APC Forum

The best flash powder

weknowpyro

If you want to see the effect after the rocket reaches max height maybe Have a small creamer fireball as a header, you would be able to see it at night. Ram/press the top clay cap, drill a hole into it, add desired amount of BP and layer of coffee creamer with some paper between the creamer and the BP, then tape on some tissue paper to keep the powder in. It's lightweight and wouldn't harm anyone if the rocket misfires.

I can’t really see that working with a rocket, the rocket would still be moving quit fast and the coffee creamer wouldn’t light.

It would be like setting one off on the ground with a strong wind the coffee creamer would be blown away before it takes fire.

• 2 weeks later...

Found it.

Ofca bursting charge

Ofca

Potassium perchlorate 23

Potassium nitrate 22

Barium nitrate 11

Sulfur 11

Antimony trisulfide 11

Aluminum, flake, 325 mesh 22

Found it.

Ofca bursting charge

Ofca

Potassium perchlorate 23

Potassium nitrate 22

Barium nitrate 11

Sulfur 11

Antimony trisulfide 11

Aluminum, flake, 325 mesh 22

Yeah thanks.

I deleted my above post as i thought it was a stupid question. Thanks for the help.

Guest Mark_the_pyro
Hey I have a question for flash. I know the universal 30 70 mix, but I have heard from a member in this forum (forgot his name), but he said the comp in a 50 50 ratio is even louder. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks

Although loudeness depends on the casing and compression and amount of comp in the tub...I forget which one, but 70/30 or 65/35 is the optimal pot perch/Al ratio. 50/50 would make a brighter flash though.

One of the unusual flash powders I have made is based off of Sodium Percarbonate(80%)/Magnesium Powder(20%). I think aluminum could be used but my 1000mesh stuff was not cooperating.

Another variant is 40%NaCO3.2H2O2 40%Mg 13%NH4ClO4 7%pban. The smoke has a really funky smell to it.

Don't be so sure about the brightness. More metal doesn't neccesarily mean brighter. It should be noted that Al2O3 is an excellent white light emitter, which is part of the reason why flash powders are so bright. Therefor the stoichiometrical mix is theoretically the brightest one due to the most Al2O3 being produced. Stoichiometry is 65.8/34.2.

On the 50/50 mix, I made a batch of 50 perch 50 German Blackhead. It was not as loud as the 70/30, looked about the same. The difference in sound was very noticeable.

I’ve found upping the oxidizer can give a more powerful FP. I was using 60/40 ratios but I now use 70/30. btw the flash comp isn’t kclo4/Al

Guest Mark_the_pyro
Yeah I'm talking about the kclo4/Al mix. I received one micron Al and four micron perc, so I want the best effect I can to come out of this; this stuff isn't cheap!

One of the unusual flash powders I have made is based off of Sodium Percarbonate(80%)/Magnesium Powder(20%). I think aluminum could be used but my 1000mesh stuff was not cooperating.

Na percarb. and Mg? Hmmm seems very OTC, could you post a vid/pic of how that burns?

• 2 weeks later...
On the 50/50 mix, I made a batch of 50 perch 50 German Blackhead. It was not as loud as the 70/30, looked about the same. The difference in sound was very noticeable.

I doubt it looked the same. The extra Al most likely just went up with the smoke after the flash.

Has anyone ever tried KMnO4/Zn Flash? Ive read that 60:40 KMnO4/Zn burns real fast on the old forum. Im just curious to know if it could be the best Flash containing Zinc with just one oxidiser.

KMnO4/Zn/sulfur will work, but it's slow, no good for reports but it has a nice greenish color.

You can make KMnO4/Zn/S stars, they are unstable but green and cheap ;)

BTW tried today some KMnO4/Mg/Al flakes in polmonas, 3g gave an awesom BANG and a nice little hole in the ground, all the grass is bended outwards :D

This shit is powerfull! :ph34r:

I made some KMnO4/Zn flash powder, very fine. It burns with a fumph! And it burns with a bright blue flame, not green. ltf is right though, it will not make a report. It is also hard to light, I had to heat it up slowly untill it lit, as a fuse wouldn't light it. Be warned though, little bits of powder go everywhere.

I doubt it looked the same. The extra Al most likely just went up with the smoke after the flash.

If I must I will make some tomorrow and video it. I hate to waste anything but I would just as soon prove my point. I'll make a bit of 70/30 for a side by side.

I made some KMnO4/Zn flash powder, very fine. It burns with a fumph! And it burns with a bright blue flame, not green. ltf is right though, it will not make a report. It is also hard to light, I had to heat it up slowly untill it lit, as a fuse wouldn't light it. Be warned though, little bits of powder go everywhere.

KMnO4/Zn never worked for me.. what are the ratios?

I've tried KMnO4/Mg flash before. 60/40: and its the last time i try that again!

I wasnt able to work out the stoichiometry of it as i dont know the End products (probably a variety of them as well!)

This stuff self confined, extremely sensitive, didnt try it in a salute, though it does have the added interesting property of igniting after adding glycerine onto it.

If I must I will make some tomorrow and video it. I hate to waste anything but I would just as soon prove my point. I'll make a bit of 70/30 for a side by side.

I got a video of a polumna I did with more Al I cant remember what ratio but there was more Al. The Al wit up wit the smoke. I dont think I can post the video on here since its a video of a salute.

As promised. I tested 3 seperate mixes, 5/5 7/3 and my own special blend. Each salute is loaded with 4 grams of flash. They are set up next to each other and fire from left to right first the 5/5 then the 7/3 and last my mix. Draw your own conclusions, I stand by what I said earlier.

Flash test, side by side comparison

I got a video of a polumna I did with more Al I cant remember what ratio but there was more Al. The Al wit up wit the smoke. I dont think I can post the video on here since its a video of a salute.

You can post a video, as long as you don't post on JUST salutes. As long as it's used safley, you can post it.

As promised. I tested 3 seperate mixes, 5/5 7/3 and my own special blend. Each salute is loaded with 4 grams of flash. They are set up next to each other and fire from left to right first the 5/5 then the 7/3 and last my mix. Draw your own conclusions, I stand by what I said earlier.

Flash test, side by side comparison

Ok I see no extra Al floating, so maybe I was wrong but my polumna had Al in the smoke heres the video http://pyrofreedom.kicks-ass.net:2006/gall...oad.php?pid=164 excuse the camera messin up. I do not remember the ratios, but the scale was very unacurate. Nice videos by the way