APC Forum

Please Post VIDEO'S if you got em .

h&k machineguns

Despite the short stick on the 2nd rocket, it was a nice effect.  I like that slow spiral with the Ti tail.

Hmmmm...that makes me want to deliberatly short-stick some endburners to see if I can get them to make that lazy spiral at the end of their thrust.

Is that a typical (i.e. repeatable) symptom? Or would I be asking for nose-heavy, report-laden rockets to scare the bejesus out of everyone as they careen off in un-predicatble directions?

Even that sounds a little fun... :D

I've had the same thing happen quite a few times (only with my cored nozzleless rockets) when I've used a slightly bent bamboo cane as a stick. Could possibly be a safer way of acheiving the same effect than using a short stick...

It's a cool effect!

A short stick will repeatably give that kind of an effect. I find I get that sometimes when I don't tape the stick perfectly straight. I've never gotten that kind of an effect off of an end burner. Then again I've only made 1 end burner.

Yeah, end burners in my experience barely have enough thrust to get off the ground. I might try a chlorate end burner though, bet that sucker would really scream. Oh man, now I'm all excited. Video at 11:00. P.S. coming soon to a forum near you:

2.5" Whistle Ball Salute

3" Zinc Palm

3" Blue/Zinc/Report Mine

5" Zinc Chrysanthemum w/tail

It's like one of those Saturn missles on steroids.

Took the words right outta my mouth, you make the best salutes cplmac.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes indeed, we have incredibly slowly accumulated about two or three inches over the last week or so. Unmistakeable sound under foot.

Yes indeed, we have incredibly slowly accumulated about two or three inches over the last week or so. Unmistakeable sound under foot.

Somthing I rarely get to do living in Arizona.

Good job on the crosette, now just imagine 4 or 5 at once....

What's been giving you trouble? Because you said it was your first successful one, was it the break?

Yeah, I was breaking with flash before and it was blowing the x-ette out completely. This x-ette I broke with my chlorate whistle.

True and True. Thanks for reminding me to make a batch of standard and dark.

Just to clarify, you used a super flash, and not the standard 70/30.

What the heck is super flash ?

hkmgs@yahoo.com

I'd like to know as well. I've heard of beefing up flash by mixing the standard 70/30 with 50% flash and 50% pyrogren or meal-d but when I did some tests they seemed far inferior to just straight 70/30 by itself.

Do you mean chlorate flash instead of perch? Wouldn't that break it even harder?

He barely told me what it was. Super flash is a class of flash that is much stronger than standard flash. Generally the kind of stuff that self confines at .5g. Sb2S3 can be added, magnesium, barium nitrate, sulfur, and other various things are generally added.

Somehow I figured mentioning "super flash" would bring out a lot of people. The only advantage is that it is stronger in smaller amount. Filling a salute with it would be no louder, hotter, brighter, or anything. Actually I've heard it's actually quieter, and of course much more expensive and time consuming to produce. Anything over a gram really is useless.

Great idea Mumbles!!!! My next video will be a side by side of 2 whistle balls one with standard 70/30 and one with the hot flash. I honestly think the hot flash will be louder, but I''m jaded. It is much more expensive to make due to the cost of the other ingredients.

Couldn't really see the MgAl in the tail, nice long orange tail though.

Here is an unfortunate circumstance, the cameraman filmed all 5 of tonights test shells as one video, so it is about four minutes long and 8Mb big. Sorry everyone.

In order of appearance the stars of this show are:

2.5" whistle ball

3" hummer

3" standard flash cylinder salute

3" hot flash cylinder salute

5" zinc palm with gold glittering tail

The hot flash cylinder got sent about 150 feet further down range for some reason, I think the mortar got bumped a little. IMO the hot flash was definately louder, the video gets it a little, in person it was plain as day. Both of these cylinders were made with a 75 gram charge, both constructed identical to eachother at the same time, and both weighed in only 1 gram different from one another.

comparison test with some other stuff tested tonight

Dude, you really need to use Nero or even Windows Movie Maker to edit your films...although I must admit I get a certain evil pleasure in hearing you run back and forth five times. I mean we all do it :P , it's just nice to hear someone else running for a change. You and your friend must supreme self-control to launch five shells without saying a word between them!!!

Seriously...a couple quastions:

Is the first shell, the 2.5" whistle ball, a whistle report or a regular flash report with a whistle spollette? I've never tried a whistle aerial salute.

What was the height on the 5" zinc palm? Looks like it broke really low for a 5" - the stars appear to have hit the ground in 1-2 seconds. It broke like a canister, I thought...that downward break is the type I will be trying for with the leftover Firefly I have. Can you supply details on the shell construction?

With regards to your secret "Super Flash" recipe...Mumbles kinda downplayed it, while you have the opposite opinion. Shimizu stated that the following formula "produces the loudest report obtainable with a pottasium perchlorate/aluminum/sulfur composition.", from page 44, cited by Wouter Visser:

Preparation:

Potassium perchlorate.............................64

Aluminum..........................................23

Sulfur............................................13

Honestly, I've never felt the need to stray from perc/Al in 7:3 or 65:35 ratios. If I want a really big boom, there's always aluminized AN initiated with 2g of ETN :D

Are whatever sensitizers you're using (Antimony, Magnallium, etc...) making that much of a difference? I'm thinking of the occasional multi-break or tandem shell launch and the usual volleys of 2" - 3" canisters for finales. Please note, there's no attitude or pre-conceptions here; I'm genuinely curious...

Thanks.