APC Forum

The best flash powder

weknowpyro

This still does not answer my question.... I already know and read about the post of KMnO4 and read ur replies about it, ur basically just sayin the same exact thing. The seller claims its 5 thru 8 microns, So Im not sure of which mesh. Im just askin a simple question will KMnO4/Zn make a decent report at all?

I suggest shifting your focus away from flash powders and salutes. That is not the purpose of the forum, and is the main cause of the action being taken against the hobby. Seriously, nearly every one of your posts is about flash powder or salutes and I don't appreciate it. This forum is not about flash and salutes, but the intelligent discussion and progression of pyrotechnics.

How about u put ur coke bottle glasses on and put ur clearasil to the side and read what I asked "A SIMPLE QUESTION". Im sick of havin to sound professional on this forum just for once again "A SIMPLE QUESTION". Its not my fault that many people u see other places who u would call k3wl misuse flash powder etc and call it b0mbz. Far as im concern is that 90% of the users on here start off with flash powder then gain the knowledge on makin shells etc. Dont tell me different either. Salutes are Fireworks, the reason why these actions bein takin against the hobby are from idiots who have no knowledge on any pyro. I love how u down Flash makers then have a HIGH EXPLOSIVE section on this forum, High Explosives are k3wl if u ask me. This forum is ridiculous with this proper spellin shit etc. Of course most my of post have to do with flash powder. Does not mean thats the only thing im interested in. I still view many parts of the forum and read up on it and dont post anything on the other threads cuz simply I do not have the full knowledge on the thread. Your simply destroying this hobby to new comers. Ive seen u ban people for stupid reasons.

Im sick of havin to sound professional on this forum just for once ...

Ive seen u ban people for stupid reasons.

Permanganate is not a good oxidizer to use in any pyrotechnic device, as it decomposes, also it's overly sensitive to normal handling, messy, and not something you would want to trust in storage and transport.

Now, why does Mumbles react the way he does ? Basically, any question that includes "I hear I can use permanganate for flash" has been heard dozens of times on here.

People who want to steer newcomers away from flash are not what's killing the hobby, it's people who think ground salutes are pyro that give it a bad name.

In Mumble's case, he gets enough flack already for this board, and I figure he wants it to keep a decent reputation among other pyro's he's associated with in other areas including actual professionals, PGI Grand Masters, pyro chem, tooling, and material suppliers, etc. Trust me, he goes on other discussion groups and mailing lists and they give him shit for putting up with this crap on APC. Honestly, I wouldn't want to be in his position, walking the tightrope he is. Imagine Mumbles explaining a permanganate flash thread to say, Jim Biersach or Rich Wolter, etc. ?

Unless you are the one doing the work of trying to keep APC flowing smooth, why rag on him about it ? ( there's pleeenty of other things to give him a hard time about :) ) you know the rules, or should by now.

OK, off my soapbox...

I understand this completey. The thing is I already know about permanganate flash etc. I was just askin a simple question about the Zn with the KMnO4. I do not use KMnO4 for flash just gonna give the KMnO4/Zn a try. The truth is I was not gonna use the KMnO4/Zn for "ground salutes" but as payloads on some rockets. I know alot of forums dont want flash talk goin on but a simple answer would be nice maybe a private msg would be nice.

From what I have read I am uncertain if Permanganate/Zinc will provide a good report. I have heard that it has been used as a rocket propellant and a replacement for lift powder. So from what I gather the mixture burns a little to slow for a kaboom. I think the Permangante/Zinc lift powder mixture was mentioned on this forum and the rocket propellant usage mentioned on sciencemadness or another pyro forum(don't remember). And pretty much as everyone else says KMnO4 is fairly useless in the field of pyrotechnics. Its only usage is in the laboratory for organic chemistry[titration, oxidization, etc].

I love how u down Flash makers then have a HIGH EXPLOSIVE section on this forum, High Explosives are k3wl if u ask me.

We are not interested in the High explosives simply because they are powerful. Alot of discussion goes into the creation and how to achieve the best product, by testing different temperatures, different methods, and different chemicals, Etc. in order to achieve a chemical masterpiece.

It is true however that High explosives are NOT pyrotechnics I am not saying they are I am simply stating that alot of us a more interested in the theory and creation than the actual power involved.

If you don't get why you need to use proper spelling and grammar then simply leave. No one is holding a gun to your head or wants to converse with you in a rational manner, if they cannot decipher your posts. We aren't asking you to become an english major, but atleast attempt to edit your posts, or get a spell/grammar checker.

Please do not take this the wrong way, as I also enjoy a nice gut thumper.

As for the best flash powder, IMHO it is Magnesium/Potassium perchlorate in a 60/40 ratio. It is very bright, does not require extremely fine Mg, and makes a clear, sharp, crack. In my experience it hasn't been extremely unstable, and with coarse Mg, has a very great volume to mass ratio, 'Tis so Light and Fluffy. :D

I'll say again for those in the cheap seats, zinc is going to suck as a flash fuel. I have tried it in numerous formulas and it just is not a fast burner. It does give off a nice ghostly green but it will suck as a flash fuel. Again, zinc is going to suck as a fuel in flash powder. If you use perchlorate instead of permangenate with your zinc, the zinc is going to suck as a flash powder. So bottom line, zinc is going to suck as a flash powder fuel. I've spent a great deal of time and money making different flash powders so I'm not speaking as someone who has anything but appreciation for good flash powder. That being said, zinc is going to suck as a fuel for flash powder.

...I'll say again for those in the cheap seats, zinc is going to suck as a flash fuel....

I'm not quite sure I undersood you there... what if I *really* want it to work as flash fuel? How about if I project Super Pyro Karma Energy onto it...Will it suck then?

I think you're just The Man trying to keep us down.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Well hate to say it but you guys were right, 60/40 KMnO4/Zn sucked it burnt like BP, and confined shot like a rocket. I apologize to mumbles I understand you dont want flash talk on this forum and were only tryin to prove a point that Zn flash sucks.

• 1 month later...
I would like to add something to this. Personally the loudest flash I have used is KClO4/Mg/Al. It makes a very loud bang unconfined. Its scary stuff.

Particle size makes a huge difference.

It would be better for the clarity of the discussion if the particle sizes and types of powders are included. IE -325mesh coated flake Al and -200mesh chinese gourmet KClO4... vs fine Al and KClO4...

Inriched uranium with a proton booster is the britest that I have seen.

Near lasvegas in late 50s & 60s sure glad the stoped doing that.

permangante seems to be senitive to humidity.

chorlates is the easiest to make work.

phrechorlates is by far the safest to handle.

• 3 months later...
I've been working on my kno3/mg flash powder. It's suposed to be realy good, and i need a break charge now that I'm moving to larger shells, but i just cant get it to ignite even with very fine kn03 and mg. I use Grant's stump remover as my sorce of kn03 (ball milled excesively), and fine mg dust I sanded down. Any idea what my problem is? If so, I could use a solution! Thanks.

Look for the flash that uses plaster of paris/mg.

You havent told us what ratios your actually using for your flash yet.

Besides, i i'd suggest to simply get some KClO4 and Al instead, much safer in comparison and more powerful and reliable.

• 4 weeks later...
You havent told us what ratios your actually using for your flash yet.

Besides, i i'd suggest to simply get some KClO4 and Al instead, much safer in comparison and more powerful and reliable.

i agtree, im happy with the standard 70/30

I've been working on my kno3/mg flash powder. It's suposed to be realy good, and i need a break charge now that I'm moving to larger shells,

i thought this was covered previously BIGGER SHELLS DON'T USE FLASH. nothing wrong with flash experimentation but you dont need it for bigger shells.

Seriously... That scares me the most when people say they need flash powder for bigger shells... I know how people think, they need flash powder for m-80 making or something similarly retarded so they ask for links for the ingredients and say something like "I need break for big shells", which is completely wrong, and points out that your not using the flash for shells...

Like crzzyboy said... you can experiment with flash all you want... just don't do anything stupid in a residential area or your hurting the whole pyrotechnics community...

i agtree, im happy with the standard 70/30

I also use the standard 70/30 flash. Works great for small (1") salute shells. I've also used it for small shell inserts made from a pc. of drinking straw with a short visco fuse glued in. These are ejected from the shell and make nice loud pops after a short delay.

I've been working on my kno3/mg flash powder. It's suposed to be realy good, and i need a break charge now that I'm moving to larger shells, but i just cant get it to ignite even with very fine kn03 and mg. I use Grant's stump remover as my sorce of kn03 (ball milled excesively), and fine mg dust I sanded down. Any idea what my problem is? If so, I could use a solution! Thanks.

Hey, if you use this don't. I have read that I can self ignite. So if you have shell with Mg/KNO3 the shells can break and shoot stars everywhere. I you make it just do it for fun and burn it that night or something. I read this for the 50/50 ratio but I don't know about the 70/30. I haven't heard/read any story about Mg/plaster of paris though.

generally i just use 70/30 flash which works fin but i saw cplmac's red flash and i wanted to try it i couldn't make it so i tried green flash:

potassium perchlorate.............................6

barium nitrate....................................3

Aluminum powder...................................5

i used dark pyro aluminum.

anyway it burnt super fast no time to even see any color whatsoever im not. its possible this flash isn't special but was so fast because i spent 10 minutes mixing 10 grams but if not it is very fast and very powerful will get vid soon...

• 5 years later...

Better known as green flash...one of the best and loudest Deep Bang I have heard!!!! VERYYYY Impressive when mixed with very fine powder.

Frk, what ratios did you use for the BaNO3 flash? I made some 50/50 BaNO3/Mg flash before and it was extremely bright but I didnt try it in a salute or anything. It burned really fast unconfined though.