APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

Thanks for the honest information. I'm still debating whether I can justify the cost when I could just take a blueprint to a local machinist, but I have reasons for wanting metal cutting machinery outside of building rockets. I guess I'm looking for an all-in-one setup that I can use with harder metals. I guess I should learn to be patient.

Bonny, mind if I PM with a couple of questions? It's nice to meet you, and thanks for the welcome! The Canadian Fireworks Association seems to be a little confused -- but I'm new on the scene, so who am I to say? I'm developing a strong DIY ethic, anyway. :)

Dagabu - I had a question. It had to do with rocket tooling. Once I remember it, could I send you a message? I think I read something about you being the leader of the dark side, so I hope you'd be OK with fielding questions?

Oh, thanks for the reminder. I paid for a membership to Passfire in November. I should sign in and find a project that needs attention.

Would the UK Pyro Society be OK with a Canadian member?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Although I live in the USA I'm a member of the UKPS, and I extend you a personal invitation.

Bonny, mind if I PM with a couple of questions? It's nice to meet you, and thanks for the welcome! The Canadian Fireworks Association seems to be a little confused -- but I'm new on the scene, so who am I to say? I'm developing a strong DIY ethic, anyway. :)

You can PM anytime. The CFA is only for professional shooters/companies/importers etc... I think there is only a few (if any) manufaturers left in Canada. Keep the hobby on the downlow as it is not legal in Canada.

As for UK forum, the membership is global, like here.

Dagabu - I had a question. It had to do with rocket tooling. Once I remember it, could I send you a message? I think I read something about you being the leader of the dark side, so I hope you'd be OK with fielding questions?

Oh goodness, NO!!! I am most certainly not the leader, I just have a big fat mouth and like to talk (post).

That said, I would be happy to give any questions you have a shot.

Thanks for the honest information. I'm still debating whether I can justify the cost when I could just take a blueprint to a local machinist, but I have reasons for wanting metal cutting machinery outside of building rockets. I guess I'm looking for an all-in-one setup that I can use with harder metals. I guess I should learn to be patient.

I'll ship to Canada, what tooling are you looking for?

Easy Canadian, just because you guys beat us at hockey last year is no reason to pick on the American, no matter how arrogant, self centered and predisposed to world domination we are!! :lol:

Easy Canadian, just because you guys beat us at hockey last year is no reason to pick on the American, no matter how arrogant, self centered and predisposed to world domination we are!! :lol:

It is only a matter of time before the Red Wings take over the world you know.

Edit: AYE!

Edited by NightHawkInLight

Excuse me?!?

You did not finish that sentence with an, aye? I hear that Canada just bought 10,000 septic tanks and when they learn how to drive them, they are coming after the USA!

Aye!

Edit: AYE!

Excuse me?!?

You did not finish that sentence with an, aye? I hear that Canada just bought 10,000 septic tanks and when they learn how to drive them, they are coming after the USA!

Aye!

We're all hunkered down in our Igloos as we speak, awaiting the perfect moment to strike... and c'mon Yanks,it's "eh" :P

No, "eh" down south is pronounced meh with no "M", as in, "The Red Wings will take over the world, aye." Meh, whatever.

Aye, has the long A sound, as in, "Want a back bacon on your pizza, aye? Be sure to wear your tuque, its cold out there, aye."

Edited by dagabu

No, "eh" down south is pronounced meh with no "M", as in, "The Red Wings will take over the world, aye." Meh, whatever.

Aye, has the long A sound, as in, "Want a back bacon on your pizza, aye? Be sure to wear your tuque, its cold out there, aye."

You gotta remember, I'm not from down south... "Aye" is yes ...especially to the Brits...

Oh yeah, and it is cold out here and I had my tuque on today, like most days. :D

Are you above the circle?

The Arctic Circle? No not that far... I'm on the prairies (if that means anything to you). Today was a nice and balmy -13C (~9F) but the temps in the next few days are supposed to be in the -20C to -33C range (-4 to -27F)Add some wind to that and it might be -40 up here. We usually get our coldest weather in Jan/Feb. Gotta keep wearing that tuque...and at that temp, I'm not even going to go out on my dog sled :whistle:

Although I live in the USA I'm a member of the UKPS, and I extend you a personal invitation.

Thank you, seriously. I respect your judgment. I'll look into it.

I shall be careful and respect our well-meaning laws. I get the feeling a hobbyist won't get anywhere asking a professional organization why the structure is what it is, so I'll let it go.

We're all hunkered down in our Igloos as we speak' date=' awaiting the perfect moment to strike[/quote']

Oh, leak the plans to the Americans, why don't you.

I'll ship to Canada, what tooling are you looking for?

What have you been making lately?

Btw, I'm looking at the Hybrid BP tooling from Wolter Pyro Tools. Thoughts? (Anyone?)

What have you been making lately?

Btw, I'm looking at the Hybrid BP tooling from Wolter Pyro Tools. Thoughts? (Anyone?)

I don't know about rocket tooling, but his pumps are top notch. I've got a crossette pump that works great and is very well made.

As for the laws up here...well we just don't get the same freedoms afforded to our southern neighbors.

Edited by Bonny

Wolter tooling is great stuff but I do suggest that you also take a look at Firesmithtools.com, Ben makes exceptional tooling as well and has made several refinements to his tooling as well as offering a tool for popping the motor off the spindle with ease. I have nothing against either maker but I spend my money at Firesmith when I need something made.

On to type of tooling:

IMHO, the Universal Hybrid Tooling covers more ground then any other single tooling set. In fact, last year, there were four of us pumping the creator of the UH tooling for information and there is work being actively done to produce a booklet that will be free or available for a very small charge (couple of bucks) that will outline ALL the uses, fuels, pressures, nozzles, delays, formulas and such. By the time it goes to print, this booklet should be the single most researched book ever for a single piece of tooling that we know of.

So yes, you cant go wrong purchasing a UH set as your first rocket tooling. Be very careful, the making of a successful rocket and heading is both contagious and extremely addictive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpPZk39bJeQ

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't posted my great news yet... I became a dad (again) on Jan 1...that's right 01/01/11 (can't forget that one).. Anyway, I'm now the proud father of 2 future charcoal crushers... I mean sons. It'll be harder than ever to make time for pyro, but it's a great feeling and I love my boys . :)

I haven't posted my great news yet... I became a dad (again) on Jan 1...that's right 01/01/11 (can't forget that one).. Anyway, I'm now the proud father of 2 future charcoal crushers... I mean sons. It'll be harder than ever to make time for pyro, but it's a great feeling and I love my boys . :)

Congrats on the new addition to your family! I already have three of them rascals and the youngest just had his 6th birthday!