APC Forum

Please Post VIDEO'S if you got em .

h&k machineguns

My buddy was filming and he did do a good job tracking considering he had it zoomed in for some reason. I don't have a pre-flight picture but I might be able to pull a still off the HD camera. The fuel was 70/30/1.5/3 +10% Ti perch, salicylate, red iron oxide, vaseline. The first motor was pressed on 2lb strobe tooling, the second and third were pressed on 2lb whistle tooling. The concensus was that it would come apart and chase me down like a gazelle because it was pretty flimsy construction to allow the motors to be ejected easily. Pleasant surprise for all of us.

I think this is the best rocket I've ever made. 

And it's spectacular! Excellent work my friend, excellent work.

I've never done a home-built multi-stage rocket, how did you connect the stages? Were they sleeved one over the other like a model rocket?

Also, I'm surprised that the trajectory seemed to go down wind. In my limited experience my rockets tend to turn into a strong wind, but perhaps that's because I use longer sticks, so I assume the weathervane effect turns them. In any case, congretulations on a fantastic rocket.

Thanks, it did weather vane, it's just that the rocket flew directly overhead and totally threw off the perspective. I just butted the motors together more or less. Held the final stage on with hot glue and strapping tape, and the other two with one turn of masking tape.

With the thrust that you generated with the first stage I'm surprised that the second and third stage junctions didn't bend/break/fold and tear apart. Did you have a stabilization stick on each stage, or just on the third stage? I seem to remember seeing a schematic of a two-stage rocket that had a stick on each stage (was it in Sleeters book??? damned brain cells).

Well, it's dark now, so I'm heading out to light off a couple of my little 4 oz. BP rockets. They pale in comparison to your stuff, but anything with a fuse is worth lighting isn't it?

Absolutely, if it deflagrates it's usually fun. There was a single stick for all the motors to share. The thrust actually helps keep it all together.

4" Hummer Mine

This was supposed to be a three timed 4" cylinder shell, but the shell bottom blew out on lift and turned it into a mine.

The sound of those hummers was reallly cool shame it became a mine.

8" Lampare

A buddy of mine made this 8" 15lb Lamp a couple of weeks ago and we fired it off at a club shoot last weekend. It is on the tail end of a 2.5" chain and homemade 4" salute.

Wow that was loud, do you know how much flash was in that? Did the guy use petrol or was it acetone or some other liquid?

Straight unleaded. Not sure on how much flash, but chances are it was more than a pound.

Hell, a 4" lampare uses almost a pound of flash. I'm sure less will suffice, but the people I've known to make them used about 400g of flash.

Just off some assumptions, I'd say in the neighborhood of 3-4lbs of flash. I came up with two different theories thinking about how I would do it.. They both land in around 3-4lbs of flash. I think he either used an 8" bottom shot can (~7-8lbs), and a 2L bottle of gas(4lbs), or a somewhat normal 8" canister with sand or clay or some reinforcing material(3-4lbs) and a gallon of gas(8 lbs).

I know for a fact he used a gallon of gas, I'll ask him tomorrow how much flash. The Lamp weighed 15 pounds so I'm sure there was a considerable amount of flash. I'm going to try and pull a still off the HD vid of the shell itself being loaded so you can see how huge it is.

Shit 4 pounds of flash thats a hell of a lotta flash powder. Yeah i'd love a picture of the lamp.

cplmac:

your 6 lb Ti whistle to 3" cylinder salute seems to have a particular long lasting tail. Could you tell me please how much Ti of which grain size you used for this effect?

Thanks,

Nemo_Tenetur

I used 10% Ti Sponge 18-30 mesh, which is about as much as you can use before you start to lose the sound in your whistle.

cplmac, you continue to impress with your rockets.

Keep up the good work, you videos keep me inspired while i battle through this pyro drought known as college. Cant wait for winter break.

Thank you very much for explanation. Is there also a "lower limit" of the useful titanium grain size? I mean particulary the risk of CATO due to the use of very fine ti. Are these grain sizes also valid for other metals? Ti isn´t easy available in my country, spherical aluminum would be much easier to get - and cheaper.

Generally for rockets I find 5% plenty for a good tail, and I've used mag, FeTi, and straight Fe with some success. Al can turn your tail white and speed up the mix so I don't mess with Al in rockets to much. Haven't tried spherical yet though. I don't think metal will cause a motor to CATO but it might cause you to lose thrust and will cause you to lose whistle sound quality if you use to much. Glad you guys are enjoying the rockets. I should have some more built after our show at the end of June, but for now it's somewhat on hold.

I have some MgAl left, and brought a small batch with me to my ramming station.

Does anyone know how much I shold use (5% is my best guess) and will it speed up the mix?

My tooling is custom made, and I do not need a faster powder...

Oh well, I'll give it a go tonite and see what happens.

As for additives, I have tried the obvious coarse charcoal.

I'll give it a go with the MgAl and I'll try Al powder at a later stage, but I fear it will speed up the mix so much it goes boom...

Fe is also a possibility, but I will have to coat it first.

Any other metals for good tails?

Ti is hard to come by where i live, but what I have seen it's beatutiful.

Go Cplmac!

With BP it's hard to get any different colored tail at all, and I am thinking about ramming a slower delay mix on top with a KClO4 color comp. I bet that has been done before..

I'm not too good on filiming my rockets, mainly because the fair Scandinavian nights will not do justice. And it's a hassle editing and uploading le vid's.

So, I'm lazy.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick video of a 4-shot 2in mine fan. It was supposed to be a 5-shot, but the last mine didn't light...the QM leader burnt but the stars/lift didn't take. Oh well...my 12yr. old nephew and his friend still approved :)

Stars were 3/8" Chrys6 made with a mix of airfloat and coarser charcoal +10% 5μm spherical Al. 50g stars, 15g lift per mine...they really got up there for a 2in - I'm guessing 60-70ft.

Frame grab from video:

http://www.apcforum.net/files/4x2inChrys6mine.jpg

Video

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s some vids of some shells, Ti aerial salutes and a rocket I let off this weekend. All went to plane, had some very nice echoes of the surrounding hills which you may here in the vids.

The shells where 40mm canister shells lifted with about 5g IIRC.

40mm Shell Spider

40mm Shell Reeper Silver

40mm Shell D1 Glitter

BP Rocket With 1.5g BP Header

1" .5g Ti Salute

1" 2g Ti Salute