APC Forum

Some Tooling

dagabu

I started a new job today, and in a corner of the workshop I found a small CNC lathe that someone bought years ago and nobody knows how to use. I think I'll make it a project to get it up and running.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dagabu

• guntoteninfadel

• NightHawkInLight

• Algenco

Looks cool!

I really like the dual purpose idea. I love gerbs, but am bound to my endburner tooling for making them . They work fine for gerbs ( see my chromatrope wheel) , but give a bit of a overkill in terms of thrust.

You can use a slower fuel to Fred, then you'll have a longer burn duration and less thrust ;).

You can use a slower fuel to Fred, then you'll have a longer burn duration and less thrust ;).

I know ..:)..I use slow meal, and add another 10% coarse C screened in. With specific gerb tooling, the choke is bigger as opposed to end burners. A well.....nothing wrong with a fast driver. A 19.7 mm end burner holds about 75 grams. This gives me about 14 seconds of thrust. I am hoping on shooting my chromatrope again next weekend. I'd love to have 24 mm gerb tooling....hehehe...

Edited by fredhappy

I know ..:)..I use slow meal, and add another 10% coarse C screened in. With specific gerb tooling, the choke is bigger as opposed to end burners. A well.....nothing wrong with a fast driver. A 19.7 mm end burner holds about 75 grams. This gives me about 14 seconds of thrust. I am hoping on shooting my chromatrope again next weekend. I'd love to have 24 mm gerb tooling....hehehe...

I know this guy that can make it for you ;)

-dag

• 4 weeks later...

I have completed the rammers and spindles for my class, I am waiting for the funnels to arrive and will borrow hammers plus need to cut tubes for everyone. Here are the 12 sets so far.

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/100_2451_1.jpg

-dag

I will be selling all 12 sets including tubes, stainless steel funnel, 2 rammers (shown) spindle and base for $50.00 each set delivered after I teach the class at PGI. They will all be shined up and good as new at the time I sell them.

The spindle base has a universal spindle hole for any spindle you would want as well.

-dag

BONUS!!! The tooling will come with full instructions on how to make monocopters, four wings, four cross bars, center tubes, fiberglass tape and chip board plus 6 NEPT tubes so that you can reload the monocopters.

I timed making four motors using 2.5g of clay and three scoops of BP and it only took me 5 minutes! I think these will will really take off ! :lol:

-dag

I have two aluminum 1# UT sets done for two lucky guys! I have to run and grab the 3/4" rod now, two sets will be shipping Monday to those pyros (you know who you are). ;)

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/100_2454.jpg

-dag

Edited by dagabu

I'd be interested in one of those 1/2" endburners after PGI also....if any of them are not accounted for already

I'd be interested in one of those 1/2" endburners after PGI also....if any of them are not accounted for already

You are #3, TSO! ;)

Here are the two 1# sets ready to ship out.

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/100_2458.jpg

-dag

Bah, I already have half inch tooling. Pity you aren't teaching a 1# class Dag, I'd be in.

Here are the two 1# sets ready to ship out.

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/100_2458.jpg

-dag

Dag,

I got the confirmation and really really really appreciate the time factor. That is AWEsome looking! Bad news is I am at work for next 9 days and wont get to play with my new toys until late next week :angry: ! Will definitly let you know how well they work ASAP when I return.

thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
hey Dagabu just out of interest are your rammers core just straight with the diameter of the bottom of the spindle or does the core go smaller like the spindle does. I hope this makes sense.

LOL!

It makes perfect sense. Yes, the cores step down but do not taper down, there is no need for the taper and will only allow you to really jam comp between the rammer and the spindle. The end (opening) is the most essential dimension but I feel that more material further up the core make for a stronger rammer though it is much easier to just bore it straight up all the way and not make the steps.

-dag

Gulp! And he aint kidding either!

I am grabbing phenolic resin when at PGI and will roll up some tubes that will handle a monster!

-dag

For all of you that are coming to PGI, come stop by my table in manufacturing, if all goes will, I will have a one of a kind rocket tooling set sitting on the table that a fellow pyro is making. It should be spectacular to see!!!

-dag

Take pics for all of us that live forever and a day away!

Gun,

I have driven to your neck of the woods many times from Minnesota, kick the chickens out of the truck and come on up to play ;)

-dag

• 2 weeks later...

Well at long last, the Monocopter tooling and Tutorial is done, the class has been taught and the kits are all done and ready to ship!

You can make 10 monocopters (less BP) with these kits and the tooling will make 1/2" end burner rockets 3" long (burn time is about 5 seconds) that will lift 2 grams to 400'!

The first 12 that make a payment of $55.00 to my PayPal account at coldfire11@msn.com (please send as a gift) will get the complete set, YOU MUST send me an email FIRST! Failure to do so will end up with your money being refunded to you.

This appears in the Rocket section as well since the Agora postings never seem to show up there :(

TUTORIAL

-dag

For all of you that are coming to PGI, come stop by my table in manufacturing, if all goes will, I will have a one of a kind rocket tooling set sitting on the table that a fellow pyro is making. It should be spectacular to see!!!

-dag

Well here is a preview picture of what Dag and Myself are building. Needs some work and the tubes are only there for reference only. Smaller tube is 3/4"

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2237/rocketk.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us