APC Forum

The best flash powder

weknowpyro

That had a nice bang to it, looked almost like there was Ti in it. Did you have any AL in there that wasn't superfine? Thanks about the videos, I plan to keep 'em coming.

That had a nice bang to it, looked almost like there was Ti in it. Did you have any AL in there that wasn't superfine? Thanks about the videos, I plan to keep 'em coming.

Nope. The Al was 2 micron. My polumnas always have that look but I dont notice it with tubes but then again, I didint record any tube ones at night. I have a smaller one that does the same exact thing. But gotta go back on to topic lol.

I almost forgot, for reference here is a picture of the 3 together.

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos2646/6/11/19/28/88/0/88281911611_0_ALB.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I just got my 1 micron "spherical" Al. Now I know spherical is not good for flash comps but since its 1 micron I figured it will work. Ive seen 70/30 unconfied of this and it left Al fallin and burnin still and I also seen a about 50/50 mix and it self confined. So I mixed 50/50 KClO4/Al (1 micron spherical). I tested it in a polumna around 3/4 full (2-3 grams?) and lit it expecting a decent report but it basically made a pop kind of report not the sound of how 2 grams should sound, the remaining Al burning cought the pieces of paper on fire and had to stomp it out. The flash was very bright somewhat of a blue color not the usual white from flake Al kinda like a MgAl flash. I got a video of it but im ashamed to even post it, plus the my camera was messing up once again so there lines on it. Does anyone know what a good ratio for this Aluminum? I already mixed 60/40 but I cant do that now since its late. Any help with this would be very appreciated and please no "Get Flake Al", I used Flake Al I know all about it and yes I know its the best for flash and no I dont want to use the Al for anything else but flash.

Mill your perchlorate as fine as possible, or grind in a mortar and pestle. Then mix it at a ratio of 66/33. Also, a tiny amount of fine flake al will really get it going. Cab o sil will also help keep it nice and fluffy to speed the burn rate up.

• 1 month later...

Heya. Hmm I am doing some experimenting with some atomized aluminum bursts. I made some 1" clyinder shells using this guide http://www.pyroguide.com/index.php?title=Cylindrical_shell . The casing they recommend for the flash powder is a polyethylene straw which is what I am using.

Anywho I did a couple of test runs using golden powder[with titanium and with Aluminum], flash powder[KClO4/Al and KClO3/Al], and KClO4/Benzoic acid. The golden powder burned fast but wasn't able to destroy the straw. The flash powder burned fast but there was no report so I doubt it would have worked as a burst. KClO4/Benzoic acid was shit. I don't think my benzoic acid was fine enough. My Al powder is 1000 mesh atomized.

Anywho I plan on using a sensitizer to hopefully make the flash break the straw? I have Sb2S3, CuO and S. I don't think I will use CuO. Its a little to expensive and is better used for Blue flames...

Right now I just added a little Sb2S3 to my flash compistion so that the final ratios were these... 3.1/.5/1.3G KClO3/Sb2S3/Al I divided the test bathc in two as I wanted to avoid the risk of self confinement[didn't want to rouse the attention of the neighbors]. The flash burned really fast and there was less slag behind than the non Sb2S3 variant. I am kinda doubtful a straw casing + a few stars and a thin peice of index card is going to provide enough confinement but whatever.

I think Sb2S3 and probably Sulfur[haven't tested it] is neccesary for atomized aluminum flashes to work at an acceptable level when using small amounts. Atomized aluminum works ok on a larger scale like 15+grams but I dislike making the much flash as I could bring unwanted attention to myself..

... I think I might delete this psot... I am rambling a little to much...

If you're testing these comps by just pouring a little bit in a pile and igniting it, they'll give you a good test of speed between the mixes but you won't get a pop or report from any of them.

For example the flash will just go POOF and a cloud of smoke comes up if it's unconfined, but put it in that straw and you've got one heck of a burst charge. And you will attract the neighbors attention so go somewhere safe.

By the way, DON'T TEST ANYTHING OVER 1/4 TEASPOON THIS WAY. Anymore than that especially with the energetic stuff can cause some damage.

Hi, i decded to try out the all fabled MgAl/KClO4 flash powder. i found it rather disapointing- as rumours are that it self confines with very little mass, i.e perfect for small reports etc.

Has anyone had much experience with this mix? what was your MgAl particle size? and what ratios did you use?

What mesh size was your mgal? I used 2 micron Mgal and I had a very loud report when I lit 1 gram unconfined. I was quite suprised, as it was ALOT more then I was expecting! I think my ratio was 60/40.

Hi, i decded to try out the all fabled MgAl/KClO4 flash powder. i found it rather disapointing- as rumours are that it self confines with very little mass, i.e perfect for small reports etc.

Has anyone had much experience with this mix? what was your MgAl particle size? and what ratios did you use?

I used 600 mesh 50/50 MgAl and it self confined.

I used 10micron MgAl with KClO4, i tried the 50/50, 60/40 and the 70/30 ratio. But now that you say you used 2micron MgAl i can prob see whats wrong with my stuff...

I wonder if it could be ballmilled any finer than it already is? as i heard MgAl is very brittle.

How long would you say it'd take using stainless steel BBs?

thanks

I used 10micron MgAl with KClO4, i tried the 50/50, 60/40 and the 70/30 ratio. But now that you say you used 2micron MgAl i can prob see whats wrong with my stuff...

I wonder if it could be ballmilled any finer than it already is? as i heard MgAl is very brittle.

thanks

Well I cant answer ur question about the ball mill since I simply dont have one. I dont see why your MgAl flash aint producing good results as I got good results with KNO3 as an oxidiser as well. What exactly is the flash doing? how much did u use for a unconfined test? I used a horrible ratio with a very unreliable scale and it was some good flash.

Ball Milling shouldn't take long at all. I can grind my MgAl down to an extremely fine powder in just a couple of minutes with a mortar and pestle. Yes, MgAl makes very scary flash powder. With KMnO4 it makes a bang in amounts way less than 1g. Depending on who you ask they'll give you different stories about the sensitivity, for me it's fine. Hitting it with a hammer or grinding it with a hammer doesn't do anything. Could it depend on moisture or anything? KMnO4 is a bit hygroscopic. Insane stuff anyway - I've only ever made it in amounts less than 2g and it's been enough for a lot of small salutes and rocket headers (and just lighting minute amounts on the tip of a knife for the great pop it makes).

thanks

Well I cant answer ur question about the ball mill since I simply dont have one. I dont see why your MgAl flash aint producing good results as I got good results with KNO3 as an oxidiser as well. What exactly is the flash doing? how much did u use for a unconfined test? I used a horrible ratio with a very unreliable scale and it was some good flash.

Well i cant say that i used much for the burn test but the amount i used was probably about the size of your pinky finger nail. (I'm waiting for my lab scales to get here before doing precise measurements...)

All it did was fizz loudly, which is quite pathetic considering the german dark 2micron Al flash i've tried. So i doubt that its the KClO4 thats the problem.

I also tried it in a polumna but to no effect (in other words i got a nice little fountain instead!)

This is something quite annoying! Grizzly you say you used 600mesh, which is about 30/40 microns i believe? Hm, i think i'll give one more try with the 50:50 ratio.

BRB

600 mesh is about 20 microns. I know you guys probably got this stuff on ebay. I wouldn't believe the mesh sizes they say. They are probably just making stuff up to sell more. You know apparantly some people's Indian Blackhead Al is 2 micron and in star shape. :)

No one has a 2 micron screen they run this stuff through. You'd actually need a moderatly powerful microscope to see the particles. 2 microns is going on the particle size of smoke. Just take the sizes with a grain of salt.

I know how Al's was prepared. I think it may offer some advantage. I do kind of doubt the 2 micron rating by the way. Al's is ball milled. I think it would offer a sharper and more reactive particle, than with some of the others. They are possibly atomised or crushed in another method that doesn't yield as sharp of particle.

Well I used about the same as what you said. You seen my video right? Mumbles yea Ive had the one from ebay and the same stuff from Al which I believe was the same MgAl.

• 4 weeks later...

Heh actually i bought the MgAl from Hobbychem, which i must admit has been great for reactive metals in the past. Which leads me to think that its most likely something im doing wrong.

I did try out the stuff from ebay, and wow...it would've been better off adding chunks of iron instead of the ebay MgAl (even after milling for a few days)

Ah well, guess i'll stick to Al for small reports, and maybe use the MgAl for dragon eggs.

About the KMnO4/Zn/S are u guys sure this comp will not make a report? Ive read with confinement it will work nicely. Reason I ask is that Zn is very cheap and I have alot of KMnO4.

try ebay, i got my lab grade stuff from there.

I found Zn for $3 a pound. So does anyone have any info on KMnO4/Zn? Will it make a report with decent confinement? Im gettin people sayin it will make a close to 70/30 report and then some sayin it wont make a good report. I dont got the Zn yet to test.

How fine is the zinc? I have used plenty of zinc in the past but not the permangenate. It is difficult to believe that mix will be even a fraction as strong as standard 70/30.

I have to agree with you CPL. I don't like or support permanganate as a legitmate pyrotechnic material. I don't even like using it for oxidations in organic chemistry. I personally don't feel it is all that strong in the first place. If it wasn't for it's ease of aquisition, I don't think it would have any use. In the pathway of pyro, it is actually much weaker. It just gives up its oxygen easier, which gives the illusion of power from sensitivity. I see no way that the zinc permanganate flash will be anywhere near as powerful as 70/30.

Reduction Potentials:

Permanganate: 0.59V

Perchlorate 1.287V

Zinc is 0.76

Aluminum is 1.66

Potential of the 70/30 is -3.14V

The potential of the permanganate/zinc flash is -0.93V

I think that about says it all.