APC Forum

Free Money! (Ok, free Aluminum, same thing)

TheSidewinder

I'm assuming the S stands for Spherical is that correct? Do you have a mesh size for that bright Al. yet?

Cookie, that is definitely Bright Flake aluminum. By the look of it I'd guess 200mesh or similar.

My apology everyone that no additional data was disclosed, I had posted that for TheSideWinder to see (we had been conversing on the phone). Edited by StarMolecule

1) When you begin selling various types of Al powders, will you provide good specifications (size, type, coating)? When I grab a container of a particular chemical, I care only about its physical properties, and not someone's own naming conventions.

Edit- now I see that you're getting the legwork done on the dark Al. It sounds like fun stuff to experiment with, just by someone's comment "jagged 3d exploded popcorn" I'm curious.

Edited by jwitt

1) When you begin selling various types of Al powders, will you provide good specifications (size, type, coating)? When I grab a container of a particular chemical, I care only about its physical properties, and not someone's own naming conventions.

Edit- now I see that you're getting the legwork done on the dark Al. It sounds like fun stuff to experiment with, just by someone's comment "jagged 3d exploded popcorn" I'm curious.

JWitt, we will be providing full specifications. Not sure what you mean by the naming conventions however, that part confused me a little.

As per our aluminum powder, we have not bought the standard Eckart, Alcoa, Shlenk brands and slapped our own name on it like most people tend to do. This is a specific powder that we sought out, (found that it additionally had application within the realm of pyrotechnics), and had to jump through some hoops to procure, and are quite pleased with its SPECAP rating. It's used for far more than pyrotechnics.

We do not have to be the biggest aluminum powder company, but merely strive to be one of the best, with emphasis on taking care of our customers.

Edited by StarMolecule

• 2 weeks later...

HEY FOLKS!!!

Only a few days left to volunteer to get some FREE Aluminum.

I frankly thought I'd have to beat volunteers away with a stick, but the response has been... underwhelming.

We need a few more dedicated people who are willing to simply test this and give your opinion.

Read the opening thread for details.

Thanks!!

HEY FOLKS!!!

Only a few days left to volunteer to get some FREE Aluminum.

I frankly thought I'd have to beat volunteers away with a stick, but the response has been... underwhelming.

We need a few more dedicated people who are willing to simply test this and give your opinion.

Read the opening thread for details.

Thanks!!

Hey, if your willing to ship to Ontario Canada, I'll give it a try, but from what I remember correctly lower 48 only.

JWitt, we will be providing full specifications. Not sure what you mean by the naming conventions however, that part confused me a little.

I would have gotten back here sooner, but ahh distractions (and tons of work getting ready for this past weekend)

Basically, if I have a container of 200 mesh flake, I want it to say "Aluminum, bright flake, 200 mesh" or similar on the label, not "S3." For example, say tons of people start using your products and sharing formulas. Using your particular name would be horrible for formulas, albeit great for business if people would search for it.

I arrived at this by thinking to myself "what the heck is S3 Aluminum?"

Oohhh...So this means I might still be able to get free aluminium!! Hooray2smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

OK, folks. The volunteer period is over.

I'll be contacting the owner of Star Molecule and providing him the shipping addresses of the people who are chosen to participate.

If you don't receive notice from us that you've been picked, please don't take it personally. We do appreciate the offer, truly, but this was a necessarily limited offer.

Thanks to ALL of those who volunteered.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, folks. There have been a couple things going on in the background (and Mumbles' unfortunate accident) that has delayed the "deployment".

Rest assured, this is still on the table. Just hang tight for now. :)

TS

Are you going to post who? I hope you picked Dr Boom.

:D

If that is the case- I might have to make a cheesy stop-motion video to catalog the amount of fun that will be had...

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone, we are absolutely still doing this. I spoke to Mumbles briefly yesterday, and Sidewinder today on the update.

We went through all the necessary steps, inspections and processes to ensure that we were as legal as legal gets. We are completely OSHA compliant at our storage and shipping facility (including the eyewash station, the breathing masks, and a few other things, yes we really did this). The Bar-codes were purchased, and registered. All printing and MSDS inserts were completed, well revised anyway. As well as all requested labeling from our carriers. Our shipping is completely compliant (and LEGAL), our containers are being labeled:

http://www.starmolecule.com/images/starmoleculelabel.png

So yes, we delayed on purpose to ensure that everything was flawless, and above board. The members that Sidewinder has approved will be receiving their powders to T/E. We may open the process up again for a bit longer (to capitalize on the open time until delivery) to invite a few more people in.

We apologize for the delay, but we are in this for the long haul and want to ensure that our company is legitimate from start to finish. Thanks for your patience.

Edited by StarMolecule

That sounds good. Do we know who those people will be yet? Do those people know that they have been chosen? 2rolleyes.gif

Sidewinder has that list, not sure if the members know that they were chosen or not.

Apologies, folks. Work was nuts this week.....

No, I haven't yet told anyone whether they were chosen for participation. I'll do that in the next few days.

We appreciate the enthusiasm shown for this!

Mark

Apologies, folks. Work was nuts this week.....

No, I haven't yet told anyone whether they were chosen for participation. I'll do that in the next few days.

We appreciate the enthusiasm shown for this!

Mark

As an aside, I threw my offer to evaluate back in July... not sure if I'll get picked or not, but now with winter approaching in the NE, my ability to roll stuff up and hit my shoot site is impacted by it's use during hunting season... I hope that with a 4- month delay on the sample delivery, there is a commensurate understanding that some of us may not be able to produce at the drop of a hat. Also, my offer to eval salute tone and dB with a mic and spectrum-analyzer is now dependent on weather, too.

Still hoping to get picked, tho... cool2.gif

No, it's well understood that with Winter approaching the reviews may be delayed. Star Molecule wants to be sure all the T's are crossed and the I's dotted, and this is part of it.

We'll get the powder out to you guys, just take your time and give your honest opinion of it. That's all they are asking. :)

M

• 1 month later...

Anyone heard from these guys lately? I see the website still isn't up yet.

What? Of course it is. I'm watching it, trying to figure out if they will ship to Sweden.

B!

Website has been up for 6 months that I know of, but no option to purchase

Well, it looks to be functional now

Edited by Algenco

• 2 weeks later...

All I can counsel is.... patience. Since the building season is basically over for the northern half of the US, I don't think there's a REAL rush to get this taken care of.

As soon as Star Molecule has some news to report, I'm sure they will. I have the list of people ready to give him when that time comes.

Let's not forget that this will be free product sent to everyone. ;)

Thanks for your patience.