APC Forum

Random Thread #1

Rooster

Looks like the Air Force is for me. :D

I take my ASVAB today, which is a test that measures you in four different category's. Word knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Arithmetic Reasoning, and Mathematics Knowledge. All sections have a time limit and you get as much done as you can with in that.

I hope to score around an 80, my goal is to be either Missile and Space Systems Electronics Maintenance, Aerospace Propulsion, or Aircraft Electrical and Environmental Systems. So basically something that involves something that goes in the sky and the electronics of it.

If I decide to go through with it, which I'm sure I will in some form, I'll leave for basic the end of July or beginning of April. So I'll just have to put on a really really good fireworks show for the 4th considering it will be the last encounter with fireworks for at least a year. So far to get ready for basic I run every morning at 6am, usually for 30min around my hood. Then I come home and workout, focusing on push-ups and sit-ups.

I just hope I don't screw myself with my score on the ASVAB preventing me on getting the job I want. Wish me luck ;)

Good luck on that ASVAB test. Sounds like you have a pretty good idea what field you want to get into.

If you have any possible choice, try to go to boot camp in April, not July. San Antonio in July is sweltering.

You do not need to absorb all of the BP slurry, however, the left over slurry is inferior for re-use, because the cotton string will wick up the soluble KNO3, leaving the leftover BP low in oxidizer.

The BP should not just be in a thin layer on the outside of the string, it should penetrate within the fibers of the string.

I thought about low ixidizer BP problam, but this my problem is with the first batch so there isn't any problem like this yet ^_^

And I think the BP penetrated quit enogh to the string, any where I cut it it's black and not white like in the "clean state".

But when the black match burn it lookes like only the outer BP surface is burning. This why I thought maybe I should try thicker BP slurry so the coating will be thicker.

If the coating is thicker, it won't penetrate as easily though. This may be your problem here. While sitting in class I was thinking about your problem. One thing may just be that the blackmatch is not dry yet. The extra dextrin would slow down the drying process. I don't know how long it has been drying. The outside does dry before the inside, so it may seem dry without actually being fully dry. Trust me 800g worth of black match will definatly last you a while. I made roughly 150 feet last spring, and I have hardly made a dent. I find I use about 2grams of BP a foot on average.

So you're going enlisted then, I would personally want to be an officer but thats just me. I'm contemplating the Air Force, but I think I'll be able to go to college, then work for say lockeed, boeing, thiokal, ect....

Lucky for me I have 3 and a half years to find out so, I have enough time to think.

XinE895: Good luck on your ASVAB although its really no big deal. I have already taken that test earlier this year, its really easy for the most part. It is just basic stuff and then a few small specialized sections.... one for automotive, one for electronics (which I bombed), and one for like basic physics (very basic).

Its really not a big deal and doesn't really mean anything..... I got a couple fliers for army/navy/air force with a note on the bottom saying something like "Congratulations on your exceptional ASVAB scores contact us for details on your future in the armed forces" or something like that. The funny thing is I still havn't recieved my scores yet, I thnk you might be able to request them in the office....

As far as the black match....for starters you are sure its dry right and not driven in or anything? I'd say use less dextrin...try 5% for starters. Just a thought, you have been seperating batches for your match right? You havn't been trying to just wet the meal run string through it, rewet the 800g batch and run string through it over and over have you?

I would be incompatible with the military, I am afraid. My brother is an exellent pilot, and considered a career as a fighter pilot, but decided he didn't like all that went with it, but he loves flying. He's deciding between Yale and Harvard law as of now, though the dean of admissions at Georgetown or somewhere called to recruit him, so I guess that the LSAT scores say he should be a laywer.

Good luck with the Airforce!

Just so everyone knows, I want to go to MIT, major in either aerospace or aeronautic engineering, and double major in some chemistry field. Materials or organic, or something fun. Then, I want to go work for raytheon or somewhere fun and shoot missiles at stuff. (Bigbang and I have talked some, and our aspirations are freakishly similar)

My brother is a computer science engineer, and I found out that he designs chips for NASA, Raytheon, and some other important people.

I have a cousin who does ballistic testing etc. on developed weaponry, basically they are Raytheon's competiters. Lucky bastard.

In other news I am really sick of my 'advanced physical science class'. It is for 'advaced' people, yet I am so far ahead it isn't even funny. 70% of the class gets awnsers from me, rather than asking the teacher. Bright side: I start collecting money and I will have a mag-stirrer/hotplate and an AK in no time. :ph34r:

Off to go try to make some magnetite. Going to make some FeCl2, FeCl3, and mix them fastly (so FeCl2 doesnt oxidise too fast) in molar amounts for FeO.Fe2O3, and then add some ammonia. Hopefully this should ppt. magnetite! I could use a hydroxide I guess...

I had a look on www.pyrocreations.com and saw their 3" hemis are 2-5/8" is this normal? I am thinking of purchacing 150 1" shells and 72 3" shells as this is only $45. I am awaiting the shipping quote now. The minimum order for the bulk discount was 6 so I decided to get that of each.

I had a look on www.pyrocreations.com and saw their 3" hemis are 2-5/8" is this normal? I am thinking of purchacing 150 1" shells and 72 3" shells as this is only $45. I am awaiting the shipping quote now. The minimum order for the bulk discount was 6 so I decided to get that of each.

Must be, because the ones from Skylighter, and the ones that I got from a guy on rec.pyrotechnics were also 3 5/8" diameter.

I was wondering earlier today about that... if the 3/8" slop in the mortar would be a problem, but I just launched a 3" shell about 1/2 hour ago and it worked just fine.

I made a star roller yesterday B) I used a REAL pottery wheel with variable speed. I rolled some bentonite around a few peppercorns to help pick up composition more readily. The only thing I am unsure of is the speed to run it at. :huh:

Heres a link to a video of it running and slowly accelerating, could someone tell me what speed is suitable? (when to stop)

Video

and a picture of the core and the coated core.

post-9-1139467328_thumb.jpg

Thats some pretty bad spiking!

Mumbles: I would be very interested in competitions starting up again!!!!

I've been sick this whole damn week. Haven't been able to sleep because my fucking throat and head hurts so damn much. How can I fall asleep when in so much pain (other than taking sleeping pills or pain meds)? Ugh, when I get back to school I'll have a fuckton of homework too :(. Fuck illness.

Maybe you are right mumbles. I'll put some match on the heating of the house (gets to about 60-80 degrees celsius) for some days and see if it makes any differ.

Draco_Aster, I think the speed you need is about the speed in the 3.5 sec in the movie.

Thank you very much Chaz!!!

Yeah that is some very bad spiking....but its bentonite he rolled with. Bentonite would be really bad about spiking because of how fine it is and how readily it absorbs moisture....so its kinda unnavoidable...

I agree with al9535, I would like to see the competitions start up again especially since I will be able to join in this time! But we need to think up some new ways of doing it to make it a little more organized like maybe sighning up? Then having a deadline in which the devices should be entered by?

Happy Birthday Pyrohawk! Funny, I never knew it showed if it was your birthday :P

It is quite odd how Swany and I wish to do almost the same thing. I used to live across the street from the raytheaom plant( or one of them.) They had alot of weird things going I there that I could glimps from the fence in the woods. :ph34r:

Im goin out 100-200Km to the Great Barrier Reef for 2-3 days. I love fishshing ^_^

Last time we went we brought back over 30 good sized fish back. Mostly Coral Trout.

Here's some randomness...

I got a Sig 229 9mm last weekend, used in mint condition (got it for $580) gonna take it to the range this weekend. Oooo it's badass. Hands down, Sig's are the best handguns, period. Carrying her with 147 grain Federal Hydra Shok ammo. Got 200 rounds of cheap ass 115 grain FMJ Blazer, gun store had it on sale $5 per 50.

I'm having second thought on using a 300mm diameter 25L container for a ball mill. Maybe a bit to big? I need a good container and apart from its large size its perfect. I've been looking for years and I saw it in a plastic shop the other day for $35.

Edit: Please think about it I mean it must be possible right? I know filling it half up with lead media would be crazy and the weight would proberly generate its own magnetic field but what if I used wooden grinding rods or balls?

I'm having second thought on using a 300mm diameter 25L container for a ball mill. Maybe a bit to big? I need a good container and apart from its large size its perfect. I've been looking for years and I saw it in a plastic shop the other day for $35.

Edit: Please think about it I mean it must be possible right? I know filling it half up with lead media would be crazy and the weight would proberly generate its own magnetic field but what if I used wooden grinding rods or balls?

If you need a fairly large jar, and are willing to pay a bit for one, I highly recommend this :

Thumlers 12lb jar

Here's a link to their 3lb and 15lb jars: Thumlers jars

I have 2 of the 3 lb and a 12 lb jar, and I love them. Much quieter than PVC jars.

How big are those 12lb jars? I determined the optimum speed for my container to be 50rpm. I'm just thinking how to fill the jar up half full with milling material without making it super heavy. I don't really want to buy another jar.

Mumbles you were right. I left my match on the heating like I said I would for 2 days now and every day it gets better. today it burned consistently but still not very fast.

I'll guess it can't dry out with all the humidity. last time I made black match batch was in the summer and it worked fine, so I guess I just didn't thought about it ^_^

How big are those 12lb jars? I determined the optimum speed for my container to be 50rpm. I'm just thinking how to fill the jar up half full with milling material without making it super heavy. I don't really want to buy another jar.

The 'outside' diameter, at the driving band is 8.25 inches. The diameter of the actual container section is 6 inches. It is a hexagonal chamber, with facets 3.5 inches wide. The length of the jar is 8 inches.

OK, I just fuddled my way through calculating area and volume of a hexagon and converting results to metric. The volume is 615 cubic inches, or just a fraction over 10 liters, 2.66 US gallons. According to Ball Milling Theory and Practice, the optimum charge of *lead* media for the jar is 77.14 lb, about 35 Kg ! Hmmm.. I see that I have undercharged this jar, as I only have 40 lb of lead media. It takes less weight with other media of course, an optimum media charge of high alumina ceramic would be only 17 lb. ( not what I would use for milling black powder )

Wow... just did the conversion for your 25L jar... theoretically, you require 86 kilo of lead media for optimum charge !

Heh, I love to stir things up. Anyone here go to the paradox forum? Well I just found a way to piss of nerds with no life what so ever! :lol:

I've been meaning to ask this for some time now.

What is peoples experience using Hex-brass rod as milling media for BP.

Is it sparky?

Thanks