APC Forum

Random Thread #1

Rooster

I disagree with you on that. I have a Harbor Freight rock tumbler and it makes pretty good BP. Just 10 hours seems to do the trick just fine. I've made a lot of BP with this thing over the year or two I've owned it and have been quite pleased with the purchase, the only downside is that the belt breaaks really fast and I have to replace it after every batch of BP.....

Randomn: Just fired off a shell and was very impressed! It was a pinkish star with a chrysanthemum tail and worked really well! Unfortunately it won't show up in the camera, the chrysanthemum tail isn't visible at all and the pink head of the star is barely visible :rolleyes: I might add howevor that I tried wrapping this shell in strapping tape (the kind with fiberglass strips in it) before pasting. This seemed to have made a stronger burst with a nice loud reprt and 100% star ignition.

I'm sorry I should have told you that I only run it in the day time so it is probely less then 24 hours. I have had 3 belts brake but they have lasted a lot longer then 10 hours. If you are useing rubber bands that could be why they are breaking after every batch.

Justanotherpyro, get a Shooting Chronograph, they are cheaper than Paint ball chrono's and measure from 30 or so FPS to above 6000FPS. I just glanced for a few mins and found a few for under $100USD, I ahve seen them as low as $35USD. They are waterproof, strong, and lightweight.

Im planning on joining a gun club. I know which one and all but would like some advice on what style of shooting to take up. I will try them all but Im one of those people who likes to have a second opinion(or 10 :P ).

What is a good gun to start with. My uncle and grandfather already have a .303, .270, 22, shotgun, air rifle.

Thats all I have fired

Get an AK. They're cheap ($350 to $450 for a new Century Intl Arms Romanian unit), will always shoot, the ammo is cheap (Wolf or Russian Brand) and they're fun. Not the most accurate gun ever made but certainly one of the most, if not the most reliable guns ever made. Did I say they're fun to shoot?

I also like AR's, preferably M-4 with Trijicon ACOG or Aimpoint COMP M3 (can use that model Aimpoint with the ANPVS series of night vision scopes, which are cool too) sights. I like the upper with the ~12" barrel and 4" permanently attached flash suppressor (gives you a legal 16" barrel).

If you're looking for accuracy go with an AR with accurized bull barrell, a remington 700 series bolt action (customized to your liking) or the new FNFAL tactical bolt action rifles.

If you're looking for a handgun go with a Sig 226, I've yet to shoot a more accurate or better feeling handgun (Navy SEALS, several Fed agencies and many countles police officers carry/use them) that's not made specifically for accurized target shooting.

Wahoo! First post and first light for my new and improved ball mill. I have finally found the ultimate container. Its a 25L (no thats not a typo!) brewing barrel that is perfectly cylindrical and the lid is recessed and sealed with a rubber o-ring. This is gonna be a big bertha! Approching the scale of those in Sweden which use windmills to turn the barrel, and with wooden balls grinding the BP instead of lead. I think lead would just be too expensive and weigh the container down to much with 2500cc of space to fill.

It will be powered by a washing machine motor and sit on two hefty 5/8 silver steel rods (to support enourmous loaded weight). And of course 4 quality bearings!

Any comments I'll have to get a picture.

You should load your jar with about 50% media in volume for efficiency. If you feel only 2.5 liter with medias you can just use 5 liter jar.

good luck thou.

Does anyone remember the IRC server for the pyrotechnics chat? I want to have something to do at school lessons..

EDIT: and 25l is 25 000 ml not 2 500.

Everytime I went into that chat in the past couple months there was either no one in there or one person who wasn't talking.

I too had a problem with getting "Parse Errors", but re-booting my machine solved the problem.

I really like the look of the place.

Good Job Guys! :rolleyes:

It's a good thing I upped my allowable pm's from 50 to 500. I've already passed the 50 mark from HE requests alone in just 2 days. Just so you know, it is 50 messages total. The incoming and outgoing each count if you save them to your sent folder.

Draco, what kind of gun club are you joining? Just an all around gun club with random Rifles, or is it pistols, rimfire, center fire? Need some more info...

*edit* Second post!!! *w00t*!!!!

Black powder weapons are fun to shoot, although I've only taken maybe 3 shots with them. I supose don't kill yourself and if you gain their respect, you might be able to bring out something "fun" to play with B)

I was lucky enough to get a peek at passfire today, and for that matter till the 8th. I must say it does have a very nice assortment of articles, comps, ect, including an elusive blue go-getter composition which I have been after for a while. Now I just need to organize this and add it to my tutorial book(if you want it, join the info pool, that is the only way you'll get it!) Oh, and why I'm getting only a peek and not a subscription is because I just don't have 40 buck, and paypal hates me. I think since he live in FLorida, I might try to meet him at one of those secrtive Fl club meets :ph34r:

That last smiley is neeto!

My parse error problem has gone away and restarting did not help, i restared 3 times.

LOL, now I can't remember why I wanted to go in there to begin with.

It's funny how that works out sometimes, you want something, can't get it, then forget why you wanted it. Happens to me all the time.

I got my report card today and I am very satisfied, staight A's but the best part is I have all the service hours I need to graduate. It turns out that by pushing a button to launch rockets at the club I go to, gives me 8 hours per day I'm there. Sneeky me finding out the easy fun way to accomplish something :ph34r:

I'm pretty mad right now...... Last night I shot off a shell and it worked great but..... When I looked at it on the camera, you can't even see it!

For some reason my camera won't pick up chrysanthemum from far away... It works fine for starmines but with shells you can't even see them unless theyre really bright. The head of the star which was a pinkish wasn't very bright and just looks like tiny sparkles in the camera. :angry: I need to get a good picture of one of my shells but the stupid camera keeps letting me down.......

If there are any optons for white balance try screwing around with those. Some of the newer cameras have settings for darker areas that don't requre the night shot.

Um how do we access the old forum? I was eagerly awaiting some replies and then found that my username didn't even exsist on the same websitev :huh: This is not critism though this is a nice makeover for forum and it actually remebers my username so don't have to repetively log in every time I load up Internet Explorer. Thats a huge perp. Which means I can write longer posts before my fingers get sore (I'm a two finger typer on the good days). Nice job Mumbles, and everyone else who worked on this new look

I assume it digital, and on some I have seen the above mentioned "dark veiwing" feature. Fiddle around with it and is all else fails, get a new one or borrow a friends. Use those clepto skills to get your self a setup to veiw your creations :ph34r:

I have the best klepto skills...

But the camera issue seems to me like a mixture of the white values being to low, the distance being to far, or you just have a shitty camera...

If it is the third, go get a disposable video camera from CVS (Yes they have disposable DVD taking cameras at CVS)

Good luck with your camera~!

Ehhh its just a crappy Kodak Easyshare 7300....... There doesn't seem to be anything like that I can adjust to change the color. Besides I don't take pictures of them I just take a video of them then freeze a frame....

Maybe I could try taking a picture and I'd get a better image of it?? But it sucks trying to take pictures of fireworks... You miss them half the time.....

Edit: Didn't want to double post..... Is Chaz's filehost down or is it just me?? I can't view his list of videos at all....and can't upload anything either....

If you have the money go out and get high speed camera, one that takes like 30 frames per second. Even then youll miss sometimes. But the best thing I could reccomend is if you got an actual video camera, not one of the cameras that takes videos. Aren't the easyshares just cameras that take videos? If not disregard that last note, but still, get a decent camera and youll be fine.