• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hehe Mumbles....most of the equipment is not in my lab yet, I left it in a friends shed, where I will clean decades of dust off of it. Now all the precious metal compounds I have got for free, those are here, but I saw one of the home alone movies yesterday, so don't try any funny business :lol:

Froogle the cost of 25g of 5% Rh on C :blink: :o

post-9-1150669854_thumb.jpg

Rhodium is like the most expensive precious metal now isnt it? Like 3 grand an ounce?

Aahh the joys of lab clearances!

Long ago I rescued my mill from a skip (adjustable rollers and speed, with three ceramic jars B) ), along with a relative humidity meter, unnecessarily accurate digi scales, some milling media, also got a friability tester which I use for priming stars. I now have my eye on a hydraulic press with a built in sheild and pressure guage :D They never use it!

Dunno about most expensive, but really really expensive.

EDIT: The one thing about lab clearances, be careful what you take. Old capacitors are full of pcbs(Now I have 2 dozen :( ) and I almost took lots of powdered uranium ore(for the bottles it was in). Luckily I was mildly worried about it because of the yellow nature of the unlabeled powder, and paranoia about uranium based on some 'experiances' in my lab job, so I took it up to the lab I work at and tested with geiger counter. That stuff I do not take.

I need to build a MOT arc welder to power the arc melter though.

Amazing.... that's all I have to say.

Hey, feeling like making some xenon fluorides, with hydrolysis to xenon trioxide? :)

Thats what I thought when I saw the xenon ^_^.

Perhaps when I have more of a reputation at my uni I will ask if I may try in the lab of a professor. No way I use F2 at home.

• 4 weeks later...

The past few weeks have been a dream for me. Within 3-4 weeks I recieved my first real shipment of REAL fuse, some metal powders and homemade charcoal from a friend, inorganic lab setup, 3" hemis and a cool looking zippo lighter. Oh, and I found sources of cheap chems in a city near me.

:D Life is good

Saturday was a good day:

Went to 'my' pharmacy and Steffi told me the sodium iodide is on the way...

Went home and came by that shed that always smelled of solvents. Went in and found an old man (81), the owner of a custom-paint shop and the sole employee. He mixes special paints in low amounts (100l or something). He's totally nuts, having open buckets of thinner for hand-washing, complaining that "the good ol' benzene was better but he can't get it no more"!

After starting a conversation about how expensive everything got, especially chems at the pharmacy, and after listening to his war storries for an hour, I got some toluene, xylene, ethylacetate.... for free right from the 55 galon barrels. Plus an invitation to come back if I run out.

I wonder what he meant when he said his most powerfull solvent was "butyl acetone or what's it called". ButyROl acetone, gamma btw? I didn't push my luck that day, but we'll see...

I seen Jethro Tull play last night, assisted by a local orchestra and some crazy girl with a violin. It was pretty sweet. Ian Anderson (the singer/flute player) is a pretty funny guy, and I got to see him play the flute on one foot, so that was pretty cool. Yep... pretty sweet, pretty sweet. :)

DAMN, Boomer, life is good!!! You've found a chick that dosen't think that pyro-chems make you some kind of terrorist-wierdo-freak, and a real-live time machine back to the days when a guy could just walk into a store and buy HNO3, flasks of mercury, and Lead-based paint!

What's next, maybe find an old hardware store that still has a case of dynamite left over from the 1920's!

Well the past few weeks my friends and I have been wakeboarding a lot, because it has been so hot. Today was the best wakeboard day ive had though. Instead of going to the lake at 11:00am we got there at 7:00am and the water was glass with no other boats! A couple days ago I landed my first tantrum (basically a backflip for those non wakeboarders) and today I was landing them like nothing! We added an extra 900lbs. of weight in my boat and it made the wake soo much bigger and more solid. I will post a video soon of my tantrum!

Souds good! - congrats for landing that first tantrum. It's a great feeling isn't it! Try adding a nice indy grab to them - it's not too hard. Next you might want to move onto a backroll, then try a roll to 180. Careful though, if you clip the edge while landing doing a roll to 180, you'll experience the single worst faceplant of your life!

Ballast is a wakeboarders best friend! Fat people work great too!

Hey guys (and girls :ph34r:) I just got back form my vacation at grand cayman and it was awesome! I will post picks and stuff later when I get them downloaded/developed. I was there for about a week. It was very expensive though. Every meal cost like $150. I got to see turtles and even got to touch/hold stingrays. It was awesome. We probably won't be going back only because the prices were too high.

I snokled most of the trip by the hotel (awesome). Then my family and I scuba dived the last two days and the was amazing. All the fish and coral made me believe I was dreaming.

Hope you guys have a fun summer :D .

I just found 10 feet of cannon fuse! Not much but I bought it at a local gunshop for $5 a long time ago. The fuse is still in its orginal packaging and is still in good quality.

The backroll will be my next trick on the list. Shouldn't be too hard now that I am used to going upside down! I want to learn it toeside as well, so im not just stuck with the heelside wake all the time. Once I get the hang of the back roll im going to start working on my spins. I hate spins though, they scare me worse than inverts. For the few times I have tried them I always stall in the air and the wrecks hurt a lot worse than invert wrecks.

Here is the video finally. My comp was giving me crap, so I B slapped it and it works now.

Tantrum!

I am only going to leave it up for about a week, just so everyone knows.

Man that was awesome! I wish I could do stuff like that. Of course I've never been wakeboarding (or whatever it's called) so I really don't know what I'm capable of but I'm guessing I would be falling a lot (It's what I do).

Don't be shy posting jackass videos (if you have any) as those can be very entertaining: rolleyes: .

Nice one Joe! you nailed it pretty good!

That wake looks a little small though - what boat are you using?

Extremely jealous of the setting and conditions you have there. Makes my local lake look like a muddy paddling pool in comparison!

It's a 99' Glastron inboard/outboard. Good all around boat, but not to good for boarding. The wake is pretty small even with all the weight. Before then though it was pathetic. Kept trying tantrums and could never quite land them, then we put all the weight in, second jump and I stuck it fine and have been since then! My dream is to ride behind a Malibu Wakesetter with the wedge down and full ballast. I hear the wake is like launching off a vert ramp. Do you have a boat?

Woops, didn't know I was on my friends account. The above post was supposed to be from me :P

You did well to land an invert off that wake. When you've skid behind a boat made specifically for wakeboarding, you'll never want to go back.

I wish I had a boat, but no. I do live close to the biggest cable tow in Europe, but I don't really like cable skiing. That wakesetter sounds insane. Biggest wake I ever played with was a Mastercraft X-star overloaded with ballast and too many people - it took an age to get up to speed but it was well worth it. Catching a double-up from that thing was very scary. I knocked myself out crashing during a double-up single trick competition. Good thing it was in a comp and there were medics at hand!

Reminds me of the midnight floodlit round of the Euro championships in '98. I was pissed up on red bull and Gin, and still got 8th place overall. If you ever get the chance to ski at night with floodlights, take it. It's a very eerie experience. Good times : )

V for Vendetta is awesome, and me having the DVD. It even came with a fancy little poster ^_^