APC Forum

Problem with stars and yes I read around and researched

gun410

Haha yep, the posts litter the pyrotechnics page. At first I thought it was amusing, to see what stupid question comes next, but it's gotten old real fast. Couple that with the fact that this is a real person who might end up injured or dead from this hobby and I realize it needs to end. We've tried to point him in the right direction, but you can't help someone who won't help them self. Also, at this point it becomes a liability issue.

Gun, if you are still reading this, either find a new hobby or learn pyro the right way. We don't want to see you injured.

• Like 2

hi

i want to know about thermite coating by WAX.

as I read about it, wax used in HMX/TATB/PBX and results is decrease of sensibility.

now i want to know: may I add waxes to thermite ( for example Al/CuO ) to decrease ESD sensibility?

thank you

^ to guy above me , HE isn't a topic to talk about here , if your that type of person I would leave here right away

Thanks

Stay safe and Stay green

~ Steven

I think he may be too sensibility sensitive. :ph34r:

Haha yep, the posts litter the pyrotechnics page. At first I thought it was amusing, to see what stupid question comes next, but it's gotten old real fast. Couple that with the fact that this is a real person who might end up injured or dead from this hobby and I realize it needs to end. We've tried to point him in the right direction, but you can't help someone who won't help them self. Also, at this point it becomes a liability issue.

Gun, if you are still reading this, either find a new hobby or learn pyro the right way. We don't want to see you injured.

I'll learn it the right way should I do more research in the safety side?

I'll learn it the right way should I do more research in the safety side?

Nah. Safety is for survivors. Everyone else gets Darwin Awards.

Do you REALLY need an answer to that question?

You should ALWAYS do more research on safety.

B!

• Like 1

Gun,

The issue is researching EVERYTHING, and anything. One thing you have failed to grasp is that so far EVERY question you have asked is something that is available somewhere here on THIS forum, and many of them have been questions about very basic parts of the hobby that you really should grasp the answer to before moving on.

I know patience is a very hard thing, especially at the age of 13. I was very challenged in that respect myself, at that age.

But in this hobby patience is a VERY large part of it, it is not a hobby with quick results. Being very careful and meticulous in everything you do are also huge, and those things all play into safety, both yours and those near you.

Please, take time....like a month, and read everything on this forum. Some of it will make sense, some of it won't. But with time and experience, the things that do not make sense will start to become more clear.

Nobody here wants you to fail, especially since that could mean you were hurt. I think most of us would actually like you to become proficient and learn this hobby so that you can become an asset to the community. Pyrotechnics is almost something of a dying art, and we need "new blood" to keep things alive. We need young people interested.

What we do NOT need are young people injured. That is bad for not only you, but the entire community.

Please, just slow down a bit, READ a LOT. Make sure you cross check the things you see too. If you see something in one place (like YouTube), you might want to keep a healthy doubt about the material. But if you see it in multiple places, especially here at APC, it starts to lend credibility to the information. With time you will start to recognize who among us here has the experience that you can trust.

Please, be safe, that is our primary goal.

With time you will start to recognize who among us here has the experience that you can trust.

That impression can be somewhat deceiving. Mubles, Dagabu, BB and i have something in common. My accident is 15-18 years back in time. Mumbles... I'm not even sure when that was. Late 2010? Back when i was still only a lurker here. Dagabu fairly early in 2013, (late may) and BB just recently. Anyway, we all got one thing in common. We all failed our applications for the Darwin awards. Or, if you wanna put it differently, we are all survivors of our own "pyro" accidents.

Mumbles and Dagabu i'd recommend as reliable sources any day. BB... Not so sure about that. I mean, com on. Glass marbles? Really? (Love you to death, BB, no offense intended) Other then that he seams reliable enough, and to be honest, he always was recommending everyone else to use proper milling media. That leaves just me. Now, i know everyone expects me to say that i'm the best, most reliable source of all, but quite frankly. I've been making my own pyro for 20 some years now. Be it modifying bought stuff, using bought stuff as a foundation for my own stuff, or making my own from scratch. I still learn almost every day, and the chemistry behind it all simply goes straight over my head. If i was giving me advice, i'd only trust em if some of the other fellas agreed with me...

One could argue that people having survived their own pyro accidents is a bad foundation for the selection of reliable sources, and i suppose thats right. But it includes 2 of the best sources i know. Dagabu and Mumbles amaze me on pretty much daily basis, the time they are willing to put in on answering questions, the knowledge they carry around, and the willingness to share it all.

You guys rock.

Don't get me wrong. There are others here that go way out of their way to give advice, help, and drop small secrets. Making a list of everyone simply would take up to much space. You all rock to, of course. Unless your tune is more towards the rap, pop n' such. Then you rap, pop, n' such.

Never trust any single source. If multiple sources are in agreement, and multiple others also agree with each other, but not with the first set... Ask someone you trust to help you figure it out. Never, ever, rush of and test it alone. When dealing with pyro, the tiny mistake can be what kills you. If i had gotten slightly unlucky with my accident, i'd be dead. And my accident only involved a couple of teaspoons of substance... Wet at that. And thats the way pyro accidents are. They happen. Be sure of that. They WILL happen. When they do, it's down to dumb luck if you survive at all, or if you die on the spot. If you do survive, it's again down to luck. I had a couple of months VERY easy recovery. I had tissue damage from shrapnel, but no burns. I also had all limbs still attached. Again, luck. Asking for enough luck that the accident happened, but left me completely unhurt, would have been to much, so i'm very happy with the outcome. Just like BB seams to be very happy with the fact that he lost a finger. He's not that happy with the loss of the finger it self, but he's damn well aware it could have been much worse. Dagabu is still in recovery, not really sure where he's going to end up, and, sorry to say, he's never going to be quite as handsome as he used to be... He to is very happy with the outcome. Well, what do i know. I can only go on whats been said on the forum. It's apparently hell to be burnt that badly, and yet he's here. Taking his time, sharing what experiences he's got. Mumbles... Not sure. Never did get much info on the extent of his damages, but the recovery indicates sever partial burns to at least some limb. Hand, lower arm, i suppose. He didn't go quite as public as Dagabu and BB did, for reasons probably best kept to him self. I never shared the details of my accident with anyone, and for "good reasons".

I'm rambling... Sorry. Anyway.

TL-DR:

My point is, if that isn't clear already... Pyro isn't like most other hobbies. It can kill you, even if you do everything "right". You will want to be VERY careful with what you do, why, where, and when. Your holding your life in your own hands. And from my memory, at 13... My hands were sort of small, and my grip strength not that great.

B!

Nah. Safety is for survivors. Everyone else gets Darwin Awards.

Do you REALLY need an answer to that question?

You should ALWAYS do more research on safety.

B!

I'd let him go. I could use another good read about an oopsie!

"Mumbles and Dagabu i'd recommend as reliable sources any day. BB... Not so sure about that. I mean, com on. Glass marbles? Really? (Love you to death, BB, no offense intended) Other then that he seams reliable enough, and to be honest, he always was recommending everyone else to use proper milling media."

MrB, Any advice I give is to be taken with a grain of salt. If you read my posts they will generally indicate that I am often speculating, and often wrong. In my defense I preface my assumptions with a warning that they are just that. Also if you read my bio it pretty much sums it up. Apparently glass media isnt completely unheard of. An earlier poster quoted Shimizu stating that the Chinese use golfball sized glass media in barrels turned by hand. In retrospect marbles were an awful media, but they did work well for a while, and may be okay for single component milling. I take no offense at all.

Shimizu stating that the Chinese use golfball sized glass media in barrels turned by hand.

This media when turned by hand may not have had the speed, force, and heat to cause an issue I suspect. On the other hand, accidents may not have been reported and 1,000,000 others were available to take over where others had misfortune.

You can trust that when I return to pyro I will use lead exclusively for BP. I do not advise anyone to use glass, in fact I strongly urge anyone who is considering it to look at my photos, read the thread about my accident, and rethink it. Had I used lead I wouldn't be all gimpy right now. No marbles, no shaking, and always wear PPE. I regret my choices and have learned a valuable lesson from them.
  • Like 1

What a bunch of great posts!

We all have had oopsies! I own the gun from one talented pyro that detonated a 8" shell in it and laid it flat, proper safety procedures were followed and we all had a chance to do some good natured back slapping. I also have the worst survivable injuries from a BP fire that I know of.

As has been said, it becomes a Darwin Award if you die, if you don't you are just regarded as a dumb a**.

Many feel that I am a dumb a**, I will not argue, there is too much in life yet to experience for such a rebuttal. Know this, I am 100% responsible for my accident, no one else had a hand in it and I am sorry to have drawn negative attention to this hobby.

That said, I am in pyro for life, I will build 1/2" rockets at PGI with n00bs and support my daughter with her competition rockets but I am done with anything that could kill me. As Clint once said, "A man's gotta know his limitations..."

Be safe.

"Many feel that I am a dumb a**, I will not argue, there is too much in life yet to experience for such a rebuttal. Know this, I am 100% responsible for my accident, no one else had a hand in it and I am sorry to have drawn negative attention to this hobby."

Ditto. Well said Dag.

You can trust that when I return to pyro I will use lead exclusively for BP. I do not advise anyone to use glass, in fact I strongly urge anyone who is considering it to look at my photos, read the thread about my accident, and rethink it. Had I used lead I wouldn't be all gimpy right now. No marbles, no shaking, and always wear PPE. I regret my choices and have learned a valuable lesson from them.

In January of 2013, our Admin Mumbles wrote these words in this thread;

"You might want to try to find lead shot or brass rod for ball milling. Adding glass marbles is going to eventually result in chipping and contaminating your product with a friction increasing material. There is some concern that glass can produce piezoelectric sparks, but I'm not sure how much of a risk that is."

Not dissing here, just somewhat of a premonition?

Yup. I'm a dumbass alright. ;)

I don't know if I should feel bad for derailing gun410s thread or not. It didn't seem to be too productive an area of discussion anyway, but in order to maintain organization of the forum, let's continue any discussion of my accident in the dedicated thread.

Don't feel bad BB, you boys have made a collaborative effort of turning a thread worth deleting/burying/burning into yet another thread showing the valuable safety/attitudes pyro's should live by! Like like like!

That's what forums are all about!

Edited by jessoman

MrB, Any advice I give is to be taken with a grain of salt. If you read my posts they will generally indicate that I am often speculating, and often wrong. In my defense I preface my assumptions with a warning that they are just that. Also if you read my bio it pretty much sums it up. Apparently glass media isnt completely unheard of. An earlier poster quoted Shimizu stating that the Chinese use golfball sized glass media in barrels turned by hand. In retrospect marbles were an awful media, but they did work well for a while, and may be okay for single component milling. I take no offense at all.

Yeah, your often willing to share what you know, and speculate when there is room for it. And i freaking love your attitude. I just used you and me as reference points for "good, well meaning advice that might not be 100% accurate"

As has been said, it becomes a Darwin Award if you die, if you don't you are just regarded as a dumb a**.

Your a winner & a dumb a** if you die, and if you survive, your a lucky dumb a**.

As i see it, you cant really lose. Well, your a loser if you don't get in to pyro, of course, but i don't go around and tell people that. I'm joking, of course.

Yup. I'm a dumbass alright.

Hey, don't feel bad. Your still a winner.

Don't feel bad BB, you boys have made a collaborative effort of turning a thread worth deleting/burying/burning into yet another thread showing the valuable safety/attitudes pyro's should live by! Like like like!

That's what forums are all about!

From time to time, i write posts, that... I don't really know how to write.

Look. How do you write a post about someone who lost a finger, tell someone else that this guy lost his finger over a choice he thought was safe, but really was stupid, and losing the finger pretty much was his own fault? I happen to know that if BB gets upset with anything i write, there will be a PM in my inbox, and we can talk about it, thats not my issue, but... How do you write such a post, in a way that gets the point you want to make across, without sounding hurtful, hateful, or just mean? I mean, i can be an ass, sure. But thats in person. And rarely intentional, i just don't connect well with people, and it's unintentional. But writing posts like these is something along the hardest things i've ever done. I don't want to hurt or offend people i like, and care about. Dagabu has thick skin, BB isn't afraid to retort, Mumbles... treads on eggshells. So on, but still. I love these guys for the passion and effort they bring to the forum. These guys are sort of my heros. I'm a sick twisted fuck, or so i've been told, but my kind needs heros to.

And to top things off, English isn't my native language, it's not like thats a shock to anyone. But it makes it harder to write posts like the one above. You know what you want to say, but the words just aren't there, and you hunt around in the dark trying to get some vague point across, hoping that people wont misunderstand you. Post 108 took me over an hour to write, if memory serves me right, this one... much easier, 5 mins, tops.

B!

MrB, I think you'll find that I am not easily offended. What I did was quite stupid on multiple levels, you are just calling a spade a spade. Nothing you've said has come across as hurtful, hateful, or mean. There is no need for a sugar coating, not for me anyhow.

English may not be your native tongue, but you have better articulation, spelling, grammar, and punctuation than many of the American posters here at APC. I think your English just fine. Sure there is the periodic typo or missed punctuation character, but we are all guilty of that.

I'm not sure which is worse, the constant threads asking for spoonfeeding, or the unending safety circle jerk that follows
  • Like 1

I'm not sure which is worse, the constant threads asking for spoonfeeding, or the unending safety circle jerk that follows

Yet here you are, just in time to eat the cookie :D

Semantics

Awwwww! Come join us Masterface! You can be the pivot man!

• Like 1