APC Forum

Occasional Happiness

Draco_Aster

Wow Mormanman I thought you were talking total. at 70 dollars it is still cheaper than stump remover but not a great price. I pay 23 dollars for 50 pounds fertilizer grade including CA tax. Take a look around places other than the net.

I did and since I can't drive yet my mom was sopose to take me but she didn't but this kno3 is really a "gift" persay from my great aunt.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• mormanman

• tentacles

• Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You don't need to actually drive. Yellow pages are a good place to take a look. I although would not have found mine if it wasn't for seeing a giant sign saying Jim's Chemicals--->. It was in the middle of strawberry fields. It turns out they only sell in the tons and mainly pesticides not fertilizers anyway. But they sent me to another distributor that is where I ended up getting mine from. I haven't looked for them in the yellow pages but I should just to see.

Also try calling a well drilling company and asking if they'll sell you a 50 pound bag of bentonite clay. They said it would be 6 bucks, but they ended up just giving it to me.

You don't need to actually drive. Yellow pages are a good place to take a look. I although would not have found mine if it wasn't for seeing a giant sign saying Jim's Chemicals--->. It was in the middle of strawberry fields. It turns out they only sell in the tons and mainly pesticides not fertilizers anyway. But they sent me to another distributor that is where I ended up getting mine from. I haven't looked for them in the yellow pages but I should just to see.

Also try calling a well drilling company and asking if they'll sell you a 50 pound bag of bentonite clay. They said it would be 6 bucks, but they ended up just giving it to me.

I mean that I looked in the yellow pages and couldn't find nothing

OH MY GOD! I've just been to an amazing display! Best one i've seen so far, lots of titanium salutes and 8" shells (by my estimate), a wonderfull evening.

Started off with titanium salutes (big ones, probably 5"), then some big ass shells which looked like chrysanthemum (strong earth shaking break charge), after that the intensity fell a bit with smaller shells filling the sky but after about 5 minutes kicked back into high gear with big ass multi breaks with bottom shot and for finale chysanthemum to blue, violet and green shells, brocade crown shells and titanium salutes.

Absolutely amazing. The whole thing lasted for about 15minutes, 15 minutes of pure pleasure.

I just love those titanium salutes...Flash....wait a couple of second....BOOM + windows shaking :D :lol:

My willow turned out to make GREAT lift. Also my D1 stars turned out better than I expected. Couldn't be happier about pyro right now. Well actually I could be if I could get some fundage for a sponenburgh.

Note, thinking about having an extra barrell for a rod mill to take care of lump charcoal.

Just ordered some 2.5" SS sch10 DOM pipe and 2.5" UHMWPE rod...3" comets (hopefully) here we come...

Let me know how that works out for you. I've been meaning to make a 2 1/2" comet pump.

Yay! Its my birthday tomorrow! I should be getting about £300 and some pyro supplies :D

Let me know how that works out for you.  I've been meaning to make a 2 1/2" comet pump.

You'll be the first (well maybe the second) to know...I ordered 1 foot of each and but plan to make the tooling 6", so I'll have enough for two.

If it works (and isn't too ghetto), I'll offer the other pieces for sale/trade.

Edit...99 posts! My last as a maniac...onward to technician status :D

Alright I'm happy because I got my kno3 yesterday but is $50 for 25 lbs a good price for sulfur or is there better.

$50 for 25 pounds of sulfur? I buy a bag of 50 lbs of sulfur at a fertilizer shop down the road for 10 bucks and it works just fine in my pyro, but it is definatly not reagent grade.

Yeah, I'm interested in big comets too... any comets really... going to be improvising some small comet tooling with dowel rod and PVC soon and trying around 1" to a little bit bigger. Probably glitters... The possibility of crossetts intrigues me... but hand carving tooling out of wood isn't likely to work well for me... we'll see.

Imagines a 6"+ shell with 2 petals of crossett comets, the outer petal bursting after the inner petal. Or a shell of shells of crossetts. :blink: overkill?

Contacted some people that might be able to help me get some professional display experience. I'll help them set up stuff hopefully.

Umm... Processed around 300g of willow charcoal to airfloat... ill have somewhere around another 300g in the mill soon... then more... I need more milling media... and some steel for milling metals... which i want to get into... like MgAl...

Going to make a drying rack of some sort for black match and make a bunch very soon. Possibly tomorrow. Also need to make a bunch of filler/burst. Maybe ill use some of my BP for that... hmm...

Out of school for now!

P.S.

If i threw some big Ti flakes in the mill with alot of big heavy steel bearings, would it noticeably reduce the Ti particle size in 24 hours? My milling jar is hexagonal and around 1gal capacity volume wise 15lbs capacity weight wise.

Crossettes can be made from a cylindrical cavity. A cavity comet and crossette could theoretically use the same tooling. Crossettes don't neccesarily have to burst into 4 fragments. I've also heard of people using a square hole, and getting good symetry.

Improvised comet tooling is pretty easy to make in smallish sizes. My comet pumps up to 1 1/4" are PVC or copper and dowels. I do have a brass commercial 7/8" though as I couldn't find any appropriate sized pipe. If you order a specialty dowel you could get 1.5 and 1.75" comet pumps.

If you want to see primitive tooling, here it it:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/3200/dsc01481dd9.th.jpg

It basically a 30 mm dowel using a film canister as sleeve. The cavity former is a part of my rocket tooling that i never used, so this purpose is better :) If I want to use it for making rokcets again I can just take it out. Right now I have 3 TT matrix comets drying.

EDIT: They didn't split, I suspect the whistle mix was too coarse.

This is an earlier attempt, although it only split in two:

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3117/dsc01459jx7.th.jpg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fhv65eg_Zws

yay i just made a order from firefox for a bunch of stuff they can still sell, finally got the ball rolling for the 4th.

$50 for 25 pounds of sulfur? I buy a bag of 50 lbs of sulfur at a fertilizer shop down the road for 10 bucks and it works just fine in my pyro, but it is definatly not reagent grade.

Dang man thats a great price that I cannot beat the cheapest I found is 50 lbs for $20 and one place I called (this part sucks) and they used to sell 40 lbs bags (I don't know how much they were) and now they can't and have to sell smaller bags for $10 because people were making bombs it sucked.

Made some magnalium today... took a 140g piece of 6011 Al bar, chopped it into 4" pieces and melted that in a can, then added Mg shavings I got from firefox a while back... I used about 165g of Mg, and some was lost dropping it into the can.. I used two propane torches (one would probably have done it) and some charcoal briquettes in my BBQ.

Result... 254g of magnalium, somewhere around 50/50 (burns easily and crackles nicely).

Pics:

http://www.apcforum.net/files/DCP_6.JPG

http://www.apcforum.net/files/DCP_5.JPG

http://www.apcforum.net/files/DCP_4.JPG

Took exactly 15 minutes from meat grinder to weighing again...

http://www.apcforum.net/files/DCP_3.JPG

The entire operation took me about an hour and a half.

Lol, very nice with the improvised comet pump! I'm still looking around the house for things to use as the tube and plunger. I'm betting ill find something nearly perfectly sized with a bit more effort.

Guess what?

My pain has just come to an end.

Where I before had nothing, I will now have it all.

I'm ordering shell hemis, crossettepumps, mortars, screens a few chems off supremepyro.

Also I've found a supplier that sells almost all my needs (except titanium, which you HAVE to buy in 25 kg drums) so I'm really happy now. You may think I'm a fool, but I don't have any skylighter or that I can just buy stuff directly from... until now.

The only thing remaining now is fuse.

took a 140g piece of 6011 Al bar

tentacles: is there a reason you used 6011 Al.? the 6000 series has magnesium and silicon as the main alloys. The 5000 series would be better for magnaluim since its only main alloy is mg.

Guess what?

My pain has just come to an end.

Where I before had nothing, I will now have it all.

I'm ordering shell hemis, crossettepumps, mortars, screens a few chems off supremepyro.

Also I've found a supplier that sells almost all my needs (except titanium, which you HAVE to buy in 25 kg drums) so I'm really happy now. You may think I'm a fool, but I don't have any skylighter or that I can just buy stuff directly from... until now.

The only thing remaining now is fuse.

Carefull if the supplier is Keten.

I am interested where you're going to get the mortars from, mind telling where you got them from? If it's not public please let me know over PM :)

i am very happy i just got really high quality dark aluminum for flash which worked very well and i am pleased with my black powder. i made several whistle rockets and a black powder rocket and i hope to make my magnalium strobe starmine soon.

PGF > Okay when I wrote that post I did not know who the supplier was, because I was ordering through another person. Then he gave me link, and yes, it's Keten. I'll be carefull though and see if I can make him delete ordering informations if possible.

I order mortars through supremepyro, it's not listed on her website, although she said that she could get pretty much everything related to pyro (except chemicals) since she lives in Liuyang. The mortars are fibreglass and she have sizes from 2-16."