APC Forum

The best flash powder

weknowpyro

i found the loudest flash powder in skylighter.com

the best flash powder its 50/50 of a mixture of standard flash powder 70/30 with bulleye smokeless powder !

Thats not a flash powder though. That is flash powder and smokless powder. I hardly doubt that is the loudest by the way.

This is slightly off topic, but does there exist a KClO3/Al flash? I have been attempting to find a comp that doesn't utilize sulfur, the best alternative so far being sugar. It is not comparable to KClO4/Al. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sure. When you mix a powerful low temp oxidizer with a metallic fuel, what do you think is produced? Flash Powder. You must calculate the proper proportions of ingrediants, obviously. Start by working out the reaction.

KClO3 + 2Al -> Al2O3 + KCl

A very simple reaction, now take the atomic weights,

K = 39

Cl = 35

O = 16

Al = 27

Substitute in the weights, and calculate.

[39+35+3(16)] + [2(27)]

122 + 54

Then divide the weight of one of the reactants by the total weight, and multiply by 100.

122/176x100

A 70/30 mix would be optimal.

KClO3 is a more powerful oxidizer than KClO4 because its decomposition i more exothermic, this also makes it more sensitive to ignition, your flash should ignite more easily than it would if you were using KClO4 as the oxidizer. Perhaps it is your aluminum. Are you using spherical or granular or flake? What mesh size?

I mixed a 70:30 with german dark Al and pure KClO3 and it worked beautifully. I couldn't really tell a difference between it and perchlorate based flash, but it worked.

I have already looked into all that. The problem is not the chemicals, it is the composition itself. The KClO3 decomposes before the Al has a chance to actually react...... basically meaning I get KCl/Al instead of the wanted Al2O3 + heat. Sulfur would be used to reduce ignition temperature..... but there is that small side effect of being unstable. Sucrose is the best alternative I have found so far.... but it's still rather poor compared to KClO4/KMnO4 flash.

I can get the KClO4 without a problem.... just wondering whether people actually have used KClO3 based flashs....

So you've tested the solubility of the white crystalline compound left over in a certain quantity of water to confirm that it is KCl? 34.4g of KCl dissolves in 100ml of water.

• Like 1

Stop blaming the chems. If it will not ignite, there is something wrong with the process you used to produce it. Perhaps your KClO3 is not finely powdered enough, or the mixing is not adequate. It should ignite very easily, as it has each time I as well as many others have used it.

Do you have to use either; Parlon/PVC or RedGum combined with e.g Strontion Carbonate, Copper Oxide to create coloured Fire/Sparks?

I'd rather not blame anything and just use KClO4.

What is the best colored flash powder? I am still waiting for a few packages (due quite soon), so I can't experiment yet :(.

Excelent colored flash powders can be made by mixing a color producing nitrate (Sr or Ba) and magnesium in the ratio of 1:1.

Ba(NO3)2 and Mg will produce a flash that flashes with a blinding green light. Excelent. Haven't tried Sr yer so i can't really say how it will perform.

I have found Ba(NO3)2/Mg to have a white flame envelope with a green tinge around the edges, but if you are a distance off it is a nice green color. Sr(NO3)2/Mg gives a nice pink/red flame envelope and an incredibly bright flash. Without the Cl donors those rich colors jsut aren't there, rats.

To get a nicely colored flame from flashpowders, the maltese often add a chlorine donor, mostly PVC. Parlon will not work as well, because it is a flame retardant. The reaction is so fast you need something that burns together with the other ingredients when ignited.

This is especially true to get a good green from barium nitrate/magnesium flash.

• Like 1

The best colored flash i think is Ba(NO3)2/Sr(NO3)2/PVC in the ratios of 12/12/1, be carefull these flashes are extremly violent.

The cheapest and loudest flash is KMnO4/Mg its like the barium/Mg/PVC explodes in the open.

Try these flash powders and be carefull ^_^

By the way KKnO4/Mg flash in a salute makes a blast like a tank.

Anyone have any personal experience with the comparison of KClO4/Al and KClO4/Al/S. I know the Shimizu flash comp of 64/23/13 is said to be the loudest of the KClO4/Al/S mixes but how does it compare to just KClO4/Al 70/30? I ask this only because I am running low on perc and Al and wish to have more bang for my buck basically.

Anyone have any personal experience with the comparison of KClO4/Al and KClO4/Al/S. I know the Shimizu flash comp of 64/23/13 is said to be the loudest of the KClO4/Al/S mixes but how does it compare to just KClO4/Al 70/30? I ask this only because I am running low on perc and Al and wish to have more bang for my buck basically.

I heard the S makes it go from a loud pop to a loud bang!!

Wow havent come back to this topic in ages...

But anyway, i discovered another flash powder by accident, unorthadox i must say...

mix 50:50, 50%(70:30 kclo4:Al) with 50% (thermite 3:1 Fe2O3: Al-where the Al is very fine Al i used 10 micron). I was pretty bored, so i lit it with a thin blackmatch thinking that this would just fizzle and send sparks everywhere, but suddenly "thummmph!". i was dazzled and blinded for about 10mins!

I havent managed to try it in a salute yet in comparison to normal 70 30 flash, but seems pretty fast burning and lights as easily as my 70 30 flash powder. Anyone wanna try this mix in a salute? i could post this in the compositions section if needed.

Oh yeah and if you really wanna have all powerful flash powders with higher risks then i might be a more worthy thought of learning a biut more and going into high explosives.

When i tried the KClO4 Al S one a while ago, all it did was sizzle and crackle loudly, while filling the air with the stench of pure SO2 gas, dont think i'll be trying that again untill i get some German dark Al.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, I hate to break the news, but the best flash is.

PURPLE FLASH

KClO4.......37

Sr(NO3)2....11

Mg (-400)...37

CuO.........11

PVC.........04

Purple is my favorite color. :D

Source: -Degn

You think you could post some info about that purple flash like how good the color is and burn rate. I was planning on trying that this week.

I would post something about it, but actually, I have never made flash powder. It is my current fav though, because it is purple, and has chems that I will have access to within the month.

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried the purple flash powder with 500mesh magnesium. It completely and utterly kicked my ass. Sadly, the flash wasnt purple though. More of a...light colored white. I don't currently have any dark Al, so I am wondering how this compares to the standard 70:30 flash mix. This stuff was definately awesome on the loud scale. Echoed for around 4-5 seconds. It was 10g btw.

This is the first flash powder I have ever made and (i'm not sure if this is allowed or not) compared side by side to say 10g of HExplosives, the HE doesn't compare. I have never felt a "kick, shockwave, whatever" like this from 10g of an HE. Flash is just awesome.

My favourite flash has got to be German dark Magnalium/Kcl04. I'm not overly keen on bangers/salutes but the sound of a few grammes burning in the open is amazing :o

For purple salutes, I think a modification of the Degn violet flash might give a better colour.

You might need to be farther away for the purple light. I've use a green flash of 50:50 Ba(NO3)2:Mg. Closer than 100 feet or so it looks very white with some green tinges. When it is several hundred feet away(in the air) it is much greener.

Just asking around but has anyone ever experimented with silver nitrate water ignited flash before? There would not be many uses for it but it would be intrested to see i expect.