APC Forum

Please Post VIDEO'S if you got em .

h&k machineguns

perhaps the metalllo used e' of the aluminum to grains the sound that emits e' much metallic one, dipendera from the diameter of the hole hole

perhaps the metalllo used e' of the aluminum to grains the sound that emits e' much metallic one, dipendera from the diameter of the hole hole

I'll try this one:

"Perhaps the size of the metal used to gain the sound should be dependent on the size of the nozzle." That's my best guess.

Go getters don't have a nozzle, although the wet batched ones do form a small concave cavity as they dry.

3lb Whisper rocket with 7 1.25" glitter comets

3" Drippy Comet

3lb Red and Green Strobe rocket

6lb Whisper rocket with 3" comet to report

Okay, couple of things here, first these aren't the greatest videos, but they are good enough. Second, the red green strobe rocket was awesome in person. The motor burned green and strobed red, but like all of my strobe rockets it hit the ground before the report could go. The Drippy glitter formula for these large comets needs to have the Ti removed. It gave a longer tail but killed the glitter of the Al.

cplmac,

First off, nice videos... The strobe rocket partially eclipsing the moon was too cool.

Did you already post your drippy comet formula? I have a nagging suspicion you did, but I didn't come across it in a quick scan through your posts. Could you post it or point to the post where you did...it's really nice.

Do you pump the comets with a commercial or home made form?

I don't think I did because I haven't settled on it yet. I've been tweaking it for months, and this last one is actually another tweak. Basically I used the Purrington gold glitter formula, and just started messing with it changing the metal types and ratios. The reason this last on had such a massive tail is the coarse Ti. I pressed it on Wolters 2.5" comet pump which absolutely kicks ass. You can get that massive pump with a crossette and a cavity head as well.

OK...I do remember you posting the Purrington's info. Yeah, Rich's tools are nice - I have some crossette tooling and case extenders. I asked as I have come up empty for an easy 2 1/2" - 2 5/8" ID comet mold. Still hoping I've overlooked some sort of pipe fitting that will do the trick. Fabbing up a rammer from HDPE or PVC + wood/epoxy, etc. is doable, but I may have to bite the bullet and purchase some large comet pumps.

The 2" comets I make weigh in ~50g ea. How much do the 3" weigh?

I'll let cpl answer for sure, but I believe he said the last comets weighed 300g.

For a 3" (cheap) comet pump, I've been looking into a few things. First and foremost (and cheapest) 2.5" PVC. 2" PVC should slide in fairly easily, or at least with a bit of sanding. I've also thought about using the passfire method, where they cut a strip out of larger PVC and heat form it to size. I'd be a bit uncomfortable having the outer sleve split though. I'd much prefer it be the inner sleve, but this brings us back to the 2.5" PVC

The other, and probably highest quality, thing I've been thinking of is picking up some metal. 2.5" aluminum with a 1/4" wall is fairly standard it seems, One could pick it up for $20-30 a foot from what I've seen. You really only need 4-6" anyway. 2.5" solid rod is also available, but the PVC thing mentioned before could work too. I'm not sure how well the aluminum would hold up to the pressing pressure. Steel is available, but more pricey. I also would probably make my rammers from PVC so I could make several rammers. Solid, cored, off center cored, etc. Would also do the same thing for 1.75" comets.

If anyone tries this out let me know how it works.

Mumbles is right on the comet was 315 grams when dried. I press these comets at 4000 PSI indicated on a 1.75" hydraulic ram going into a 2.5" tooling ram. I don't think PVC would hold up to this pressure. I'm pretty sure my tooling is about 9 inches long and I use most of it because at that pressure the comp really compresses to less than half it's loosely filled size.

Wow, that was indeed a fast rocket! What mixture/procedure did you use and how was the construction of the rocket?

Wow, that was indeed a fast rocket! What mixture/procedure did you use and how was the construction of the rocket?

I like my rockets fast,and feel the faster the better . I also like lots and lots of thrust. If I could I would make them twice as fast and 5 times higher,but I may be reaching my limits as far as what a paper tube can handle. I build whistle rockets out of schedule 40 PVC pipe as well,and can put a little hotter fuel in them.

In that video,I used NEPT tubing ,76/23/1-3 using Sodium sal,and Tai Perc,red iron oxide,with vasoline.

The core is 4.25" long,and I go about half way up the core with this fuel,then the rest of the core with 64/32/1-3 using the same chems.

I screened the perc through 30 mesh,before mixing everything together,and use laquare thinner .

Man that thing was a bullet HK.

That sound was definitley very sci-fi. Are your hummers normally so short lived? Did something happen to your bandwidth limits? theskypainters.com videos seam to be loading much faster than they used to.

My hummers are always short, I can't seem to get any longevity with the current tubes, I think they are about a quarter inch to short. I'm not sure what is with the bandwidth I have no idea, sometimes the net is a slug, sometimes it's working right. I have never even used 1% of my bandwidth so if it's slow it's a traffic jam on the net most likely.

That is the longest burn time I've ever seen for a 1 pound rocket, hell any single stage. What fuel did you use? Great stuff as usual HK.

3" Ti Whistle Mine

I was not impressed, but it did work. Would have been much better at night, but even in the day you can see the 10% Ti.

Thanks cplmac,

The fuel was Sodium Sal,Tai Perc, and vasoline.

I'm going to add a booster to it,and see if I can get 6500 + feet.

No catalyst? I guess that would make the burn duration longer. I look forward to seeing the next one. I built and fired a 3 stage 2 pounder this weekend. I'll get the video up as soon as it's rendered.

Shit cplmac! That was absolutely fucking beautiful man! Dude wish i could do that. By any chance is your name Kevin?

That was sweeet - nice tracking work with the camera ; )

Do you have a pre-fire photo?