APC Forum

Random Thread #1

Rooster

http://www.apcforum.net/files/ticato.wmv

What a fantastic fountain CATO  :blink:

Note mom decided to start yelling at me before the echoes were through.

It was one of Kilo's big tubes with Ti/meal. 1/3rd core and nozzle.

Time to run from the police  :ph34r:

You call that a CATO ? *This* is a CATO :) Big-ass CATO

Seriously though, a good cato like that from a fountain is always more of a surprise than from an 'edgy' rocket. You can hear me jinx the launch by saying "please don't cato". I cut the camera and was packing out of there before the echo's died away LOL...

Damn, i never get bangs like that, most of the things i make work or fail in a really non impressive way.

Howcome you have such good sound on your camera, external mike maybe.

Damn, i never get bangs like that, most of the things i make work or fail in a really non impressive way.

Howcome you have such good sound on your camera, external mike maybe.

No external mic. It was just really loud. There was a 20 gram salute riding that CATO.

Speaking of cameras though, I still need to learn how to adjust many variables on mine, I always forget to go to manual focus so it drifts out in the dark, and I know there is a way to improve the color rendition, because my shells look much more colorful live. Perhaps I should try filming just after dusk.

Don't mean to be rude or impatient, but, Chaz!

What's going on with the flying fish on ukvisco.com? Any idea when they'll be available, and when pricing will be confirmed? Also, did you get my PMs regarding them?

My microphone sucks as well, and its on the camera, these were just *really* loud. I detted 35g of high power plastique, and it comes no where near to this sound on the camera. It blew a frying pan inside out, and put a 8 inch hole in it. I don't think the fountain would've done that.

I found half of the tube this morning, they are spiral wound, but most of this half was against the brick thing, and it is very scratched up, implying that when it CATO'd it blew off the brick and bounced a meter or 2. I doubt I will find the other half.

Frozentech, i've watched this clip of yours for the 50th time now and it gets funnier with every replay

"Please don't CATO".......whooosh....BANG, funny heh.

"I detted 35g of high power plastique, and it comes no where near to this sound on the camera."

LOL. You were a prudent distance away, Swany. Frozen's was rather more... proximate.

And VERY NICE bang there, Frozentech!! You were getting great lift. Well, for a moment or two anyway. :rolleyes:

"I detted 35g of high power plastique, and it comes no where near to this sound on the camera."

LOL. You were a prudent distance away, Swany. Frozen's was rather more... proximate.

And VERY NICE bang there, Frozentech!! You were getting great lift. Well, for a moment or two anyway. :rolleyes:

Thanks. I comfort myself with the thought that, well.. technically it *was* an aerial salute. Post mortem was not possible on the shreds of confetti that remained the following morning. I am fairly certain I know the cause of that particular cato, I neglected to put in a clay bulkhead with a passfire, and didn't have enough comp above the core, causing a rapid burnthrough to the 2" plastic ball shell that held the flash.

This may sound a little odd question, but in my country kraft paper isn't common, so I'm using other kinds of papers.

Can some one cut a A4 size sheet out of 70/40 or some other kraft paper and weigh it?

I want to know it's weight in grams.

Thanks alot.

Actually, the camera was about double as far with the plastique. With the CATO, I was about the same distance both... explosions. Frozentech's is cooler, but I had faith that mine would not CATO. Oh well.

I need ideas for a science fair project, it has to be some sort of reseach, that awsners a question, and it has to be SAFE.

Along the lines of kraft paper. Where do you in the US get yours from.Or any good substitutes that work for members here.

That Kraft is most likely recycled. If you want virgin, it's a lot harder to find. Fortunately, I have a local source of virgin Kraft rolls, 35# and 70#. I have to buy a dozen rolls or so at a time, though, so I offer it for sale at my Guild shoots. $25/roll (web price is about $45 plus shipping last time I checked.)

Anyone who's interested (and who can get to Wausau Wisconsin to pick it up) is welcome in on the deal. PM me if you want more info. I'll be at the shootsite April 29th and again May 12th-13th. Also have available .022 chipboard, $45/bundle of 110-23"x35" sheets, or 50 cents per sheet, minimum ten sheets.

M

I got my craft paper from micheals or hobby lobby...

HNB - wikipedia

One method of produceing HNB is oxidizing the amine group in pentanitroaniline to a nitro group. I have been wondering if this would work for other amines for a loooong time... has anyone came across any other amine oxidations like this?

RNH2 + H2O2 + H2SO4 ---> RNO2

... I forgot what i was going to say...

Ok, some of you computer knowledged peoples....I need help... I like to delete all my cookies occassionally. But when I went to do it tonight all the cookies will delete except for 3.... The index for this site and two other randomn websites.

Why won't they delete??!? They have decent file sizes to 32kb for this site and 15kb apiece for the other two..... I really want these three things gone so why won't they go away?!?!? :blink:

It's one of the ones in the things in the Novelty section of the Passfire archive.

The composition is called Degn White:

16 Sulfur

12 Potassium Nitrate

1 Charcoal

Rammed with a piece of dowel and a hammer. I didn't know how important the vent hole was, but even if it's a little bit bigger or smaller than 1/8" it screws it up completely. I made some 50/50 smoke/BP prime yesterday, today I'm going to make some more straight composition.

I'd actually feel pretty safe giving these to friends. They only work as they are, if they get the stuff out of them it'll just splutter in a molten blob and make some choking fumes. And a piece of blackmatch won't do much harm. The only thing that stops me is they'd probably sell them to other people I don't trust, and they'd probably light them in the middle of a busy street or something stupid.

Weird story about these smoke bombs, I had one in my hand filling a 4L plastic bottle with smoke to see how concentrated it would get. Then after a while the smoke caught on fire and filled the bottle with bright blue flame and made a pretty loud pop noise as it shot away and sprayed my hand with warm exhaust. Gave me a bit of a shock.

Got my chems!

Sodium benzoate, KClO4, -325 mesh Al bright flake 5-28 micron, red gum, parlon, strontium carbonate, flying fish yellow, and flying fish crackling fuse. I'm quite happy!

You guys should check out the new skylighter newsletter. Theres a pretty cool video of some Japanese people making an assload of shells. You will drool all over yourself seeing how many there are. Boxes and boxes and more boxes. If you have slow internet you probably shouldnt watch the whole thing, its 12 minutes long. Mmmm... shells.

Ultrabuf-

How/where did you see that video on that Japanese site? I tried the link on skylighter and it brang me to the site but there was no videos. I see numbers 1-8 and a picture of a shell but no videos.

Here's a link:

hxxp://www.art-ichiyama-hanabi.com/movie/process/all.wmv

for the complete (30mb) file. I'm downloading this as I write. Looks way cool.

M

Wow if i worked there i would be snaggin a couple of them. I wish i lived in china. :P

By the way the place that's on the movie is Japan.

I just got done pouring my lead filled .45 shells to be used as milling media. I'm excited that I can finally start making BP again. :)