APC Forum

Random Thread #1

Rooster

Ok right I found it after hours of searching it was on Al's post:http://wwwc.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/0402/23/NYHETER-23s11pulver_368.jpg

I have never actualy made AP and I'm proud on that :lol: .

Yeah, well on the forum he stated: YOu should only store and make small amounts of AP, Because AP is known to screw people up... (yeah it scrued him pretty well, but I wonder what a LARGE amount of TCAP for him is)...like 2kg?

And BTW he was driing it with 3 lamps...

No, flash powder is not required to make a shell. Well, not required for shells in general, but a few do require it. They tend to be quite a bit more advanced than people starting out will be making though.

Does anyone else find it ironic that the first HE most people synth just happens to be one of the most unstable?

People often do really stupid things first. And its not just with HE. Look towards fireworks for instance. Or fast cars. Or drugs. Or women. YouTube can show you... Well... not so much with the women... but it can show you the rest.

You do not always need tooling made specifically for fireworks. Most of us here improvise the majority of our tools. For instance many of us have star pumps that are just plastic syringes with one end of the dispenser cut off. Or a PVC or aluminum tube and a piece of wooden dowel rod. I use wax paper and a ruler when I'm making cut stars. DIY rocket tooling is a little more ominous, however for small blackpowder rockets it can be made from wooden dowel rod, with a brass rod as a spindel.

You can even go the super easy way by making a base that your tube will fit on well, then pounding a nozzel, pounding in black powder propellant, then delay or a clay plug with passfire. Then just carefully use a drill bit in your hand to put a hole through the clay plug and into the propellant grain making as deep a cavity as your propellant can handle. A good staring point is around 1/3 whatever ID your tube is for the OD of a drill bit.

What exactly are you wanting to do? Its best to pick a project and go for it. Smoke mix, black powder, black match fuse, fountains, then black powder rockets is a good introductory transition.

If you are making rockets Its recommended you buy some tooling that has been professionally made. But for anything under 1/2" you can easily make something without to much effort that will work fine.

Anything bigger than half a inch go buy a set of tooling, you wont regret it.

Everything else can be made easily (star pumps, plates, hydraulic press, star roller). Probably best to buy a decent ball mill unless you have the parts to make a Sponenburgh mill.

If you have trouble thinking up suitable designs you can cheat and buy them off Passfire

People often do really stupid things first. And its not just with HE. Look towards fireworks for instance. Or fast cars. Or drugs. Or women. YouTube can show you... Well... not so much with the women... but it can show you the rest.

You do not always need tooling made specifically for fireworks. Most of us here improvise the majority of our tools. For instance many of us have star pumps that are just plastic syringes with one end of the dispenser cut off. Or a PVC or aluminum tube and a piece of wooden dowel rod. I use wax paper and a ruler when I'm making cut stars. DIY rocket tooling is a little more ominous, however for small blackpowder rockets it can be made from wooden dowel rod, with a brass rod as a spindel.

You can even go the super easy way by making a base that your tube will fit on well, then pounding a nozzel, pounding in black powder propellant, then delay or a clay plug with passfire. Then just carefully use a drill bit in your hand to put a hole through the clay plug and into the propellant grain making as deep a cavity as your propellant can handle. A good staring point is around 1/3 whatever ID your tube is for the OD of a drill bit.

What exactly are you wanting to do? Its best to pick a project and go for it. Smoke mix, black powder, black match fuse, fountains, then black powder rockets is a good introductory transition.

IM planning on making BP rockets ive already done kno3/sugar smoke comps

Also can anyone give me some websites on how to make fireworks and also safety procedurers

k thx... and i just got my introducty practical pyrotechnics book today yay also what would happen if u got cuaght with ingredients for blackpowder and other chemicals for simple fountains?

Depends where, how old you are, who is catching you, what their stand on amateur fireworks and rocketry is, what they are catching you with, or get through a search warrant, etc. For instance if some cop catches you with just black powder and rocket tooling and you can explain that you just make small rocket engines with it instead of buying them, he might not care, especially if he loved rocketry when he was younger. He might even wish to learn more. On the other hand if you are caught with a bunch of homemade salutes you will probably get fined and jail or community service time. Never really know.

k good points with black powder im safe.. my dad has a gun permit and i wouldnt stock pile much stuff so i guess ill just have to be careful

My 2.5 Gallon water fire extinguisher just got here today... I just filled it up and re-pressurized it to a couple psi below the normal 100psi... Holy shit. :o

BEST SUPER-SOAKER EVER. :lol:

I can hardly wait to soak--I mean show my little brother... :D

Got it for $50 + $15 S/H from Noel of PyroGear.net. He had 3 total, i don't know how many he has now. You can contact him through his email on the Passfire market page.

This semester is almost over... I have like 1 week left give or take... finals, tests, quizzes, etc... Now for just a little more procrastination and then ill work on chem HW.

Yeah mine seems to last pretty long. The stream is really strong for the first 15 seconds or so and then tapers out. But with the amount of water it puts out in those 15 seconds a small fire on a rack or cake or something would definatly be put out. Probably within like <2s really.

It wont be very fast. Should work fine for small rockets and fountains though, and it will be a little time consuming.

can i use a mortar and pestel to make BP

Yes you can. It works o.k. if you're patient and use very little BP. It should certainly be sifficient for small rockets.

Try this: make about 50 gms. of mortar-and-pestle BP. In a 4" long 1/2" I.D. tube ram about 3/4" cat litter and then ram the rest of the tube with your BP, in increments of about 3/4". A simple hardwood dowel will work as a ram. Give each layer about half a dozen good blows with a non-sparking hammer. Drill a 5/32" hole through the clay nozzle and perhaps 1/4" into the BP. Tape on a garden stake that gives a balance point that is JUST slightly tail heavy, insert a fuse, secure it with masking tape, put this in a tube pointing up, light fuse, and ENJOY. It's damned-near fool proof.

I have to warn you though....it's addictive.