APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

There is not much I will not eat but goose and duck is an "aquired" taste. Little fishy for my likes but my hunting buddy eats all I can give him. Deer and wild hog............ whole different story!

Goose is, but duck isn't at all in my experience. Just tastes like really good tender chicken or turkey. It's all in how it's prepared though.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is not much I will not eat but goose and duck is an "aquired" taste. Little fishy for my likes but my hunting buddy eats all I can give him. Deer and wild hog............ whole different story!

in very cold weather around Lakes ducks will eat shad killed by low water temps and aren't fit to eat.

A Mallard or Black Duck that's been feeding in cornfeilds are hard to beat.

Canada Geese are grazers and rarely eat anything that would give them a bad flavor, "sky Carp" (snow geese) are a different story

They let us go to Arkansas and kill the "sky carp" by the hundreds! No limits, no plug! I went once and it was fun. Buddy of mine makes jerky out of it........ guess I may one day be that hungry lol.

Just bought a pair of DIY 2*30W fullrange speakers for very cheap. They sound quite good! :D

But seeing now how much good capacitors cost, it makes me want to go to the deppresion thread.

Edited by 50AE

• 1 month later...

My first introduction to valve sound! This baby sounds so nice for its money! It's a DIY class A hybrid tube + mosfet headphone amp, assembled for about 20$. Never heard valve sound before, it's so cool.

Don't mind the box, it's going to be cleaned up and painted. ;) I still have to add a PSU jack. The potentiometer rotate is very ugly too.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/1094/picture430z.th.jpg

Edited by 50AE

• 2 weeks later...

just picked up a grab box from craigslist of assorted wood turning items!

had everything i was missing to make my pens! tooling and all.

off to home depot to build a dust collection system :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
Made my girlfriend a mini fireworks show for her 18th birthday that ended in a red heart (my first lancework piece) it all went well!

• 2 weeks later...

The law has been signed, fireworks will be legal in Michigan on January 1st! Not only does that mean consumer fireworks, but unless the township governments create their own restrictions on professional fireworks, those of us who build here without a license will be able to fire what they built on their own property, legally. At a minimum it will make home built items stand out less because everyone will be able to shoot consumer fireworks.

Edit: On second thought, this deserves its own thread.

Edited by NightHawkInLight

• 3 weeks later...

Make a cake for my wife, for no special reason at all .biggrin2.gif It made her happy, so it counts in this thread.

2011-12-30_23-00-03_596.jpg

Make a cake for my wife, for no special reason at all .biggrin2.gif It made her happy, so it counts in this thread.

2011-12-30_23-00-03_596.jpg

No special reason huh?

Nothing expected, hoped for in return? :)

Drove out to Moapa today to look for the spade we left there after using it to bury the mortars, and much to my surprise it was still there stuck in the ground where we left it. Since the shoot site is apparently never cleaned up and it's not possible to take two paces without stepping on a discarded tube, I did my bit to clean up by collecting a dozen or so fiberglass mortars in good condition to make a couple of racks.

oh good you got the spade, sorry for leaving it out there unsure2.gif haha vince wanted to take home a few dozen fiberglass mortars :D

No special reason huh?

Nothing expected, hoped for in return? :)

I like to think that nice people have nice things happen to them.

50AE,

I had the good pleasure of watching a couple Bowl games at a friends house. The sound system was insane! It also didn't hurt that we wer'e watching the games on an eight foot wide HD projection screen B)

I was sitting next to one of the Bass speakers and it literally made my body vibrate!

I went home and suffered severe shrinkage looking at my little TV with built in speakers :(

I really need to improve my audio/video experience at home.

Everyone has his own criteria about audio. I'm still young and have lots to learn ahead, but my criteria for great sound is:

-It shouldn't fatigue your ears, even at high volumes. You should feel like you can listen to it with hours.

-You must not feel where it comes from, but a 3D sound. Especially bass. If you can hear where the bass comes from, the acoustics are shit as hell.

-Instruments spacing and notes distinction is a minimum. If you can't hear bass guitar alone for example, the acoustics are very shit.

-The sound must be dynamic. You should be able to hear the most silent parts of the track, while your system must be capable to reproduce the loudest without distorting. This is especially hard for classical music, which needs lots of musical power.

-AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, the music must penetrate inside you. You must feel like the band plays infront of you. This is the main goal in Hi-Fi.

Some useful info for you guys

1. The most of the commercial stuff is shit. Especially the so called "surround cheapos" for home cinema, like logitech Z500 and shit, which are mostly satellite speakers with a subwoofer and are very low end. For true high end speakers, one must spend very much.

2. There is an alternative, there comes the "Do it yourself". For 400$ , some good wood working skills, time and use of tools, you can assemble speakers that can sound better than 5k $ worth and will kick most asses of the market.

3. While the quality of the speaker is very important, many folks underestimate other sources. Also much important are room acoustics, they represent at least 30-40% of the audio quality your ears will listen to. The audio source and transport comes into play as well. If you want to play using your onboard shitty realtek, reading mp3s, forget about it. There comes buying/building a good DAC, then valve based preamp and amp, good interconnect tables and so on.

Hi-fi can be very expensive and is not for everyone. It's mostly for people that have a very special feeling about music.

It's a sensitive topic. Guys who don't have this feeling usually think hi-fism as stupid, useless and crazy,

Edited by 50AE

50AE,

You may have much to learn but you're light years beyond where I'll ever be.

I have friends that play electric guitar and swear by old tube amps.

I can't tell the difference.

Tubes come into play when the rest of the equipment "deserves" them. Amplifying a signal for a pair of shit speakers with tubes is a waste of money.

They are truly unique for electric guitars, mostly because of their soft distortion characteristic. Transistors sharp clip, while tubes do it in a soft, gentle to the ear way. As you maybe know, an electric guitar is purposely driven into distortion.

http://www.co-bw.com/Guitar%20Files/Guitar%20Amplifiers%20-%20Overdrive%20&%20Distortion_files/f_clip.gif

Edited by 50AE

Hi-fi can be very expensive and is not for everyone. It's mostly for people that have a very special feeling about music.

It's a sensitive topic. Guys who don't have this feeling usually think hi-fism as stupid, useless and crazy,

This is true with all hobbies. There's people I work with who think I'm nuts for building a mountain bike that I have over $1000 in, NOT counting replacement parts after crashes and normal wear and tear; when in their mind you can get a perfectly acceptable bike for $100 at Wal-Mart. At the same time, these guys don't hesitate to spend $1000 on the handgun they're lusting over, all the necessary reloading supplies to so they can go to the range and shoot several hundred rounds every weekend.

I like the sound of an electric guitar through a high quality tube amp better than a solid state one. They are pricey and an inexpensive solid state amp sounds better than a tube amp in the same price range.

Edited by nater

If going into tubes, one must not think cheap. One component could make the whole amp sound like a solid state one or worse. Good low power DIY kits cost begin from 200 USD including the casing in my opinion. The most important parts are the tubes themselves and the output transformers. It doesn't mean the power supply must be ignored. An amplifier is always good as its power supply. Edited by 50AE

In my opinion, if you don't have an exact tone in mind that you're looking for from your guitar (and I mean EXACT), you don't need a tube amp yet. Some of the solid states, particularly the older model Peavey amps sound excellent. I think by the time anyone needs a tube amp they will already know which one they want and why just by having heard them in the past. If you can't hear for yourself why you want a particular amp, don't buy it. The most important thing about guitar is sounding good to yourself.

In other news, I've invented a ballistic knife out of the most unlikely of materials, and it turned out better than expected. I'm pretty excited to get a video published, but I want to make a video regarding the shell cutaways I've been working on first. Those are going very well so far also.