APC Forum

Random Thread #1

Rooster

Yes, I was about to post the same.

:(

I always admired him.

I will never forget him.

Apparently he only lived to around 37 and died of heart complications.

I and many others had always thought of him as an immortal of the forums. I only wish that I had spent more time at RogueSci among him so that I might have known that much more of what he was.

Tentacles, if one were making a strontium/aluminum alloy, any strontium oxide forming from the atmosphere would be reduced to strontium metal and aluminum oxide slag that generally floats on top of the melt. (Especially since Sr/Al should be denser than normal Al too) One could probably even make a Sr/Al alloy by starting with strontium carbonate... heating it to extremely high temperatures to decompose the carbonate to oxide, then adding small amounts of big chunks of aluminum and allowing the SrO to react with it... Then adding more Al and stirring the melt... After a while the Al/Sr should be covered with Al2O3/Al slag...

6061 Al and A58A Mg alloys are:

6061 Al:

Silicon minimum 0.4%, maximum 0.8% by weight

Iron no minimum, maximum 0.7%

Copper minimum 0.15%, maximum 0.40%

Manganese no minimum, maximum 0.15%

Magnesium minimum 0.8%, maximum 1.2%

Chromium minimum 0.04%, maximum 0.35%

Zinc no minimum, maximum 0.25%

Titanium no minimum, maximum 0.15%

Other elements no more than 0.05% each, 0.15% total

Remainder Aluminum

-Via wikipedia

A58A Mg:

Silicon 0.19%

Copper 0.20%

Manganese 0.09%

Magnesium 92.78%

Nickel 0.02%

Zinc 1.16%

Aluminum 5.37%

Iron 0.0218%

Tin 0.01%

Cadmium 0.02%

Tin 0.07%

Zirconium 0.02%

-via seller on ebay

The other metals/elements are in pretty small amounts in both cases, and in addition, when alloying with something like Sr derived from SrCO3/SrO... The melt would be slightly diluted since the ceramic chemical is pretty damn pure and the resultant Sr wouldn't really have other metals with it. It would be reactive yes, but how reactive is greatly dependent on the ratio. It might be very hard to work with. Or it might not be. I'm sure some data on Sr/Al at different ratios is available somewhere... There is possibly information on other alloys like Ba/Mg available too.

Guest Mark_the_pyro
Yeah, I was about to post the exact same thing regarding NBK. As a moderator at Roguesci, I am honored to have talked to him a fair amount. I thought it would have been nice if we could see a biography of him, but not even other admin or mods knew his real identity. I have too much to say about the man, but I'll just say he was a hell of a guy, and will very much so be missed.

Just a reminder I don't know if anyone saw my post but I have some 3" cardboard mortars if anyone wants them name your price. Money order only, sorry no paypal.

i really want a hydraulic press but im not sure what to get i want to buy one with the frame and everything i could make my own but i would really prefer to buy it. would this press setup be acceptable for all pyro uses? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...itemnumber=4711

if not which one would you suggest? also do i need to get any gauges or limiters to press things or do they come with or/they aren't necessary if they are needed where would i get them?

That press is good up to 4lb whistle rockets (1.25" ID), and 6lb Blackpowder rockets. Those are really pushing the boundaries though, and assuming you get exactly 12000lb of force out of it. This is from a strictly theoretical point of view. I probably wouldn't go past 1" whistles or 1.25" BP. It doesn't take into account tooling sizes or frame quality. Purchase of a stronger jack would all that would be needed to upgrade to the bigger rockets. I'd personally look into 20 ton in the future should you want to go big. It would allow you to easily press ANYTHING you wanted up to and including 3" ID gerbs and the biggest comets you can think of. 6" comets at the borderline max (including a 3/4" core).

First and foremost, for any decent sized rocket you will probably want to reinforce the frame. Dan Creagan or Cplmac could help. You'll also want a blast shield. A gauge is really quite neccesary for consistency, but not 100% required. You'll either have to tap the jack itself (a bit beyond my skill set at the moment), or purchase a pre-made jack, such as from Wolter. I believe the wolter guage runs around $70, but will last longer than the press.

There are many upgrades that can be made. For speed it's common to go completely powered. This will require a new jack, and some plumbing most likely. From what I've heard, it will run you a few hundred bucks to get it all set up and running assuming you don't find some great deals.

I found a jack with a rod you stick in and rotate to work the hydraulic action, took me about 10 seconds to figure out that I could stick the thing in a drill and hey presto, a fully automatic press :D

Most of the screw jacks I've used are relatively weak. They are fairly standard to come with cars in the US at least. Can lift a car, but not something capable of doing rockets. You may also need to use your arms on the jack. Generally you'll be able to produce more torque than most drills, which is what will be needed to achieve higher pressures.

Well, mumbles, there are two kinds of screw jacks. Some come stock and some are like bottle jacks. There might be more but I dought it. Its just you can't be sure one what he's talking about. Just saying.

i need some help. i plan on making a double voice cracker like this:

http://www.creagan.net/fireworks/doublevoice1.jpg

i plan on making it about 1/2" ID i will lift it with 3-5 grams of lift but i have some questions:

1. how long should it be?

2. how long should the clay plug be i am using chinese 1/8" visco. i think

I have a link here that you might find usefull, they make these in the video but they are not called double voice crackers they are called "double explosions" or heaven and earth" crackers. The video is pretty old but you may find it interesting any way. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKe2h-bT3QY

The variable transformer cometh!

& COPAE cometh!

And best (girl) friend cometh backeth fromith collegeith!

Merry xmas to myself!

well you say "back then" but the video is obviously inc color so its pretty apparent it isn't ancient. cool video although im surprised they blatantly mixed sulfur and potassium chlorate.

I enjoyed the video and I thought to little girl toward the end was really funny jumping up and down.

Nice old video. I wonder if Roy Feathers has seen it, he had a class on hand rolling string crimped rockets and improvised time fuse that was pretty damn good at the 2007 PGI convention. Crazy old guy. He had drinking water in a very well washed out bleach container. I only wish i had taken a pic of him drinking from it.

Hey I just read for NBK's death.. :( sad thing really, is anyone planing on doing a salute kind of thing? He was a man of great nollige (srry for the spelling)

I'm sorry but I don't know who NBK is. He sounds awsome though just from the remarks of his death.

Well, I don't think you would have liked him should you have encountered him. I can say with full confidence you probably would have been banned by him within your first 5 posts on roguesci.

Me and NBK had a few issues (grammar and some shit about lower case 'i's) but after we solved that issue we never had any other problems.

The only people who had issues were k3wls and idiots, once you proved you were none of the above you were fine :)

Interesting man with some interesting views on life ;)

I have a question for a slow and bright burning mixture. Something with the speed of a match. So I have KNO3 and aluminium now, and I heard that this flash is slow. Does the sulfur increase the speed, if so I will make sulfurless flash ? Thanks.

That flash is relativistically slow compared to say 70:30 Perc:Al. The composition will still burn very fast. What kind of effect are you going for?

Thanks Blue I hope you have a merry christmas.

As for NBK I never posted anything on E&W because I never found anything useful tp put on it...

I too never joined E&W because i never had any thing to contribute that hadn't already been posted, i just lerked around from time to time soaking up information. the one good thing about this is atleast part of NBK's knowledge is in the forum so it's not like it's all gone forever. to NBK, the toughest mod that ever was, may he never be forgotten. -_-