APC Forum

Problem with stars and yes I read around and researched

gun410

I saw your last video and I don't think anyone picked it up but why are you doing Pyro in your living room?

Edit: Also, if you're just worried about the residue of your BP and nothing else, you have clearly not done any research on what the quality of BP is deemed by.

Edit 2: Additionally, your TT star doesn't seem dry enough. I never get a flame from my willow stars, just embers.

Out of curiosity, are you weighing your chems by volume or weight?

Edited by LambentPyro

I saw your last video and I don't think anyone picked it up but why are you doing Pyro in your living room?

Edit: Also, if you're just worried about the residue of your BP and nothing else, you have clearly not done any research on what the quality of BP is deemed by.

Edit 2: Additionally, your TT star doesn't seem dry enough. I never get a flame from my willow stars, just embers.

First it's not my living room it's my 3 season porch and they dried for 3 days

First, you shouldn't be doing any mixing or manufacturing in a dwelling. Dust accumulates on furniture and that's not something you want anybody/pet exposed to. Do all of your Pyro outdoors. If it's raining, wait until it's not. Don't rush, unless you want to get yourself in a heap of shit.

Second, stop trying to argue such basic principle when you clearly have no experience. Don't take the advice you read as a grain of salt. Take the advice and stop rejecting it. If we say research, damn it do some research!!! Use the search button on this forum and read read read for hours the replies to old threads that are for the same question you are asking, that's what the search bar is there for.

Hell, for a different perspective, go on Skylighter and read the articles there to make comparisons and find which process you'll try that you may feel a bit more comfortable with. To be honest, I'd make a venn diagram to make the comparisons between each way you read it's done. But in the long run, you will end up trying most of them anyways. Especially for your general processes like making BP. For example, when I began, I saw three VERY BASIC ways of making stars. Cutting them, rolling them, and pumping them. The cut stars option seemed the easiest and most economical at first and I said to myself "I'll never bother with rolling or pumping them." I thought I was happy with cut stars.... Fast forward a few months later and I ended up having made stars all three ways and I'm still making them those three ways. Maybe a bit more refined and less half-assed, but still with the same principle.

Don't skip through the reads and find yourself 30 seconds later at the end of the article/thread/long post. Read every word, every letter, and every punctuation mark. It's only going to create less ridiculous threads like these and less stress on yourself (oh yeah, don't forget less money wasted). So once again, take the damn time and read. If you reallt want to watch YT videos, honestly use them to grasp an understanding, try not to follow exactly what's shown, you'll loop yourself right into a rip current that will take you forever to get out of being stuck in.

Also, if you READ the Ball Mill incident thread, you will see it has numerous references to safety precautions and things you can READ to find even more!

Don't think we're ganging up on you, that's not true. We will be more than happy to help if you show you've been persistent in your research to solve your problem. The things you're asking are such little problems that are fixed literally through time (and money). You will find that you will mess up, will waste, and things will fail. But man, that's just part of a thing called life!

You need to have patience and head back to the drawing board right when something does go wrong. Remember, YOU'RE DEALING WITH EXPLOSIVES. Rome wasn't built in a day...

-Dylan

I weigh by grams

First, you shouldn't be doing any mixing or manufacturing in a dwelling. Dust accumulates on furniture and that's not something you want anybody/pet exposed to. Do all of your Pyro outdoors. If it's raining, wait until it's not. Don't rush, unless you want to get yourself in a heap of shit.

Second, stop trying to argue such basic principle when you clearly have no experience. Don't take the advice you read as a grain of salt. Take the advice and stop rejecting it. If we say research, damn it do some research!!! Use the search button on this forum and read read read for hours the replies to old threads that are for the same question you are asking, that's what the search bar is there for.

Hell, for a different perspective, go on Skylighter and read the articles there to make comparisons and find which process you'll try that you may feel a bit more comfortable with. To be honest, I'd make a venn diagram to make the comparisons between each way you read it's done. But in the long run, you will end up trying most of them anyways. Especially for your general processes like making BP. For example, when I began, I saw three VERY BASIC ways of making stars. Cutting them, rolling them, and pumping them. The cut stars option seemed the easiest and most economical at first and I said to myself "I'll never bother with rolling or pumping them." I thought I was happy with cut stars.... Fast forward a few months later and I ended up having made stars all three ways and I'm still making them those three ways. Maybe a bit more refined and less half-assed, but still with the same principle.

Don't skip through the reads and find yourself 30 seconds later at the end of the article/thread/long post. Read every word, every letter, and every punctuation mark. It's only going to create less ridiculous threads like these and less stress on yourself (oh yeah, don't forget less money wasted). So once again, take the damn time and read. If you reallt want to watch YT videos, honestly use them to grasp an understanding, try not to follow exactly what's shown, you'll loop yourself right into a rip current that will take you forever to get out of being stuck in.

Also, if you READ the Ball Mill incident thread, you will see it has numerous references to safety precautions and things you can READ to find even more!

Don't think we're ganging up on you, that's not true. We will be more than happy to help if you show you've been persistent in your research to solve your problem. The things you're asking are such little problems that are fixed literally through time (and money). You will find that you will mess up, will waste, and things will fail. But man, that's just part of a thing called life!

You need to have patience and head back to the drawing board right when something does go wrong. Remember, YOU'RE DEALING WITH EXPLOSIVES. Rome wasn't built in a day...

-Dylan

I'm sorry it's just I feel so close to getting my TT done

And lots of people here say you won't see it on the ground at day but I see other people light them just fine and I've been reading around and one guy has the same problem.

TT is an acquired preference. I prefer to mill my TT slightly, others prefer to screen it. Some like to use different mesh charcoals, which goes into the Firefly formula, but that is another can of worms that I suggest you don't open until you can make TT. Test your dry comp and see how it comes out. If it burns the same way as your star, then you're mixing the chems wrong. If not, you have to let your stars dry a bit more. Charcoal comps generally take longer to dry. So put them in the SHADE and let them dry outside. Edited by LambentPyro

TT is an acquired preference. I prefer to mill my TT slightly, others prefer to screen it. Some like to use different mesh charcoals, which goes into the Firefly formula, but that is another can of worms that I suggest you don't open until you can make TT. Test your dry comp and see how it comes out. If it burns the same way as your star, then you're mixing the chems wrong. If not, you have to let your stars dry a bit more. Charcoal comps generally take longer to dry. So put them in the SHADE and let them dry outside.

When I tested the comp before wet or stars I holder the micro butane torch on it it burned only when I holded it on the comp it had the effect but when I didn't hold the torch on the comp it didn't burn

You said you're using Black Willow charcoal for your TT, Travis doesn't sell Black Willow as airfloat, that's most likely your problem. At that Oxidizer-Fuel ratio, I don't think TT can sustain a reaction with coarse/ground charcoal. Maybe Chrysanthemum 6, but I don't think TT can.

No please I have a dust mask and water

No one has addressed the fact that I started about the same time as gun here and know that this is not PPE, you need to look at the "ball mill explosion" thread, and "dag is the injured man" thread, look at the pictures, and reassess what body parts you intend on keeping, then protect those parts. I'm sorry but that is what I got out of those talks. All I'm saying is you will need more than water and a dust mask, they will do you little good when things go wrong.

Edited by Towskister

I wouldn't recommend nitrile gloves either.

Nitrile would be resistant to most basic chems on their own (what I use with lead or barium compounds) but better protection required when making actual compositions which could ignite.

Respirators aren't cheap here ($50 AU) including filters but are worth it as pyro involves dusts, toxic chemicals (sometimes) and solvents - It's like working on a chemical factory, sawing timber and fiberglassing all in one hobby.

It is good that you have water. TT stars in my experience burn like really slow black powder but with a 2-3 cm visible flame, however on the other hand, I use meal and then add 80 mesh charcoal. I haven't made TT in a very long time but i have a 2" D1 glitter/TT shell coming up so I'l see how that goes...

Make sure you wear only cotton in the vicinity of pyro, getting plastic melted into you really hurts.

No one has addressed the fact that I started about the same time as gun here and know that this is not PPE, you need to look at the "ball mill explosion" thread, and "dag is the injured man" thread, look at the pictures, and reassess what body parts you intend on keeping, then protect those parts. I'm sorry but that is what I got out of those talks. All I'm saying is you will need more than water and a dust mask, they will do you little good when things go wrong.

In know I've read that one about not use marbles or shaking the thing change of mind I'm gonna use my leather gloves

But what gloves should you use when forming the wet star comp

In know I've read that one about not use marbles or shaking the thing change of mind I'm gonna use my leather gloves

But what gloves should you use when forming the wet star comp

You can use nitrile/latex/whatever for working the wet comp. If you are making stars that are to be wetted with acetone or lacquer thinner, use latex, as the nitrile will fall apart rather quickly.

I personally had never even heard of the term PPE until I started working in the food industry.

You can use nitrile/latex/whatever for working the wet comp. If you are making stars that are to be wetted with acetone or lacquer thinner, use latex, as the nitrile will fall apart rather quickly.

I personally had never even heard of the term PPE until I started working in the food industry.

Ok who here agrees that my problem was I was useing black willow charcoal not air float

Ok who here agrees that my problem was I was useing black willow charcoal not air float

Airfloat is the mesh/constancy of the charcoal, it refers to very fine charcoal dust. It does not refer to a type of wood. Your willow is quite hot charcoal and should make good bp when you get it milled.

Airfloat is the mesh/constancy of the charcoal, it refers to very fine charcoal dust. It does not refer to a type of wood. Your willow is quite hot charcoal and should make good bp when you get it milled.

I heard BW charcoal is good for BP but hardwood air float is good for stars are i right

Man I reallly hate sounding like a broken record. Just do the research. PLEASE. On another thread you offered someone the advice to go read about it on skylighter. Why don't YOU follow that advice as well? I know you are young, and I'm not bashing on that. I just think people will be much more willing to help if you put in the effort yourself. Your BP problem can be discovered if you compare your method of manufacture to several posted methods that are proven to work. I'm not going to answer your question. People might, but you lose the respect of many forum members including myself if you don't put in any effort to learn about this dangerous hobby.

I know you are "close to having pyro" but these things should not be rushed. It would make everyone here feel MUCH BETTER if you did some serious research and got a good idea about what you are actually doing.

• Like 1

Man I reallly hate sounding like a broken record. Just do the research. PLEASE. On another thread you offered someone the advice to go read about it on skylighter. Why don't YOU follow that advice as well? I know you are young, and I'm not bashing on that. I just think people will be much more willing to help if you put in the effort yourself. Your BP problem can be discovered if you compare your method of manufacture to several posted methods that are proven to work. I'm not going to answer your question. People might, but you lose the respect of many forum members including myself if you don't put in any effort to learn about this dangerous hobby.

I know you are "close to having pyro" but these things should not be rushed. It would make everyone here feel MUCH BETTER if you did some serious research and got a good idea about what you are actually doing.

Not to be a brat but I reasearch and I want to make sure it's true because not everything online is true

Gun410 I think you problem with your TT comp. was you!

Mumbles you know that thing you been wanting to do for awhile now?

Not to be a brat but I reasearch and I want to make sure it's true because not everything online is true

This must be Gun's new tag line. He replied the exact same thing to Mr.B in this thread post #28

• Like 3

I heard BW charcoal is good for BP but hardwood air float is good for stars are i right

Of course, the information is correct. I gave you that information in a previous thread, and now psyco_1233 has also. Two right's don't make a wrong. Weather you are " right " or not is still up for debate . . .

Edited by Carbon796

Ya thanks I have leather gloves i lit the stars and throw them (with my gloves on to be safe) they sparked more thanks again!

Holy shit are you ever stupid. Seriously, no matter how close you are to having pyro, stop right now. Read excessively and maybe, maybe, you'll have a chance at not killing yourself or loved ones.

• Like 3

Holy shit are you ever stupid. Seriously, no matter how close you are to having pyro, stop right now. Read excessively and maybe, maybe, you'll have a chance at not killing yourself or loved ones.

+1 Here here!

Gun410, take it from me, pyro accidents are not fun at all. So far you have shown absolutely no respect for the compositions you are dealing with. Your lack of research is exasperating to say the least, and your carelessness makes it evident that you are not mature enough to be making explosive devices of any sort. I am sorry to say that I agree with Mumbles. You should quit pyro before you get hurt or killed.

Edited by BurritoBandito
  • Like 2