• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dagabu

• guntoteninfadel

• NightHawkInLight

• Algenco

That is impressive! What is the inside diameter of the big tube?

(.5)^2(3.1416) = .7+/-

(1.5)^2(3.1416) = 7.06 +/-

I realize my math/geometry may be a little off, but is that not a ten fold increase in size from a 1"? Thats going to be a LOTof bp!

(.5)^2(3.1416) = .7+/-

(1.5)^2(3.1416) = 7.06 +/-

I realize my math/geometry may be a little off, but is that not a ten fold increase in size from a 1"? Thats going to be a LOTof bp!

Yup, almost exactly a ten fold increase. I load 200g into a full 1" BP rocket with 5 seconds delay, that would translate to 2000g of BP in this motor. About 4.5 pounds of BP per firing.

-dag

What a freaking CATO! Really hope that doesnt happen but you know, if it did, lawd jeeeezus it would be something else!

Thats going to be an impressive rocket. Does the fuel scale up as well or do you think it needs slower fuel than SLD specs for the spindle design? I will be there in LaPorte, but don't be offended if I find a dumpster to hide behind when it flys.

LaPorte

IN?

CO?

PA?

MN?

I take it this is tristate?

IN?

CO?

PA?

MN?

I take it this is tristate?

IN

No, they will NOT allow this to fly there, it will be a static display of an inert motor (charcoal and a binder like dextrin) and hopefully a static firing with a beam type thrust scale.

-dag

It would seem that ratio only takes into account the difference in diameter. I'd assume the rocket is also about 3x longer than a 1" rocket. Are you sure you're not looking at about 6000g? It seems closer to the ball park. I vaguely remember cplmac telling me that it takes about 20lbs of whistle for one of his monster rockets, but that seems awfully high now that I'm thinking about it

It would seem that ratio only takes into account the difference in diameter. I'd assume the rocket is also about 3x longer than a 1" rocket. Are you sure you're not looking at about 6000g? It seems closer to the ball park. I vaguely remember cplmac telling me that it takes about 20lbs of whistle for one of his monster rockets, but that seems awfully high now that I'm thinking about it

I cheated Mum and used a cylinder calculator and just multiplied the grain weight by the volume difference. In any case, it is gonna take heaps of BP to make this bugger! The 1# is 1" x 11" and the 3" is 24" by 3". I did not take into account the spindle.

Planning session tonight, I got beer (and soda) so anyone wanting to get in on this come to my place at 5. The wife is cooking steaks. wink2.gif

-dag

Edited by dagabu

This appears in the Rocket section as well since the Agora postings never seem to show up there :(

TUTORIAL

-dag

Either TheSidewinder or I have to manually approve the postings in the Agora. Send us a pm and we typically get it taken care of pretty quickly. I've been contemplating making changes to that system, but that is the way it is right now. There is a sticky at the top of the section reminding people of this. It's not very obvious when there is a new post to approve in there anymore.

Sorry, let me clarify what I meant, when I have an approved Agora posting, it does not show up in "Todays Active Content" so I post the item in the relevant section as well so they know that I posted something. Not a gripe, just want to make sure that those that wish to see it get the chance to.

-dag

That actually would be great if it would show up in active content.......... Is that possible?

Well here is a preview picture of what Dag and Myself are building. Needs some work and the tubes are only there for reference only. Smaller tube is 3/4"

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2237/rocketk.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My (and everyone else's) God.. That is a monstrous thing!!

Is that spindle finished as it's shown because there's no nozzle forming "step" in the lower part of the spindle? Or is it a nozzleless design?

Those would make me run out of KNO3 in a blink of an eye. And cost at least 3 mill runs for 1 rocket.

Madness.

That is a monstrous thing!!

Thats what she said :whistle:

My (and everyone else's) God.. That is a monstrous thing!!

Is that spindle finished as it's shown because there's no nozzle forming "step" in the lower part of the spindle? Or is it a nozzleless design?

Those would make me run out of KNO3 in a blink of an eye. And cost at least 3 mill runs for 1 rocket.

Madness.

LOL! No, that is version #1, there was a horrible drawing of the tooling that had the dimensions all screwed up and the divergence was left out, though it will still make a great spindle for slower fuels and nozzleless rockets so all is not lost.

The correct and finished spindle will include the divergence and rammers. I think a Big Mac should be set next to it so you all could get an idea of how truly massive this thing really is!

-dag

Yup, almost exactly a ten fold increase. I load 200g into a full 1" BP rocket with 5 seconds delay, that would translate to 2000g of BP in this motor. About 4.5 pounds of BP per firing.

-dag

if my wife see this tool size she will want me to get a bigger one

Hey all, I just wanted to share some of my projects with you all that I have been working on. These are all 100% my creation, all of them are cut from stock with no CNC or special tooling, just a calipers, file, sand paper and a lathe.

Enjoy ;)

3# Universal Rocket Tooling brass spindle (mounted on Firesmith Base). My baby :)

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/100_2025.jpg

A 1 pound Universal Rocket Tooling set (making it for someone here, just the base is left).

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/3%20pound%20set.jpg

8 oz. Universal Rocket Tooling set, all ready to go!

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/100_2027.jpg

A 1/2" Endburner spindle ready to be polished.

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/100_2030.jpg

A 1/2" ID all brass canon that I am working on for the 4th of July.

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/100_2033.jpg

just curious Dag the UT first one on this page, are they cost wise and arm and a leg or just an arm or maybe two legs,just curious my wife is trying to find me something for christmas,early christmas at that,All ps thats if you sell them?

Edited by allrocketspsl

just curious Dag the UT first one on this page, are they cost wise and arm and a leg or just an arm or maybe two legs,just curious my wife is trying to find me something for christmas,early christmas at that,All ps thats if you sell them?

Naw, I don't charge that much for tooling, its material cost plus machining time. That works out to be around $150.00 shipped for the three pound set with Brass spindle for the UT set.

-dag

• 7 months later...
Helo someone can help? can`t find a biger than 1lb bp rocket tools dimensions Edited by skysparkler