APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

I'm going with a few friends of mine to help out some missionaries down there. We're probably building a house or two, as that's usually been the project in past trips. You never know though. You have to be willing to take things as they come in third world countries. Holding to a solid plan is low priority for the locals. We're just going to help out however we can.

I've always had a jaded view of missionary work. You're going down there to provide free labor, which takes a job from the local carpenters, and possibly spreading a message of *your* religion. Granted, you get a vacation and some photos with the "underprivileged". Blech.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've always had a jaded view of missionary work. You're going down there to provide free labor, which takes a job from the local carpenters, and possibly spreading a message of *your* religion. Granted, you get a vacation and some photos with the "underprivileged". Blech.

Frank, obviously you have no idea what you are talking about because if you did then you would understand that proselytization is not the point. You have no idea how many people the churches find work for, how many hours are donated and how much money is given to the communities. This is not about a "soul harvest", its about teaching people how to get clean water, first aid, building solid shelters and schools. I cant tell you the last time we worked on a church or "Bible thumped" any adults.

There are no jobs in most of these places, there is no opportunity, we go in the name of love, not the cynicism and apathy that you did a great job showing in your post.

Great job NHIL, let your heart lead you!

-dag

I understand your point of view, and I suppose in many cases people from the States go on a mission trip with a vacation in the back of their mind. Those type of people may even be the majority, but I don't believe they are at all representative of what my 'religion' is. More likely they are simply those who grew up in church or in a family that prayed at dinner - For them the name Jesus is simply a part of their upbringing but they really don't think more than 5 minutes a year about what they believe. They certainly don't actually care about following him or living in service to others rather than themselves as he taught.

That's not how it should be however, and I can assure you that is not how it is for myself or the majority of the others I typically travel with. In fact missions one of the most draining and physically miserable experiences I've gone through, I certainly don't do it for a vacation. While it is often true that more work could be done by the locals had the money spent on the trip been sent down, it is of far greater value to encourage the permanent missionaries who provide greater impact on improvement to the economy via their educational work and personal businesses than a single check ever could. It is of great cost for them to be living there compared to having a comfortable life in the States, and it is extremely draining to have little contact from people that they are not constantly serving. As Americans we're hardwired to think that the most direct way is the one that's going to work the best. It's hard to understand how that may not be so when dealing with a third world culture until you've experienced it for yourself. It's honestly very frustrating in a lot of ways, but you can't get very far until you start going with the culture rather than trying to make it function like the US.

I understand the bad taste in your mouth, in fact it's probably even stronger in mine. There are millions of people who call themselves Christians who don't give a damn about anyone but themselves, and that is the most disgusting thing in the world to me. True Christianity is simply trying to be like Jesus, who did nothing in service of himself, and had love for every individual he came across. How that simplicity has been twisted for personal gain both in the past and the present sickens me.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I just popped in here to express a little happiness for my hundreth post and I'm stepping into a hot one!

I'll pile on a little bit in that my Brother and I went on a mission to Haiti about 25 years ago to help build a church in a remote mountain village. We weren't stealing jobs, there were no jobs. We gave some of them jobs and built a new school/ church for them. Prior to that their school was a tin roof held up with some sticks. And no, we didn't have time for any preaching. It has mostly just hot, hard work. It's an experience I will never forget. We saw Some of the luckier Government paid workers knee deep shoveling sludge out of open sewers for less than a $1 a day. The level of poverty was staggering. There is so much I could tell but you really have to see it to believe it.

I just wanted to add a list of items that ALL of you will eventually understand if you live long enough. Us old guys live this stuff every day. Enjoy! ;)

1. I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear

your computer history if you die.

2. Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you

realize you're wrong.

3. I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was

younger.

4. There is great need for a sarcasm font.

5. How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

6. Was learning cursive really necessary?

7. Map Quest really needs to start their directions on # 5. I'm pretty

sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.

8. Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the

person died.

9. I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired.

10. Bad decisions make good stories.

11. You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work

when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for

the rest of the day.

12. Can we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after Blue Ray? I

don't want to have to restart my collection...again.

13. I'm always slightly terrified when I exit out of Word and it asks me

if I want to save any changes to my ten-page technical report that I

swear I did not make any changes to.

14. I keep some people's phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to

answer when they call.

15. I think the freezer deserves a light as well.

16. I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or

Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lite than Kay.

17. I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

18. I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and

hunger.

19. How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod

and smile because you still didn't hear or understand a word they said?

20. I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up

to prevent a jerk from cutting in at the front. Stay strong, brothers

and sisters!

21. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get

dirty, and you can wear them forever..

22. Sometimes I'll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still

not know what time it is.

23. Even under ideal conditions people have trouble locating their car

keys in a pocket, finding their cell phone, and Pinning the Tail on the

Donkey - but I'd bet everyone can find and push the snooze button from 3

feet away, in about 1.7 seconds, eyes closed, first time, every time.

24. People who forward e-mail without deleting the tons of previous

recipients should be shot and then tarred and feathered.

25. The first testicular guard, the "Cup," was used in Hockey in 1874

and the first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took 100 years

for men to realize that their brain is also important. Ladies quit

Laughing!

I just wanted to add a list of items that ALL of you will eventually understand if you live long enough. Us old guys live this stuff every day. Enjoy! ;)

1. I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear

your computer history if you die.

2. Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you

realize you're wrong.

3. I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was

younger.

4. There is great need for a sarcasm font.

5. How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

6. Was learning cursive really necessary?

7. Map Quest really needs to start their directions on # 5. I'm pretty

sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.

8. Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the

person died.

9. I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired.

10. Bad decisions make good stories.

11. You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work

when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for

the rest of the day.

12. Can we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after Blue Ray? I

don't want to have to restart my collection...again.

13. I'm always slightly terrified when I exit out of Word and it asks me

if I want to save any changes to my ten-page technical report that I

swear I did not make any changes to.

14. I keep some people's phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to

answer when they call.

15. I think the freezer deserves a light as well.

16. I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or

Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lite than Kay.

17. I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

18. I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and

hunger.

19. How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod

and smile because you still didn't hear or understand a word they said?

20. I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up

to prevent a jerk from cutting in at the front. Stay strong, brothers

and sisters!

21. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get

dirty, and you can wear them forever..

22. Sometimes I'll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still

not know what time it is.

23. Even under ideal conditions people have trouble locating their car

keys in a pocket, finding their cell phone, and Pinning the Tail on the

Donkey - but I'd bet everyone can find and push the snooze button from 3

feet away, in about 1.7 seconds, eyes closed, first time, every time.

24. People who forward e-mail without deleting the tons of previous

recipients should be shot and then tarred and feathered.

25. The first testicular guard, the "Cup," was used in Hockey in 1874

and the first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took 100 years

for men to realize that their brain is also important. Ladies quit

Laughing!

other than 23 I TOTALLY agree and I only dont agree with 23 beacuse phone gose in the right pocket along with wallet (to prevent damge to either) massive bulk of keys and other usefull cant live without such as reusable match and keying light (all attactched to keying) go in the left pocket skrepnel gose in the left but is dumped as soon as I get home or if I remeber when I reach my car gold coins are only ever added before leaving home if Im poor silver remains in my room as the really poor stash

I would like to add a few of my own truths to the list.

1. A menopausal wife will cut your heating bill in half as well as your sanity.

2. Wisdom comes on slowly but stupid is fast like a hot kiss on the end of a wet fist, SMACK!!!

3. All girls list their height in fractions, never reveal their weight and fib about their age until they're 21. After 30, they flat out lie.

4. Life is short, do it all but don't sacrifice your morals. If your reputation is already shot, do as you please

5. Little is worth arguing about, much is worth dying for.

6. I put off having kids till I was older but want Grandkids Immediately.

7. My Mother is a Saint. Looking back I realize she always was.

8. A good Church will become your family.

9. I wish I had more kids.

10. The money from overtime brings no happiness compared to time with family and friends. Or as the saying goes "no man lies on his dying bed and wishes he had spent more time at the office".

11. I don't argue with the wife over spending money on the fun things in life. I just spend the money and ignore her rant later. On the flip side, I never argue if she wants to spend money on hairdos and pedicures; she deserves it.

12. Never underestimate the therapeutic value a couple good Dogs. And I don't mean those stupid little ankle biting yappers.

13. There comes a time in a Man's life when you realize you are likely past the halfway point and sadly have to give up a few hobbies to concentrate on the ones that bring the most enjoyment. I enjoy things that go fast or go bang.

14. I regret every gun I ever sold.

15. Guns are the only earthly possession you can take to Heaven. I'm going to like Heaven.

Nice lists guys! Dagabu, my favorite ones are 1, 10 and 11

KFF, 10, 11 and 12

• 3 weeks later...
I have reservations for sailing on Lake Michigan tomorrow on a "tall" ship. It is a 2 hour ride on a sail boat to watch fireworks and hang out with pirates wielding live cannons. Can't wait to smell that smoke!

I have reservations for sailing on Lake Michigan tomorrow on a "tall" ship. It is a 2 hour ride on a sail boat to watch fireworks and hang out with pirates wielding live cannons. Can't wait to smell that smoke!

I am officially jealous! Way to go Mark, have the time of your life!

-dag

I have reservations for sailing on Lake Michigan tomorrow on a "tall" ship

Three things:

1. What port did you sail from

2. The mere mention of the cannons got me mentally salivating

3. How did it go?

Well, it turned out to be a bust. The transmission on the"Windy" broke so the event was canceled. They tried to get another ship from their fleet known as the "Red Witch" but that did not happen either. They did fire cannons and muskets from shore though. I talked to a guy named Phil from somewhere around Lansing about black powder. Everyone I talked to was using Goex in several grades mainly 2fg. Here are a couple of links, one of the event and one for the ships. The fleet is based in Chicago at the Navy Pier and the event was in Port Washington, Wi. I live about a half hour from Port. My wife and I are thinking about going to Chicago later this year to jump on board there. I watched this guy bring his 50 footer into the marina from Milwaukee. After he parked I said to him "Nice" and he proudly said "Thank You" Then I replied "I think you misunderstood me. I meant the way you parked the boat." We both laughed!

http://www.tallshipadventuresofchicago.com/

http://www.portpiratefestival.com/

Mark

Too bad it didn't work out. Thanks for the link about the festival. I'm almost due east of Port Washington. Maybe next year I can convince my buddy to make a laketrip. Load a few coolers and my garrison cannon on to his Donzi. We could swoop in like Somali Pirates. Hold you for ransom until your wife turns over your ballmill/star roller. Yarghhhhh Edited by OneEyeCharlie

• 2 weeks later...

I just tested my Ba(ClO3)2 in the following formula I made myself:

60 Ba(ClO3)2

20 Ba(NO3)2

6 Shellac

4 Red gum

5 Dextrin

Never seen a green so deep before! It was really worth making my barium chlorate.

I just tested my Ba(ClO3)2 in the following formula I made myself:

60 Ba(ClO3)2

20 Ba(NO3)2

6 Shellac

4 Red gum

5 Dextrin

Never seen a green so deep before! It was really worth making my barium chlorate.

Hmm where did that formula come from ? (Im wondering why the aditional nitrate and no extra chlorine donor and why shelac redgum and dextrin)

Its great that you have electrolysis working for you I got some barium chlorate recently the the greens it produces so easily are remarkable

The additional nitrate is just bulking and cheapening the mix.

There's no need for extra chlorine donor, the chlorate has enough of it already. Check most of the Ba chlorate greens, they don't have any and I don't think more chlorine is going to improve the mix.

Shellac produces a better collor with chlorates and I add it because of availability issue. Can't find any red gum here, but I got plenty of shellac.

With shellac only, the mix will be very slow, so the red gum plays its part.

Oxygen balance is done by myself.

Dextrin - binder of course.

cool barium chlorate has enough chlorine for itself but no extra to donate to the Barium in the nitrate have you thought of adding some chlorine donor to see if it improves the colour ?

I haven't experimented much with barium chlorate. However nearly all of the formulas I have and have been recommended to me that utilize barium nitrate also utilize potassium chlorate. I've been told this is both to increase the burn speed, and get more color out of the barium nitrate. In theory barium chlorate has enough chlorine for itself and a bit more than an equal amount of barium nitrate, but some excess never hurts. It probably wouldn't hurt with the burn speed either.

The first two look ok, until you see the barium chlorate green! Then they look feeble and pale by comparison.

That's a really nice green! I don't plan on ever using barium chlorate, but what a difference.

I have a batch drying now, except this time I used 20% potassium perchlorate instead of barium nitrate after having some ignition problems with the first batch. The color seems to be just as good.