APC Forum

Random Thread #1

Rooster

Ok, thanks for all of your replies, And yea I don't see the point of putting a sraw behind the motor because, it would melt as the fuse burns throgh it no? ANd could anyone tell me where I could get some rocket sticks then because I haven't really done any rockets.

Thanks

Oskar

Your kidding right?

Go to a hardware store and buy some dowel or go to a gardening center and buy some plant stakes.

In other news, i got my Greg Boyd tooling and its top shit :D

Why don't you use a metal rod planted into the ground, and stick a plastic straw onto the rocket and pass it through the rod..."

I do remember hearing about an idea someone once had to glue a ring of straws around the circumference of a motor. The theory was that the air rushing through the straws would direct the rocket and offer even less weight and drag than a stick. Report to follow.......

O.K., here's how it went. I first taped an aluminum foil skirt around the base of a 4 oz. core-burner, taped the last inch of the fuse with half a dozen wraps of electrical tape, and hot-glued 8 plastic drinking straws around the motor. I had the top of the straws about half an inch from the top of the motor, so they hung down about 6" past the nozzle. My theory was that the electrical tape would protect the straws from burning, which it did. The foil skirt however was a bust.

Having no great confidence in this contraptions ability to hold a steady course I figured that it would have it's best chance for a straight flight if it had a good long running start. I clamped a 2"I.D. 6 foot long piece of pipe to the leg of a saw horse about 6" off the ground, with the bottom of the motor just visible, lit the fuse, and ran like hell. The motor fired, the rocket took flight, cleared the muzzle of the tube, and loped along upwards in a lazy spiraling trajectory. It did fly generally upwards, then at apogee it turned sideways and floated down.

As surmised, the aluminfoil skirt was burned away, and the straws from the base of the motor on downwards were melted away. All in all it was just about what you'd expect. I see plenty of problems and no real potential reward over the easy and effective stabilizing stick. It was fun, but not anything that I plan to pursue.

Jeez this discustion of alcohol is making me sick. You people cant even figure out your common alcohols. Sad :(

Mormanman you could use PVC if you burry it clear up to the muzzle. Just dont use it free standing where PVC shards can easly fly throw the air.

Jeez this discustion of alcohol is making me sick. You people cant even figure out your common alcohols. Sad :(

Mormanman you could use PVC if you burry it clear up to the muzzle. Just dont use it free standing where PVC shards can easly fly throw the air.

What are you talking about? I didn't use pvc unless your talking about forming tubes.

Looking around for a supplier of CTAB (surfactant for plating LD) found this sweet number:

http://canadawide.ca/products/111-998.1.html

Unique spatula both scoops material and instantly weighs it. Balance with digital display is located in the easy-grip handle. The weighing range is 300.0 grams or 10.580 ounces. Readability is 0.1 gram and 0.005 ounce. Repeatability is 0.1 gram and linearity is ±0.2 gram. Three position soft-touch key in the handle tares, holds (freezes the display), and changes grams/ounces. LCD indicates low battery.

It may even be worth the 69 bucks, talk about taking the pain out of weighing stuff! Imagine filling your lift cups with one of these.

Looking around for a supplier of CTAB (surfactant for plating LD) found this sweet number:

http://canadawide.ca/products/111-998.1.html

Unique spatula both scoops material and instantly weighs it. Balance with digital display is located in the easy-grip handle. The weighing range is 300.0 grams or 10.580 ounces. Readability is 0.1 gram and 0.005 ounce. Repeatability is 0.1 gram and linearity is ±0.2 gram. Three position soft-touch key in the handle tares, holds (freezes the display), and changes grams/ounces. LCD indicates low battery.

It may even be worth the 69 bucks, talk about taking the pain out of weighing stuff! Imagine filling your lift cups with one of these.

That is the coolest thing ever. Anyone want to buy me one.

But 69 dollars is some money.

Except it now $74.50 for us in the states...Loonies are worth $1.07 now. Who would have thunk it?

yeah its cool but stupid lets say you need 50g of barium nitrate you pick some up with spatula your moving hand constantly changes the weight displayed you put it in a cup grab another spoonfull and add in your head or dump in the bucket and put it all in the spoon and hold very very still why not buy a scale for 10 bucks?

A short pyrotechnic compliation I threw together from all the shells and other stuff we shot yesterday

Removed the link - someone was beeing a jerk about it (contact me via PM for the movie, it'll be on rapidshare)

Nice shells... I guess there is too much to mention to go into sizes and compositions... Very nice display though. Well done.

Thanks, I'll pass on the "Good job" to the person who made the two :)

Psymon, just write down the times at which they go off in the movie and i'll try to answer the questions :)

69 is a lot compared to an el cheapo scale - but this is a certified analytical balance. 69 bucks is actually cheap for what it is.

qwezxc12: yeah, and just after I move up here from the states..

really liked it but i saw an awful lot of charcoal streamers in there you should try to get some more variety in star comps other than that great job.

I'm sure I'm supposed to wish the Brits here a happy something or other today ;) Hope to see some new vids.

Happy lighting!

Or could I use a white pvc or black pvc pipe for a mortar, I'm scared they will explode though.

This was what I was talking about. Not sure how it ended up two pages later. Maybe I didnt see there was two more pages of thread and thought that was recont? I dont really know how the hell it came to be.

If mormanman ever goes shooting with me he definitley won't be using any form of low density plastic. I have about 12 4" cardboard mortars and 8 3" cardboard guns.

randomness last week a commander came to our school and tried to get kids to join the navy cadet program this is one conversation that happened

commander:

as the video you just watched explained the navy cadet core offers hundreds of courses and is a great choice to improve your fitness leadership moral and it is also a great move for college any questions about the activities?

student:

do we get to shoot guns? hehe

commander:

that is a gun SAFETY course it is very brief course on weapons training and safety. You see a gun is like a car it can be safe but if it is misused it can be dangerous.

got to love it..... anyway check out my youtube account im adding to it every week. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=crazyboy0602

I can't seem to get my micro stingers right. Every time they spin a bit in the beginning, but then stops and wont take off. When I look, the stinger is stuck to the nail (which was loose in the beginning) because of the dross in the nozzle.

Pudi it could be a problem if you are using BP proportioned to standard core burner fuel. For my stingers I use my fastest 75/15/10 BP. Also a slightly smaller nail may work nicely. The only problem I run into using smaller nails, is more random angles of launch. I have never seen them get even close to ground level though so it should be alright.

I used to have that problem every so often. Try using a golf tee, since using them, I haven't had that problem.

Edit/question:

this one was never answered from a few days ago:

What exactly is a "STEVE LADUKE'S HYBRID-UNIVERSAL ROCKET KIT" Can it be used to make any kind of rocket? I don't quite understand the description. It is on the wolter tools site.

I believe it is tooling that can be used for BP, whistle, and strobe comps and performs well with all three.

Deadman, I asked if I could use pvc and everyone said know so a formed a four inch tube and loaded my shell already and am working another.