APC Forum

Hints and tips for Australians

mike_au

$15 for 1lb of saran?

Anyone interested?

If I get some time I might make some more bottle rocket tooling.

Hi! I live in the north (Auckland Area) so there is never any snow and few sheep. (Don't forget Australia has many more sheep than NZ :P )

Making Barium chlorate is a project that I am keen to do too. I have everything needed, but not quite enough time for it all. What method did you use?? However I agree that its not needed for great greens, especially with Magnalium fueled Barium nitrate being much safer and so good. However I'd like to try it for 'academic' reasons.

Thanks for the compliments, though my NYE show is full of things needing improvements before I am satisfied!!

I have been around for what must be over half a decade now, still a beginner by many standards. :rolleyes: While I do not have decades of memories to compare with, the Australian hobbyist pyro world is more promising now than it ever has been during my years. You have lost some very knowledgeable people for various reasons, but the number of people who have escaped the confinements of Charcoal streamers and glitter (as much as I love them) is getting quite high, as is the number of 'visible' (not lurking silently in the background) pyros.

Lets hope the trend continues! You might be able to get a legal society like in the UK, and invite me over to participate :D

hi see more, yes we do but we shear ours, you guys don't share'm with any body :P .. i havn't made any Baclo3, i bought it, only 2lb

but i do have just over a Lb of Bacl, anhydrous, but out of memory it isn't as simple as pouring it into Naclo3,

( a future project when i get more time ) "" yea right, that puts me behind the eight ball straight up with this hobby,,... i have had great success with MgAl and Ba(no3)2 comps....such a vivid colour. It is great to see and hear of home grown ingenuity, Aus pyros, but i highly doubt we could get anything like the uk happening here, ( once the govt bans something it stays banned, 'its all a conspiracy to ...no pun intended, control us like sheep) i don't have a yoo tube site as yet and only just bought a cam corder so hopefully i will be able to show you some of my achievments soon...

i also don't think the container shipment is a wise or viable proposition, ( although i am an optimust ).. it is a touchy prediciment at best to obtain chemicals at any rate with suppliers having to label them as they do.... so i can't imagine a container getting through customs full of oxidisers from china,, i can see the manifest clearly, Nacl...20 ton..." LOY YANG PYROTECHNIC COMPANY....CHINA

oh yea.... my cuzzys are in Auckland and New plymouth... one of them is a detective,, :lol: .. but i havn't seen her in 30 years

take it easy Bro'

by the way knackers....you wer'nt in my neighbourhood recently were ya ? i went to get dinner out of the freezer the other night and i noticed love bites on my lamb roast :P

Edited by scrappy

sold, where do I send the money?

PM me

Same goes for anyone wanting small rocket tooling (large tapers are a bitch on a small lathe)

Tentacles,

I tried this MgAl in KClO3 flash and didn't have allot of success whilst it did produce a fast burning powder it was still far from what I would expect this comp to burn, I threw a little of the Mg/Al into my mortar and pestle and got it that blackish colour. Again I tried 0.4 grams of the flash and this was the result:

Although at the end of the day I won't be using MgAl for flash anyway and the size I have it at the moment should be fine for most comps calling -325 mesh… I hope, Btw in no way do I consider this to be a safe comp nor have any place really in any pyro device

MgAl flash doesn't have as much of a tendency to self-confine as the dark aluminum stuff, but your's is as close to a report as I've ever seen unconfined. Stick that in a rocket header and it'll be just as effective as german dark, although with a slightly brighter flash.

MgAl flash doesn't have as much of a tendency to self-confine as the dark aluminum stuff, but your's is as close to a report as I've ever seen unconfined. Stick that in a rocket header and it'll be just as effective as german dark, although with a slightly brighter flash.

Your right about it not self confining very well as it doesnt, i set off a couple of grams unconfined, was like really fast black powder, very very bright very fast.

Confined, 2 grams or so made a LOUD AS FUCK REPORT just in paper, and very bright.

I'd save it for stars personally. But if you desperately need flash with reasonable power, id use it.

does anybody know who stocks gummed paper tape ?, i've searched from post offices, art shops through to office works and havn't been able to locate any, Not something i wish to import, it must be available locally

does anybody know who stocks gummed paper tape ?, i've searched from post offices, art shops through to office works and havn't been able to locate any, Not something i wish to import, it must be available locally

Where i live its stocked at art shops, pretty cheap compared to what others pay as well. Keep looking for it in art stores i say.

I would definately be in. Would you be able to organise a price list?

Yea. I am in the process of doing so.

It may be a few days though.

The bulk buy is only going to be for South Aussies unless you can drive to my house and pick it up from there. Sorry QLD, NT, NSW, VIC, CAN, WES.

If their is any other South Australians that want to order Mortars, or Hemis at dirt cheap prices, send me a message.

Some of the cheap prices:

$0.07 AUS 3" set of hemis

$1.62 US 3" Fiberglass Mortar.

Ask me for other prices. They are ALL really cheap.

Edited by nick2354

Where i live its stocked at art shops, pretty cheap compared to what others pay as well. Keep looking for it in art stores i say.

thanks steps, i looked a little wider and got on to some, i was pasting with pva mixed with water and it seemed more like a labourious chore than the final trimmings,

your prices nick look excellent but i can't help but think its not much of a bulk buy if its only for south Australians , if it was 4" and 6" paper hemis, ( at that price i would have bought 2 or 3 thousand, "a couple of hundred $ worth ) but understand it would be a huge pain in the butt to post on goods around the country " i wouldn't do it either,

Edited by scrappy

The bulk buy is only going to be for South Aussies unless you can drive to my house and pick it up from there.

If their is any other South Australians that want to order Mortars, or Hemis at dirt cheap prices, send me a message.

Probably not much better than having you post it, but would you consider packaging it if we organised a courier to pick it up?

Failing that, where abouts in SA are you? Maybe I could convince the g/f that it is time for a road trip if you are close enough to the border :)

When is all this likely to happen?

I can't see you filling a shipping container with 3" mortars and hemi's for SA only... Are there no other sizes or different items available?

I can't see you filling a shipping container with 3" mortars and hemi's for SA only... Are there no other sizes or different items available?

Their are alot more sizes available and they are all really cheap.

Mortars range from 2" to 8"

Hemis range from 3" to 8"

I live in Adelaide.

I suppose I could package it, but you will need to tell me what to do.

It isnt a shipping container it is only 1m3, so it is really much of a bulk buy, but 1m3 can still fit alot of Mortars and hemis.

I am thinking about ordering early next week.

Edited by nick2354

Their are alot more sizes available and they are all really cheap.

Mortars range from 2" to 8"

Hemis range from 3" to 8"

I live in Adelaide.

I suppose I could package it, but you will need to tell me what to do.

It isnt a shipping container it is only 1m3, so it is really much of a bulk buy, but 1m3 can still fit alot of Mortars and hemis.

I am thinking about ordering early next week.

hi nick, i am interested in purchasing with you, you would have to repackage the individual orders then get a courier to pick them up,

i would like a price on

4 x 6" mortars,

4 x8" mortars,

500 x 4" hemis

500 x 6" hemis and 500 x 8" hemis, ( paper ) ........do you have experience with the quality ? and would the pallet con be arriving by ship? if so how long would the delivery be ?

i can pay you via paypal into your email addy

As long as you are able to box them up and leave them out for a courier to grab, I would certainly be interested in getting a few bits and pieces, probably between 4 and 10 3" mortars and a few hundred 3" hemis.

I've looked at a couple of couriers and they seem to want boxes/tubes, they aren't satisfied with bubble wrap and tape obviously I would be happy to pay extra to cover all that, if you are happy to do it.

Are you able to get any chems or is it just the inert stuff for now?

They will take about 25 days to arrive.

mike_au: I think I can do your order quite easily, but along with the cost of the goods you will have to pay a small amount for shipping.

Scrappy: Your order might be a little bit more difficult as the items you are buying are alot larger, but It can be done but you will have to pay a quite a considerable amount for shipping.

Scrappy and mike_au add me on msn to discuss prices: NICK_2354@hotmail.com

Edited by nick2354

Hay I know i'm new to the post, but I read the hole thing lol (have nothing to do) and I was wondering this place you r buying from is it only hemi's and mortar's? or r there chems aswell?

and Yanki or anyone else, could you tell me where i could get parlon? or could someone buy it for me?

They just sell hemis and mortars. Parlon can be bought at several places, the best would probably be Cooperman as the shipping is not rediculous, nor is the price.

• 3 weeks later...
ok, if the odd chance that this thing is still happening, what are the prices for 8" 6" and 5" Tubes (are the hdpe tube?) and what are the prices for those sizes for the hemi's?

• 2 weeks later...
ok, if the odd chance that this thing is still happening, what are the prices for 8" 6" and 5" Tubes (are the hdpe tube?) and what are the prices for those sizes for the hemi's?

It is still happening its just a pain to organize. I still havent decided which one to go with yet, one has cheaper prices and seems more reliable, while the other one has cheaper shipping.

all prices are in USD

Option 2. Cheaper shipping.

Mortars

2" $0.85

3" $2.17

4" $4.00

5" $7.12

6" $9.57

Hemis

3" 0.03

4" $0.08

5" $0.19

6" $0.27

Option 1. Cheaper prices and seem more trustworthy.

Mortars

2" USD0.91/pc

3" USD1.62/pc

4" USD2.91/pc

5" USD4.53/pc

6" USD6.15/pc

8" USD12.94/pc

Hemis

2" USD0.024/set

3" USD0.047/set

4" USD0.091/set

5" (dont have a quote yet)

6" USD0.382/set

8" USD0.823/set

Edited by nick2354

I'm wanting to order some NEPT tubes from Hobby Horse, is anyone interested in doing a group buy?

I'm wanting to order some NEPT tubes from Hobby Horse, is anyone interested in doing a group buy?

yep. Very interested.