APC Forum

Random Thread #1

Rooster

yep and the the best part is my dads an electrion and so i have all this and i have this Bentonite clay thats better then cat litter right?

Totally random observation...there's been some nice thunderstorms rolling through the Sydney area in the past few days. We've been up in the mountains to the west surveying some tower locations and getting soaked and freaked out by the close lightning hits. Here's a few framegrabs from a video I shot off the balcony of my apt. here in Sydney the other afternoon:

http://www.apcforum.net/files/Sequence01.jpg

http://www.apcforum.net/files/Sequence02.jpg

http://www.apcforum.net/files/Sequence04.jpg

Ditto, while I am further out west we had some nasty lighting but pretty much no rain.

Normally I like it when its damp and cold but my pot chlorate is taking ages to dry!

Nice view of the ANZAC bridge, guess you cant o much being so close to the CBD

Its just shit if you'll excuse my french that most of that water isn't in the catchment area. We are in dire need of it because of this blasted drought.

I do love falling asleep to those kickass storms though...Nothing better

Oh and I'm happy because i finally got my ring payload rockets to work on my 3/4' rockets. Pity I'm out of the tubes now though. And I'm happy because its my GF's formal tomorrow night and I'm staying at her place while her parents are out for the weekend . :lol:

And at the after party there is going to be more grog than a kid could want.

I'm going to have a kickass weekend, and i have a Bujinkan Seminar on saturday with a bunch of highly ranking black belts which will be fun, I'm hoping to get another Bokken or maybe a defensive ring, if i have the cash.

i am planning on making some inserts and one of them is go-getters i was looking on the united nuclear website but all theirs are Mg fuel does anyone have a formula and procedure (if it differs form united nuclears) for go-getters that use aluminum or MgAl fuel not Mg fuel.

EDIT: one more thing i plan on putting these and maybe salutes as insets in a round aerial shell (4") will they work if i just lay them on their side?

also i am planning on making some inserts AL93535 said "The whistles are made by rolling a 3/8" tube 2.5" long. I press a clay plug recessed into the tube about 1/4". Next I press a 3/4" colum of whistle. Flip the thing over, drill a passfire hole, fill with flash and plug." this leaves a large space in the tube will they light or should i fill the cavity with meal coated rice hulls or blackmatch?

one more if i make a salute inserts and use visco fuse how do you suggest i prime them so they light ie cutting them open using bp slurry keep in mind i have no NC lacquer.

Fire and brimstone means Sulfur deposits and charcoal..... Now all we need are nitrate beds in Heaven and I will be set! :D

For that spherical shell with the salutes, remember that the inserts are going to take up some space that doesn't have coated filler material to contribute to the burst, so the spread will be smaller than normal, especially if you have a bunch of stars too. So using a little bit more of whatever you are using to burst this size shell normally might be a good idea. Also don't over-lift like i did with my 6" SOS a lot of the effect is lost.

Edit: post 500!

I'm not to sure where to post this, but Im hoping this is the right place.

How do i put a little saying at the bottom of every post?

I know it really basic, but Im totally confused.

it is used in veline super prime as well as in some other formuals it isn't vital for much although it is a must if you have magnesium (it is used to coat it with a protective layer)

This is VERY random, but amusing none the less.

I went out deer hunting this morning. It was 15 degrees F at 6:30 this morning with 7 or 8 inches of snow on the ground, and I was hunting a nice piece or cut-over timber. I parked on the hill and went into the woods in an area that I know to typically hold a lot of deer. I worked my way down into the woods and soon came upon a set of fresh tracks. I followed these down into the hardwoods, and, ever relentless, I followed these further and further down towards the brook. After about a mile and a half and 2-1/2 hours of still-hunting the tracks, I came upon a marshy area that I've never been into before. The tracks led across the grassy marsh. Never give up the trail, I said, and doggedly went forward. The marsh-grass got steadily taller until I was shoulder-high in it. In this mess I lost the track. My logical mind said "the shortest distance between two points being a straight line", but my hunting mind said "why didn't the deer go this way?"

The reason: the deer are smarter than hst. About 50 yards into the marsh I found out what the deer know; that there is a channel that cuts through this marsh. As I stepped into a small "clearing", I suddenly noticed that the surounding area seem to rapidly rise-up about four feet. This phenomenon was due to the fact that I had dropped through an iced-over channel into four feet of water and mud. Did I mention that it was 15 degrees? O.K., by then it was 20. Goretex hunting pants and waterproof boots do a wonderful job of keeping water OUT, but, like tracer rounds, they work both ways and do a great job of keeping water IN when you use them to swim in. Did I mention that I had parked ON THE HILL, as in, up all the way? At 11:00 I made it back to the truck feeling both cold from the waist down from the swim and hot from the waist up from the exertion. I drove back to the house, dryed off and changed into dry cloths and headed back into the woods. My wife, ever the observant one, said "you know, you really are an idiot."

Sorry for the non-pyro thread, but I thought that something as dumb as this might be amusing. (I'm still cold!)

Wow... good thing you dindn't drown we would of lost a good pyro... Did you find that bloody dear?

I'm tired of my postal scale. 1g accuracy isn't nice. I want this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Extech-160252-Digital-...oQQcmdZViewItem

But I'm saving my money for a few more chems and stocking up on a bit more. Also reagent bottles. But yeah i'd like a nice new or used scale that isn't expensive that has around 2Kg capacity and .1g or .01g resolution. A pitty it seems that everything is either less than or equal to 500g at .1 or .01g resolution. OR greater than or equal to 500g at 1g resolution.

Been a while since I've even visited this site, just thought I'd see how its all going, good to recognise a few members from the good old days. I know most of you have no idea who I am but I thought I'd say hello any how. Been completely pyro clean for about 3 or 4 years now, I tell ya what though, everytime I see a shell fire up it brings back some memories, its true 'he who hath smelt the smoke is never free again'

.......My wife, ever the observant one, said "you know, you really are an idiot."

Oh god, I'm still snickering about that line. Sorry. The visual is priceless. I know a few deer hunters. And deer hunter's wives. None of them pull punches. ;)

M

I think I might be getting a hydraulic press this xmas break (out of my own money). Anywhwo I was looking around for polycarbonate sheets (for a blast sheild) and I happened to stumble upon a place that sells UHMWPE(ultra high molecular weight polyethylene). Is this stuff more durable/resilent compared to polycarbonate?

Hey blindreeper! You probably dont know me but I remember you. Nice to see you visiting here. People are still using Reeper Silver around here, so your legacy lives on. Sorry if youve explained somewhere before, but why don't you do pyro anymore?

is it possible to create metalic tail for whistle rockets without titanium? i really should get some but i nthe absence of it would aluminum or magnalium or iron work?

i have access the following meshes

-325 spherical Al

granular Al

-150-210 MgAl

3 micron dark Al

-325 mesh bright flake Al

300-325 granular iron

Nice to see you around again blind. Hope all is well. Sorry you left on rather bad circumstances. I see you on MSN from time to time and always want to see how things are going for you.

Crazyboy, all of those metals would be too fine to really produce a tail.

oskarchem - Warnings don't go away, dichromate is used as a catalyst to decompose perchlorates(thus the use in primes), and to protect Mg, as was already stated.