APC Forum

Problem with stars and yes I read around and researched

gun410

Gun410,

Your 13 years old, and you're trying to discover everything from black powder to rockets. You're asking question about stars and you no nothing about the basic and most widely used nectar known as black powder and its many many forms. Do your parents know that you are on the fast track to an accident? We don't mind helping you but you are moving TOO DAMNED FAST FOR YOUR AGE! I've seen things from people getting burned to getting their hand blown off and I doubt you've seen your shorts after you've had the shit scared out of you yet! It will happen and happen soon. I've correctly predicted this in the past and it looks like you're next.

You really need to settle and slow down if you expect help from us. Not that I'm guessing your intellect but there is no way in hell that you can properly respond to all of these questions in short order. Pyro takes time and I highly suggest that you pick one topic and stick to it until mastered. The first topic is usually black powder. This is a hobby that you grow into and that you need to respect.

Mark

• Like 4

Some stump remover is not a good source for quality nitrate. If you post the brand, that might help.

spectricide stump remover

Gun410,

Your 13 years old, and you're trying to discover everything from black powder to rockets. You're asking question about stars and you no nothing about the basic and most widely used nectar known as black powder and its many many forms. Do your parents know that you are on the fast track to an accident? We don't mind helping you but you are moving TOO DAMNED FAST FOR YOUR AGE! I've seen things from people getting burned to getting their hand blown off and I doubt you've seen your shorts after you've had the shit scared out of you yet! It will happen and happen soon. I've correctly predicted this in the past and it looks like you're next.

You really need to settle and slow down if you expect help from us. Not that I'm guessing your intellect but there is no way in hell that you can properly respond to all of these questions in short order. Pyro takes time and I highly suggest that you pick one topic and stick to it until mastered. The first topic is usually black powder. This is a hobby that you grow into and that you need to respect.

Mark

sorry its just that I just spend 70 bucks on pyro and im so close to being able to make them

It's normal for that powder to burn shitty (before making a star) for other questions use the forum search, everything is explained there

That is how this composition behaves in powder form. Once you make your stars and fire them they will leave a nice dence spark trail behind.

then I made the stars and let them dry for 2 days and I got the same result as the powder

I found this comp on skylighter.com and I'm wondering if it will work better

D1 Gold Glitter Star Formula

Component Percent Factor 4 oz 115 g Potassium nitrate 53% 0.53 2.1 oz 61 g Sulfur 18% 0.18 0.7 oz 20.7 g Charcoal, airfloat 11% 0.11 0.45 oz 12.7 g Aluminum, atomized 7% 0.07 0.3 oz 8 g Sodium bicarbonate 7% 0.07 0.3 oz 8 g Dextrin 4% 0.04 0.15 4.6g

also do you think its a problem that im using black willow charcoal I just ordered some hardwood mix airfloat charcoal will that work better

A coffee mill will definitely not work to mill the composition. Coffee mills should only be used to mill individual, pure chemicals that pose no risk of combustion. The nature of blade mills makes them dangerous to use for live composition.

A coffee mill will definitely not work to mill the composition. Coffee mills should only be used to mill individual, pure chemicals that pose no risk of combustion. The nature of blade mills makes them dangerous to use for live composition.

so should I get this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NOKY2W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AQ5FI4UY1WPPS

also I heard of them exploding should I use marbles or lead balls

Shoot it in the air. Like I told you it won't burn very well visibly in the daylight or on ground.

Shoot it in the air. Like I told you it won't burn very well visibly in the daylight or on ground.

Shoot it in the air. Like I told you it won't burn very well visibly in the daylight or on ground. Shoot it in the air. Like I told you it won't burn very well visibly in the daylight or on ground.

2 things I'll shoot it up in a mine and post it on here.Second thing I think the part that burned was the primer.

I'll post a video of what TT should look like
  • Like 1

If you've heard of them exploding and are still asking about marbles, you clearly haven't done enough research. Even just reading the new posts since you've been a member here would have covered this. A 2 minute google search is not enough researching for anything.

That video is roughly what they're supposed to look like. They depend on atmospheric air as they're flying around to fully combust. Otherwise you get a cinder like you saw.

Here are a bunch of links, that you could have found here, that talk about tigertail stars and some problems people are having with them. This is not at all an exhaustive list of reading for you, but should get you started.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/1581-help-with-tigertail-stars/

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/8653-tiger-tail-problem/

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/1459-problem-with-tigertail-stars/

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/7548-tiger-tail-stars/

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/66-tigertail-stars/

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/8732-unmilled-tigertail-stars

then I made the stars and let them dry for 2 days and I got the same result as the powder

Two days will probably not be enough drying time for that star comp. You should always test to make sure your stars are dry, before using them. Then they should be tested by getting them airborne. Stars are not meant to function sitting on the ground. A lot of people ask whats wrong with my stars ? When they themselves have not even tried these two basic tests...

That nitrate should be fine. You can get a coffee grinder to grind it up. Coffee grinders are used to powder chemicals, not mix comps or mill comps, do not put anything but one single chemical in the coffee grinder.

That's about what they will look like on the ground. Those charcoal stars are very fuel heavy, nearly 50% charcoal, and on the ground will leave a chunk of glowing charcoal. In order to get the effect, it has to be moving through the air. The particles are torn off the star as it burns and the oxygen in the air helps to burn them and the glowing particles hanging in the air makes the effect.

That composition does not even need to be milled, so stop grinding it up in a mortar and pestle. If anything, that's a good way to have an accident. You need to have airfloat charcoal, if you didn't buy it that way, the only way to get it there is by using a ball mill. DO NOT use anything besides lead media in your ball mill, lead... lead... lead..., stop thinking about using anything else. A ball mill is a MUST in this hobby, you are not going to make usable black powder with out one.

This is not a cheap or fast hobby to pick up. Plan on investing hundreds more if you want to build anything bigger than festival balls. It will take you years to fully grasp the basics of pyro, and even more years learning how to trouble shoot things and hammering out the kinks in your creations. Take Marks advice and slow down, no need to get in a hurry.

Edited by psyco_1322
  • Like 1

That nitrate should be fine. You can get a coffee grinder to grind it up. Coffee grinders are used to powder chemicals, not mix comps or mill comps, do not put anything but one single chemical in the coffee grinder.

That's about what they will look like on the ground. Those charcoal stars are very fuel heavy, nearly 50% charcoal, and on the ground will leave a chunk of glowing charcoal. In order to get the effect, it has to be moving through the air. The particles are torn off the star as it burns and the oxygen in the air helps to burn them and the glowing particles hanging in the air makes the effect.

That composition does not even need to be milled, so stop grinding it up in a mortar and pestle. If anything, that's a good way to have an accident. You need to have airfloat charcoal, if you didn't buy it that way, the only way to get it there is by using a ball mill. DO NOT use anything besides lead media in your ball mill, lead... lead... lead..., stop thinking about using anything else. A ball mill is a MUST in this hobby, you are not going to make usable black powder with out one.

This is not a cheap or fast hobby to pick up. Plan on investing hundreds more if you want to build anything bigger than festival balls. It will take you years to fully grasp the basics of pyro, and even more years learning how to trouble shoot things and hammering out the kinks in your creations. Take Marks advice and slow down, no need to get in a hurry.

Two days will probably not be enough drying time for that star comp. You should always test to make sure your stars are dry, before using them. Then they should be tested by getting them airborne. Stars are not meant to function sitting on the ground. A lot of people ask whats wrong with my stars ? When they themselves have not even tried these two basic tests...

Ok I just ordered a star pump a coffee grinder a ball mill need to get lead balls and I got air float charcoal two.

Ok I just ordered a star pump a coffee grinder a ball mill need to get lead balls and I got air float charcoal two.

Finally you are on the right way to get things right. You can contact leadballs about the ball you need or get the balls from skylighter (they are the same).

Gun410, make sure not to forget the PPE. Edited by BurritoBandito
  • Like 2

What is PPE

Wow! If you have thoroughly read anything on here you would know it stands for Personal Protection Equipment. I'm going to side with Dag on this one :ph34r:

• Like 1

Wow! If you have thoroughly read anything on here you would know it stands for Personal Protection Equipment. I'm going to side with Dag on this one :ph34r:

No please I have a dust mask and water