the leftover brass, and turn some more star pumps of different sizes (maybe antoehr 3/4" or two for mates). I have a big year of metalwork ahead and nearly all my projects are pyro tools :ph34r:

Really, just disolve it and collect the powdery white shit?

Fuck, that is simple, I was expecting a full on synth like procedure.

Well, thanks.

Cheers ppl.

Just to clear that up, you want to get rid of the white stuff and keep the clear liquid. Evaporate the water so you're left with NH4NO3 crystals.

Here's something random to give some people a laugh-

That poor kitty...Hahaha

Just to clear that up, you want to get rid of the white stuff and keep the clear liquid. Evaporate the water so you're left with NH4NO3 crystals.

Here's something random to give some people a laugh-

That poor kitty...Hahaha

LOL Po, good stuff.

No, just some black powder, I think it was milled for two hours, maybe three. About a teaspoon tipped on the grass. Screen shot will show it as BP better:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/kakkak/bpbp.jpg

And just to ruin everyone's fun, the cat didn't really disappear. :lol: If you look in that screen shot, or in the video after the BP has ignited, you'll see a dark figure in the background at the top left. The cat survived the blast!

An alkyl ketone with a benzene ring substituent on the alkane chain. The benzene ring cannot have an OH on it.

I am pretty sure thats what it is.

Then i think i might dry out about 2lbs of desicators and set a few handfulls drying out some 27% H2O2 for a few months.

Why do that? Just simmer off the water. Go a few degrees below the boiling point of H2O2 and let the water evaporate. I've used a few litres of 3% H2O2 boiled down to 30% to make MEKP.

Your name is Tyler?

Heh I did some more work on the sleeve and cut the brass for the piston (takes ages on the bandsaw). I'll post pics in a minute, gotta find the camera.

EDIT: Here are the photos of the pump sleeve. Took me an one and a half hours to do this (mainly because this is the first time I have done metalwork and still don't know how do do alot of things)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/mep...eKnurlTaper.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/mep...perAndKnurl.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/mep.../FrontTaper.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/mep...BackKnurled.jpg

I decided to link instead of IMG tag them in case someone isnt interested so they dont get the loading slower because of it.

Im going for a concentration higher than the azetrope around 30%...

Haha. That was cool Swany. In my early pyro days I experimented with BP rockets and they soon got banned after a similiar exponentially loud and unexpected CATO.

Yep. I am Tyler, and I cut it off so you wouldn't here the rest of my name, full name, with one of my brothers middle names inserted in there as well. Ohh she was not happy. I think I'll bake the neighbors some cookies, such nice people. ;)

Neighbors:

Marsha: "What hell was that noise Fred!?"

Fred: "Just the crazy kid next door Marsha."

Marsha: "Oh. We're having pork chops for dinner by the way."

LOL that vid was pretty funny.

http://www.apcforum.net/files/ticato.wmv

What a fantastic fountain CATO :blink:

Note mom decided to start yelling at me before the echoes were through.

It was one of Kilo's big tubes with Ti/meal. 1/3rd core and nozzle.

Time to run from the police :ph34r:

You call that a CATO ? *This* is a CATO :) Big-ass CATO

Seriously though, a good cato like that from a fountain is always more of a surprise than from an 'edgy' rocket. You can hear me jinx the launch by saying "please don't cato". I cut the camera and was packing out of there before the echo's died away LOL...