APC Forum

Some Tooling

dagabu

Those look really nice! I was actually planning to do the same thing myself tomorrow(turn my spindle collar so that it will fit in my Firesmith base). The unmounted universal spindle in that picture does not appear to have a flat spot for the set screw. Have you found the set screw method to work fine without this flat spot?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dagabu

• guntoteninfadel

• NightHawkInLight

• Algenco

The second to the last thing I do is make the flat, I like to keep the spindle base round in case I need to chuck it up. I will place the spindle in the base, make sure everything is perfect, put the flat on the spindle, drill and tap the set screw, assemble, check it all for true, drill and tap the cap screw in the spindle base and base bottom.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I did it, I made a three in one tooling system using a universal base, ejection rings (no need to twist motors off the spindle). You can now build the Standard Whistle, Pusher Whistle and Strobe Whistle rockets with just three rammers!

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/100_2176.jpg

Well, I did it, I made a three in one tooling system using a universal base, ejection rings (no need to twist motors off the spindle). You can now build the Standard Whistle, Pusher Whistle and Strobe Whistle rockets with just three rammers!

Wow!! Truly a work of Art!

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/cartoons/bowdown.gif

They are beautiful and very functional, all that with only 3 rammers

Wow!! Truly a work of Art!

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/cartoons/bowdown.gif

They are beautiful and very functional, all that with only 3 rammers

Those are utter masterpieces.

dag, I envy your metal working skills.

Edited by oldguy

Sweet set of tooling.

Who is the lucky customer?

Sorry, I dont give that information away but if they wish speak up, they are free to do so.

-dag

Those are utter masterpieces.

dag, I envy your metal working skills.

Thanks OG! ^_^

You have lots more skill then do I, mine is just on a lathe, yours seems to be much wider.

-dag

Sweet set of tooling.

Who is the lucky customer?

MINE, might have to put them on the Mantle to be admired, too purdy to use ;)

Can you explain how the ejection spacers work Dag? I'm trying to picture it and it's not quite clicking...

Can you explain how the ejection spacers work Dag? I'm trying to picture it and it's not quite clicking...

Sure! Press the rocket as normal then remove the support sleeve. Back off the set screw coming out of the side of the base and remove the cap screw threaded into the bottom of the base in the the base of the spindle. Pull the motor still attached to the spindle out of the base, place the ring under the end of the motor, insert the long cap screw into the base and screw the spindle down into the base. The ring will hold the rocket tube of 1/4" and the cap screw will pull the spindle out of the motor.

No twisting needed :)

Im my work area last year at PGI, a friend was twisting a whistle rocket off the spindle when the friction of twisting set it off. Luckily, he was only slightly hurt and everyone did what they were supposed to do but I learned to never twist a whistle motor off of a spindle.

-dag

Thanks OG! ^_^

You have lots more skill then do I, mine is just on a lathe, yours seems to be much wider.

-dag

dag, you are FAR to MODEST.:whistle:

My skills in pyro don't hold a candle to yours.

I'm just tinkering around like a child, while you have great expertice.

MINE, might have to put them on the Mantle to be admired, too purdy to use ;)

No kidding, just the polishing alone would take me hours and hours.

I'd have a tough time pounding on them. ;)

Oh, there will be no pounding on whistle unless you are determined to see your maker that same day ;)

-dag

Oh, there will be no pounding on whistle unless you are determined to see your maker that same day ;)

-dag

Thanks for that... :)

I only follow instructions from time tested sources... I'm a newbie and just learning and I so want to continue.

Still you do have a way with making things like rocket tooling look way to pretty to actually use.;)

I envy that.

Thanks Bill! :)

The shine is actually part of the function, the cleaner and shinier the metal is, the easier it is to compact the fuel and remove the spindle. A little Mothers Mag polish will keep them looking good.

-dag

Sure! Press the rocket as normal then remove the support sleeve. Back off the set screw coming out of the side of the base and remove the cap screw threaded into the bottom of the base in the the base of the spindle. Pull the motor still attached to the spindle out of the base, place the ring under the end of the motor, insert the long cap screw into the base and screw the spindle down into the base. The ring will hold the rocket tube of 1/4" and the cap screw will pull the spindle out of the motor.

No twisting needed :)

Im my work area last year at PGI, a friend was twisting a whistle rocket off the spindle when the friction of twisting set it off. Luckily, he was only slightly hurt and everyone did what they were supposed to do but I learned to never twist a whistle motor off of a spindle.

-dag

Gotcha, very nice. I like the simplicity.

• 1 month later...

A couple more sets, these are combo sets, they make both end burners and gerbs.

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/100_2333.jpg

-dag

Your tooling is in the class of TIFFANY works of functional ART. Edited by oldguy

A couple more sets, these are combo sets, they make both end burners and gerbs.

-dag

Looks cool!

I really like the dual purpose idea. I love gerbs, but am bound to my endburner tooling for making them . They work fine for gerbs ( see my chromatrope wheel) , but give a bit of a overkill in terms of thrust.

Very nice work Rocketman!!!!!!

Really got to get me a lathe.......... LOL even more money!

Your tooling is in the class of TIFFANY works of functional ART.

Awwww! I'm blushing! :blush: Seriously, thank you for the compliment, I do work hard on the tooling and am showing my youngest how to use the lathe and make tooling too. He tried four spindles and I have to make the ones shown since he was .001" off and the spindles wobbled in the base. A time to learn. He is getting better and will be making his own birthday present this fall. ;)

Looks cool!

I really like the dual purpose idea. I love gerbs, but am bound to my endburner tooling for making them . They work fine for gerbs ( see my chromatrope wheel) , but give a bit of a overkill in terms of thrust.

Good for you Fred, its a good thing to see people make tooling but keep me in mind if you are in need.

Very nice work Rocketman!!!!!!

Thanks Cookie, your story is a reminder to us all and I for one truly appreciate your good works.

Really got to get me a lathe.......... LOL even more money!

Yes, you do need a lathe!! :D

-dag