APC Forum

Random Thread #1

Rooster

I've always had problems getting rockets and such off of wood. I found that sealing them with a polyurethane type of sealant with some graphite over the top was more or less neccesary.

pudi, that looks nice. I wish I could make stingers or rockets like that.

Anyway, I go to my grandma's house in the summer and we almost always light I big fire and this time I would love to the start the fire like this.

singers/rockets really aren't that hard to make BTw that video was totally fake its about as realistic as this:

ok i got most of my chemicals but some are still tied up in mail service and i just want to double check something regarding veline super prime i plan on using it to prime some emerald green and ruby red stars but i have some things i want to clarify.

1. so i grind up all the chemicals into a fine powder then mix them in the following ratio:

potassium perchlorate....55

magnalium...................5

dextrin.........................4

charcoal.......................20

sawdust.......................6

iron oxide red..............5

potassium dichromate...5

2. then i take my stars and roll them in the comp this is where i get confused do i wait for my stars to dry or roll on the prime while they are wet also do i spray the stars then roll on the prime then spray like a regular star comp? after that i spray them and roll on some BP correct? sorry about all the questions but i really don't want to screw this up i already had one batch of stars not light on me and i dont want to waste chemicals.

singers/rockets really aren't that hard to make BTw that video was totally fake its about as realistic as this:

I saw that one, but it would be pretty sweet.

Random entry:

The Badgers humped their opponents yesterday. :D

Yes, and it was quite enjoyable to watch. Tickets were reasonably cheap too. I didn't make it, as I had other engagements.

The packers didn't do too shabby either today.

About the prime. I always let my stars dry first. I don't think you need to, but I just prefer to do so. I place them into a bucket and roll them around while spraying them until the surface is wet. I then add some dry comp and roll around until it all picks up, and repeat a few times until the entire surface is covered. The mix is slightly red, so it's pretty easy to tell. I then roll on a layer of green meal directly afterwards, again until everything is fully covered. They are two different colors, so it's again pretty easy to tell.

Yeah, yeah, rub it in. :P

The Packers did to us what we've done to you in the past. :P

Oh, ok, not quite. The Pack shut us out, for the first time ever, and I don't remember that we ever shut out the Pack, even at home.

So now our Vikings officially stink. They unofficially stunk before, but now it's the real deal. Looks like we won't have a sellout next Sunday, the first failure to sellout a home game in about 9 years. At least we have a pro hockey team to entertain us in the coming months. *sigh*

Got tired of firing rockets from tubes, so I made a stand that would be able to fire most sizes of rockets.

The stand is 80 cm high and aprrox. 45 cm wide. It has a spirit level attached to make it easier to give the rocket a straighter upward flight.

The feets making it stand can be folded for transportation, storage etc.

The stand can be pegged to the ground if needed.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5261/dsc01945lo8.jpg http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7835/dsc01951fw1.jpg

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/2623/dsc01947lp4.jpg http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/459/dsc01948zy4.jpg

I could go further and make it usable for firing wheels or other devices...

Thats pretty sick. I would say I want one but I would have no use for it since I have yet to make a sucessful BP rocket -_- .

i rolled some shimizu green #70 two days ago and both the dry comp and stars burned a little weird. when i looked at them they burned very washed out almost white but cast a really bice green light the same thing happened but to a much less degree with my AL's hexamine fueled blue stars. i am worried i have wasted 300g of comp on my shimizu green stars and everyone said they were really excellent stars what am i doing wrong?

i think i will have to stick with emerald green and ruby red not that i have made them but i have seen them

im not so much worried about my blue stars as i am my green ones.

The problem is that you're too close and they're over powering your retinas. They should be just fine in the air or at a distance. I've had the same problem with a lot of my stars.

A quick caution about looking at burning star comps:

Those that contain metals (and I think some that don't?) can emit VERY high levels of UV as they burn. Enough so to cause permanent retinal damage.

I forget where I read this, but it was in a respected publication.

Mumbles, perhaps you can add some additional info. I've got the flu and am in no mood to search. ;)

M

A quick caution about looking at burning star comps:

Those that contain metals (and I think some that don't?) can emit VERY high levels of UV as they burn. Enough so to cause permanent retinal damage.

I forget where I read this, but it was in a respected publication.

Mumbles, perhaps you can add some additional info. I've got the flu and am in no mood to search. ;)

M

I thought they did that but I was unsure. I'll just test my stars with my Plasma Cutting glasses; that should be suffcant protection, right.

Hello all! I havn't been around in a while, just thought I'd drop in and say hello... Been pretty busy lately what with college and all so havn't had time for much Pyro. Made a few rockets with headers a couple weeks ago.

Also joined a Rocketry Club at OSU.

And also, I just had a tattoo done that I thought you guys might appreciate! I thought the phoenix was nice touch for Pyrohawk! and the words are "One who hath smelt the smoke".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/pyr.../mytattoo-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/pyrohawk_15/General/mytattoo-1.jpg

Hey, Nice tatoo...

Hmm... I was thinking of making a detonator, so I went to the Eletrical thread and read that; "The amp's don't matter but the voltage does..."

but then again: If you don't have enough amps the longer the cable, the less power will be at the end...

Ok well I have a 9V 130Ah battery will that do?

PS: Sorry I'm not too good with eletronics.

I thought they did that but I was unsure. I'll just test my stars with my Plasma Cutting glasses; that should be suffcant protection, right.

Wearing those glasses will eliminate most of the color, I think?

Use a star gun for testing. Distance is your friend when it comes to UV emitted from comps.

IIRC, Magnesium is the worst offender. But it's not the only one.

M

talk of detonators is not allowed outside the HE section

I think he's talking about an E-match. I might be wrong though.Also, good save now no one can get in trouble.

Bytheway, I don't have a plasma cutter. I wish I did though.