APC Forum

The best flash powder

weknowpyro

And what does it have to do with ‘The Best Flash Powder”. Also how could a dangerous comp like that be useful.

I made a new flash today, new to me that is, and it is the loudest I have made yet.

Potassium Chlorate 7

German Blackhead 3

Really loud, good flash. Best mix I have made so far.

• 4 weeks later...

weknowpyro posts in M25 2006: whats the burning rate of flash.

I hope it´s not to late for you...

The burning rate of two american comercial flashs-powders is 800 meters/sec. It ist the 70/30 KClO4 with atomized Al (don´t know the right word, but you will understood) Testing in a plastic tube, ingnition with blasting caps.

outher flashs comes out with 300 to 950m/sec. they don´t say what´s in it…

Testing by our gouverments-safty-authority. Shit, I will say it in feet/sec. but I don´t find it out. Can anybody do this for me?

By the way…the most powerful I know: I never will use KMnO4 flashes with Mg and Sulfur again, because I have an accident with it years ago. I´m filled it into a 15 mm bird-scaring cartridge and fired it with my Pistol…very “good” report to my ears and to my hand when it´s explode in my Pistol. It was shock-sensitive. I was lucky that I protecting my eyes…I was a Newbie and a as hole too.

But I must use the unsave KMnO4 continue doing, but only with sulphur and an Al-powder, very fine, don´t know the mesh, phlegmatize with Para fine, this is better save. You can fire it in cartridges by lifting powder without a Problem. I never want to store it for more than days, but I testet it in little You can not get any KClO4 here, you can blown up with cheep permanganate or NaClO3, but only can buy perch with a lizense…It´s crazy.

Are you saying that your using KMnO4 flash as lift powder and in pistol shells!? Metal shrapnel from a handgun is not something you want to be hit by!

Update: Today I tried pot. perchlorate and 500-600 mesh MgAl in a 70/30 ratio and Tested 1/10 of a gram of it expecting a bang/pop...it ended up burning like a flare. :huh: Maybe I messed up when I was weighing it, I'll have to try again later.

Oh no, my lifting powder is some BP and the handgun was fired with little cartridges of 6mm size. The bird-scaring cardridges I had fired are little papertubes with very hard pressed BP on one End and the flash was in side the other. And I´m never ever tried to fire a Pistol shell with any selfmade Powder in it!

Your right, I wan´t be hitted with shrapnels.

sorry, my english is to bad to write here, I must look for a translater.

Hi pa-pyro

Sorry, I think you misunderstood my posting due to my miserable english. I used

the wrong words. "Cartridge" does not mean munition for handguns, as well

as I didn´t use a handgun. It was just a signal pistol only for the use

of blank cartridges. Hope I could enlighten the muddle I caused?

pa pyro, try making your standard pot perch/aluminum mix, and add 5% MgAl to it. I was surprised to see the results myself last week. I used 325 mesh MgAl in typical 7/3 perch/german and it banged noticeably harder with a deeper sound. I also added some cab-o-sil. I think my next batch will add a little chinese needles and a touch of pot dichromate.

I was just thinking today "what if you made a thermite comp. with german aluminium" would this be a really fast thermite reaction yielding the "hottest" flash or am I thinking completely along the wrong lines? My german al. hasn't arrived yet so I just thought I'd throw it out there.

I tried some CuO/Al thermite/flash today using pottery grade CuO and aluminum extracted from spray paint. My god was it fast! Easily as fast as my best 70/30.

You must make some shitty 70/30 then. All the CuO/Al I've made is no where near as fast as my good flash. Using paint grade Al I do find it expecially hard to believe it is anywhere near as fast as 70/30.

You must make some shitty 70/30 then. All the CuO/Al I've made is no where near as fast as my good flash. Using paint grade Al I do find it expecially hard to believe it is anywhere near as fast as 70/30.

yea, paint grade is 325 mesh, not very fast at all.

The paint aluminum was ball milled for 3 days using 3/4" steel balls. It works just as well as any commercial powder. You must not be making your CuO/Al properly.

Are you saying that your using KMnO4 flash as lift powder and in pistol shells!? Metal shrapnel from a handgun is not something you want to be hit by!

Update: Today I tried pot. perchlorate and 500-600 mesh MgAl in a 70/30 ratio and Tested 1/10 of a gram of it expecting a bang/pop...it ended up burning like a flare. :huh: Maybe I messed up when I was weighing it, I'll have to try again later.

Hmmm.... Did u store it before u lit it? I noticed it horribly degrades within a few days. 70/30 isint the correct ratio for KClO4/MgAl anyways, try out 50/50. Also some people say u need S to ignite it but thats untrue since u seen my video and it self confined.

CuO/Al thermites are notoriously inconsistent based on prep method of CuO. The good stuff is dang fast, but not having dark Al, I have never made propper flash and cannot compare.

Best I would say would be some sort of potassium perxenate and nanozirconium prepped under inert atmosphere.

That reminds me, I must ask around and see who will let me make xenon compounds in their lab.

:P

Fingers crossed!

potassium perc+Al take 15 gram and make a salute shell of an 30mm plastik tube. take hot melted gly the ends with some very thin wooden disks about 2mm. this will bang your ear out if you are to close. a relative hade his birtday he become 60 years old, and were i live we are making 6 loud bang on the morning of an persons birthday.

we dident find any dinamite so i made some big salutes. they was really nice. did blow them up in the same spot, dident find a trace of the plastik tubes :D

Ok, one more post like that and you are banned. We do not condone random bulk salutes. This is not acceptable conversation.

hey i'm looking to buy some aluminum powder and potassium perchlorate for flash for the magnum bottle rockets kit I just bought from http://www.firefox-fx.com and was wondering which would be the best potassium perchlorate to get .....they have like 6 to choose from. i'm just looking for the basic 70/30 mix. maybe the domestic fine powder? http://www.firefox-fx.com/ChemN-P.htm is the link. Thank You.

You'd best concentrate on getting the rockets to a safe altitude EVERY TIME, before you even CONSIDER adding flash headers. You're trying to run before you even learn how to walk.

Use dummy headers to start with, or use a commercial firecracker inserted into a very small bag of flour for a visual indicator of your height.

I can also pretty much guarantee that Firefox isn't going to sell you those two chemicals at the same time. And they tkeep track of who orders what, and at what time, and the amounts.

And just FYI, your post borders on "Kewl". And that isn't going to score you any points here.

M

its a "bottle rocket kit", not a 1LB rocket. And I already have mastered getting these off the ground safely in a safe area. and I know they wont sell them to me at the same time, I wasnt planing on buying them both at once. Keeping track of what I order shouldnt be a problem either. And i'm not familiar with the "kewl" post border scoring your talking about. I think it was a reasonable question to be asked. flour trick sounds like a pretty cool idea, when I got started I used a jumping jack.