APC Forum

Random Thread #1

Rooster

Right, so, I don't know what to do, Either I spend My mony to make my 50c.c motorbike better(I'm 14) currently I can get her to 65km/h instead of the leagle limit of 50, or I spend it on chems but I think I'm gonna use it on chems.

For those of you unfortunate enough to live in North Dakota, I just saw this, and thought it might be interesting for you. It was on the PGI mailing list.

"

For those of you who are within reasonable proximity to the Fargo, ND area,

be advised that an effort is being made by a few individuals, including

myself, to form an area pyrotechnics enthusiasts club. I have submitted an

article which should appear in the next Bulletin, but I am spreading the

word via any means available. My vision is that an area club would welcome

all types and disciplines of people interested in fireworks. This would

include those who enjoy watching a quality fireworks display all the way up

to experienced shell builders and aspiring Grand Masters. Feel free to

contact me via email if you think you would like to be a part of this

exiting project. We hope to have our first organizational meeting sometime

in January of 08.

Do not sit back and expect this to happen without your help. If you live in

the area, get involved and be a part of it!

Hans Miller

Fargo, ND

mia@702com.net"

a few questions:

1. what are the dimensions of a 1LB rocket

2. how much could a 1LB whistle rocket lift?

3. in the very likely event a 1LB whistle rocket could lift 300g what is the minimum size whistle rocket that could and what are its dimensions.

i recently went to the desert where i set off alot of things including my first aerial shells a 4" starmine two whistle rockets and more i hope to post videos soon.

Nice stuff...I agree with mumbles, the weak break on the glitter looked nice. If you can make an intentional waterfall D1 shell, that would be great to share!

I wonder how a 4 or 6in shell made like a palm (top half inert) would look if the bottom hemi was filled with D1. I mean literally filled and the space between the stars filled with 3fa with a small whistle or flash break charge...dense waterfall?

Also nice to see another working CuO/Al target...sure sounded like a .22 you were shooting with.

Mumbles, sounds good! I started learning HTML by hand waaay back in notepad and the only thing i do differently now is i use a editor than has text highlighting and smart tabbing to make it a little bit easier to read. I use Crimson Editor. Its small and can be used with any programming language for which a syntax file has been made to work with it. There are hundreds available, not that the average programmer would need any more than about 5 (HTML, CSS, PHP, C/C++, Java for example other common ones being like visual basic, javascript, python, etc). And for languages that need the files to be compiled, you can configure a little list of commands with links straight to the programs you want to use for compiling and viewing and such. And then just pull down the menu and compile blank to do it. It might have an FTP client built in too... can't remember...

My room is very cold.

I need the warmth of a woman and beer.

Maybe just the beer.

Depends.

Here’s a sort vid of a display I involved in. I was firing the electronics. Sadly I didn’t get the 8” shell as I didn’t know when it was being fired and btw it had a dud fuse on it so it fired straight away when it was getting lit. Missed the final as well as I need to hand to fire it. Hope you enjoy.

Video

Crazyboy,

A 1lb black powder rocket is 3/4" ID x 7.5" long, generally with a 1/8" wall. It seems you're more interested in whistles though, and the dimensions depend on their design (cored, end burner, nozzled, etc)

Well, BP 1lb rockets can lift 300g, so I would assume whistle would be able to with ease. I wouldn't go much lower than 8oz for 300g (presumably a 3" shell). I'd say a 1lb whistle rocket could take around 500g. Why not just make some whistle rockets with dummy headers on them? It's the only way to know for sure. One person's whistle fuel will not preform the same as another's.

Sure it'd work, but theres no need to use any electricity. Theres no need to electro-synth Cu. Theres this thing called the activity series. It is a table of reduction values. The higher on the table, the more reductive it is. So, if one metal is higher than another, it will be able to displace said lower metal from it's soluble salt.

There is a table posted in the pyro workshop thread I do believe in the chemistry section. You will see that copper is very low. Iron nails or Aluminum foil would make excellent choices to displace copper sulfate. I'd suggest against the chloride, as said iron and aluminum chloride salts will hydrolyse into insoluble oxides and hydroxides.

Sure it'd work, but theres no need to use any electricity. Theres no need to electro-synth Cu. Theres this thing called the activity series. It is a table of reduction values. The higher on the table, the more reductive it is. So, if one metal is higher than another, it will be able to displace said lower metal from it's soluble salt.

There is a table posted in the pyro workshop thread I do believe in the chemistry section. You will see that copper is very low. Iron nails or Aluminum foil would make excellent choices to displace copper sulfate. I'd suggest against the chloride, as said iron and aluminum chloride salts will hydrolyse into insoluble oxides and hydroxides.

Well, I'm sorry but I did a wikipedia search and I was wrong it said gold could be oxidize or Cu couldn't.

BTW, what other way would I oxidize it with out electricity? I don't understand.

Must you be so cryptic?

Did you guys hear about that pyro exploding himself?So it was a 15 year old kid, he was home alone and he well had made a 400g batch of TCAP...And during the night he invited his friends over and they went to make it go off he fused the thing, the fuse burned but just at the entry to the tube it was still scolding he went up to the device didn't wait a couple of hours before approching it and I think you know the rest...

PS his friend is still alive...

Read this on the roguesi forum.

Yeah that would be “phone” I believe, he’s a good example of why not to make large amounts of TCAP.

Here's a random one. I'm currently working in Australia for the next few weeks and I sitting on the balcony of the serviced apartment I'm staying in off of Hyde Park on Kent St in Sydney, and I see a pretty nice fireworks show going off in the distance to the southwest. I just looked on a map and I'd guess it was in Sydney Park. Victoria Park is in the right direction, but seemed too close.

The show lasted ~20 minutes, I'd guess and had a good variety of stuff, including a series of brilliant colored crossettes, some nice color star / metal comet breaks and some great strobe stars, one of which looked like red glitter it was so fine.

Wish I'd known about it before-hand so I could actually watch it in person, rather than through my 10x binocs.

If there are any board members (of drinking age, that is) in town, I'd be happy to stand you a pint or three if you're around...I'll be in Sydney probably through next weekend, then I'll be in Melbourne for another 1-2 weeks. PM me and let me know.

Sorry, I didn't bring any KPerc in my suitcase.

Did you guys hear about that pyro exploding himself?So it was a 15 year old kid, he was home alone and he well had made a 400g batch of TCAP...And during the night he invited his friends over and they went to make it go off he fused the thing, the fuse burned but just at the entry to the tube it was still scolding he went up to the device didn't wait a couple of hours before approching it and I think you know the rest...

PS his friend is still alive...

Read this on the roguesi forum.

Was that the kid who posted photos his big piles of AP, everyone called bullshit until a few months later when someone posted the news report where he turned himself into pink mist.

He was warned and fucked up good.

EDIT: Cant find the photo but he had a kilo or two drying on a few sheets of newspaper on his living room floor.

I was at walgreens yesterday, reading labels as usual when I came to Mildew Zone. Apparently it contains 91% paraformaldehyde. I looked it up online and it says 95%, but the difference doesn't matter.

I'll assume that this is the real deal so 1) can anyone here confirm and 2) if confirmed anyone interested should stock up.

Now I just need a source of ethanoic anhydride and I'll be set. Leads anyone?

Yes, but... Discussion of primary explosives doesn't belong here.

I made a little up-to-six cue extension for my firing system. Off one cue on the system i can set off 6 e-matches at once. Only at once. I used a 4 speaker push tab connecting thinger a small project box, and some solder and e-match leads. Should be excellent for a bunch of mines. A completely spur of the moment project, but yeah. I could also use it with squibs to simulate a buckshot spread... though i was under the impression they have about 9 pellets.

Becareful BigBang, generally when gems like that are found its 91% of the active ingredients and not considering the inerts. However ill have to try to remember to check this out sometime. Hopefully its without that annoying blue dye. I would be VERY happy.

God I HATE that dye. Ruins so many good chems.

It reads 9% inerts (5% online). I think it might just be a gem. I need to pull some strings on that acetic anhydride if it's usable.

Just a little ethanoic anhydride huh? That shouldn't be hard to source :) Time for a ketene lamp.

Just out of curiosity, are you focusing on the 6 or 8 member component? I suggest 8.

Here's a random one. I'm currently working in Australia for the next few weeks and I sitting on the balcony of the serviced apartment I'm staying in off of Hyde Park on Kent St in Sydney, and I see a pretty nice fireworks show going off in the distance to the southwest. I just looked on a map and I'd guess it was in Sydney Park. Victoria Park is in the right direction, but seemed too close.

The show lasted ~20 minutes, I'd guess and had a good variety of stuff, including a series of brilliant colored crossettes, some nice color star / metal comet breaks and some great strobe stars, one of which looked like red glitter it was so fine.

Wish I'd known about it before-hand so I could actually watch it in person, rather than through my 10x binocs.

If there are any board members (of drinking age, that is) in town, I'd be happy to stand you a pint or three if you're around...I'll be in Sydney probably through next weekend, then I'll be in Melbourne for another 1-2 weeks. PM me and let me know.

Sorry, I didn't bring any KPerc in my suitcase.

Aww...I hate being underage.

Being a kid really sucks. Although i love it because i don't have much of the responsibility that many people have.

Pity...I would've traveled down and everything, I have my GF's formal so i would've been down anyway, just cos I'm young doesn't stop me drinking :D

You could've showed me some cool stuff using my Chems...

I'll give you some friendly advice; stay away from Town hall, Lads and Muzza's. Or visit them if you want to lose your belongings...I've had some bad experiences with them.

Actually mumbles, while i would love to test a bit of the para for both the cyclotri and cyclotetra... as well as pentaerythritol... I'm in great need of a good bit of formaldehyde... and paraformaldehyde is supposed to be excellent for just that.

Ketene... seemingly most rewarding, but most dangerous too. I'll think about it again when my furnace is going. Would mostly just need alot of steel pipe... make alot of scrubbing vessels... get a gas mask... heh.

Jammed with a friend most of today. Shared some movies. Good times.

Speaking of formaldehyde, I found a OTC source of 37% in Melbourne. This place is full of interesting chemicals, anyone want some uranyl nitrate or mercury chloride :)

PM me :D