• Mumbles

• oskarchem

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1rst degres Burning from Calcium sulphate based exotic powder

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/5497/photo004po5.jpg

I burn my finger and my thumb ;)

• 3 weeks later...
i am lucky that i have only suffered minor burns but recently i had a pretty big (stupid) accident. i was testing a very small black powder rocket. i was launching it down the street (stupid i know) and it took off and went through my neighbors antquie stained glass window and burned their floor. it will cost me quite a bit not sure how much.

You can even remove the silver fulminate from fun snaps safely if you know how.

It is the accumulated product from many snaps/bullets/torpedos/etc that is most dangerous. Never let it accumulate but put small amounts in single separate heaps away from the working area. And work wet, only dry as needed (look up the contents and solubilities so you don't dissolve out a crucial component of the mix).

Always remember that the contents of 200 snaps (or primers) is NO longer a toy!

I can add to the fun snap stories lol

I was 15 or so, emptying out a bunch of snaps into a small plastic container-- the diameter was about 1.25" and I filled it about a half inch up. I was rushing a little bit as I was about to leave, and it went off a foot from my head-- my ears rang for three or four hours but after that I was fine.

What is that stuff anyway? From the posts above, I've gleaned that it's gravel coated in Silver fulminate?

Now i know this is very slight but i was making smoke bombs (suger and p nitrate ). I put them on the heat at a very low temp. and decided to leave it for like 5 secs as i went to get more kno3 and i got back. As i added the powder it started to smoke. The heat was real low so i was shure it wasnt too high as to set it off but it was smoking like hell. Eventually my whole house was filled and god it smelt nice because of the suger but i found it hard to breathe. :o

If anybody knows what caused this reaction i would love to know.I think it has something to do with me adding more kno3 to the allredy liquidy mixture. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Stoves are not a place to make smoke bombs, your lucky your house did not burn down. You really should purchase a hotplate and do this procedure outside away from your house. Your also lucky your ok; People have been severely burned by smokebomb preignition.

What do you mean by reaction. This was simply a lack of common sense, Heat+smokebomb composition= fire. if the smokebomb comp heats up for a while, its going to catch fire evry time.

Stoves are not a place to make smoke bombs, your lucky your house did not burn down. You really should purchase a hotplate and do this procedure outside away from your house. Your also lucky your ok; People have been severely burned by smokebomb preignition.

What do you mean by reaction. This was simply a lack of common sense, Heat+smokebomb composition= fire. if the smokebomb comp heats up for a while, its going to catch fire evry time.

can you explain the hotplate outside presedure and how it's done,and what to buy ? I have never made smoke things,but feel I had been thinking of trying it out. I want to be carefull of course. Thanks

I'ts quite basic really just melt the sugar down, take it off the heat the add the potassium nitrate a bit at a time with constant stirring. What i do is melt the sugar on the stove then take it outside and slowly add the potassium nitrate.

either melting both components in a heat resistant beaker outside on a hot plate, or melting the sugar on a stove inside than adding the KNO3 to the molten sugar outside are both safe alternative to making the whole thing on a stove, I know someone who had a close call because he did not take the threat of ignition seriously.

When I first started using HE's I was a grenade fanatic and I filled a inert "lemon" grenade and made it active and packed it full of MEKP in gel form (well goop form anyway) with a AP cap. I had thrown it into a small pond about 7ft deep but a piece of shrapnel managed to find me. It went into my left thigh and knicked the femoral artery(I think thats how its spelled) and had to have 73 stitches. Police and hospital required a explanation....Old propane exploded and they bought it :P Only lession out of this dont ever think your smarter then the fire :D

FUZE- im pretty sure that post goes under the classification of HE discussion, and therefore is not allowed in any section other than the HE section.

I don't agree. He just mentioned what the cause of the injuries was, in this case HE.

"Sadly" for me I don't remember any serious accidents. Just a burn from a fuse and such.

I have a rather silly accident from my very first days in the hobby. I had just got my shipment of fuse. I didn't really know what it was like so i took about three inches of it and took it to my back yard. I brought a cup of water to put it out once it got too short. I lit it and was fascinated by the sparks shooting out. It got short and I dunked it in water. I will forever remember that fuse is waterproof. I got a bad burn on my thumb and pointer finger.

When I first started using HE's I was a grenade fanatic and I filled a inert "lemon" grenade and made it active and packed it full of MEKP in gel form (well goop form anyway) with a AP cap.

Fuze,

Openly admitting to manufacturing a destructive device in violation of GCA is not the smartest thing to post on a website unless you really crave spending 10 years in club fed. Its happened to other people for similar events and its an easy case for any IOI from the BATFE.

• 2 weeks later...
I've had all the regulars, fuse burns, matches, lighting fires and of course bonfire nights when you step on a ember in barefoot. I've had a load of cuts and scars from my penknifes. But i remember one day i was playing a game when i was 7 called what sets on fire in my bedroom. I found some of my brothers airfix paintstripper and it said highly flammable, i thought perfect. So i took small bowl and the painstripper (also a lighter) up to my room. Next thing i kow my leg is onfire, i start screaming and jumping on it my mum comes running in thinking i'd set myself on fire, guess what, i had. I also made a torch out of a sock, wool, paraffin and a big stick. I lit it was spinning it round my head when the sock comes of and goes flying across the garden and missed my brothers head by about a inch. Then landed next to a tree, thankfully i put the fire out before anything bad happened.

I have luckily not been "injured" due to pyro. When I was about 13 I really go into placing legal crackers into things. Black cats brand baby. Well anyways I found CD cases a good thing to do as it shot plastic shrapnel up about 3 feet. Not amazing, but fun.

One night my uncle or cousin had a slurpee cup. It was hard clear plastic and shaped like a normal cup, but for some reason had a long tube in the cap. I think for different flavored drinks. If you're part of pyrotechs it looked like this: http://www.pyrotechs.org/component/option,...?g2_itemId=1349

Well anyway I placed it in the innertube and held the entire cup as if it were normal. In my mind the black cat would only break the inner tube thing. After the fuse hit the flash the cup instantly crumbled in my hand and I has a stinging feeling in my palm. No cuts, no red

spots, just a stinging feeling and lots of laughter from my cousins.

This happened some time ago when I was relatively stupid about pyrotechnics. Sparkler fuse to a few grams of flash powder, while igniting the cheap sparkler I was using for a fuse broke off, lit the other half of the sparkler and didn't give me ANY time to get away. No stitches, just a rather large scar on my thumb. Moral of the story: Start with something safer, use real fuse (which I have still yet to find in Canada) and wear hand protection. Looking back, I am actually happy this happened so when I get on to bigger projects I am prepared (or at least more so then without the accident)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/theboarder410/OTHER/thumb.jpg

I just thought of another one actually. A long while back, we were doing that thing where you light steel wool on fire and sling it around. It just so happens that a spark of it hit a tree and lit on fire. Not knowing this we went inside. About ten minutes later we went out and there was a massive fire going. It took us another 10 minutes to put it out with gallons of water and two fire extinguishers.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a bit of excitement yesterday. I was working on a negative-X fountain. The procedure was as follows;

Weigh out chems for negative-X

28 grams ammonium nitrate

69 grams zinc

3 grams ammonium chloride

+10 grams 100 mesh magnesium (optional, for sparks)

Transport chems outside, unmixed

Mix components on a dry paper plate

Pour aprox. 20 gram amounts through funnel into 3/4" I.D. tube, and tamp each layer lightly with loose-fitting dowel.

The reaction must have started low-down in the tube. The sudden green ball of smoke and flame which engulfed my head was the first clue that something was amiss. It happened during the tamping procedure. There was a "chuff" sound, and the tube puked-up a cloud of compound, which suddenly seems to want to talk fire at once. Quick reaction time and a roll to the right came next. The fountain of smoke, green flame, and sparks was quite lovely to watch, although I originally planned to watch it from a good deal further away.

I had taken the precaution of filling the tube at eye level so I wasn't directly above the tube. I was wearing safety glasses, a long sleeve shirt, and a hat, all of which were to the good. In retrospect gloves would also have been a good idea, buy hey, who needs hair on the back of ones hands anyway? Oh, and I'm short half a left eyelash, so perhaps the full face shield that I have in the barn should have been put to good use too.

I believe the problem was that I waited for approximately 2 hours after weighing-out the chems and I left the ammonium nitrate out in the ambient, humid, air. My guess is that it probably absorbed some moisture from the air which when tamped down, even lightly, put water in contact with the chloride, and the reaction was off to the races.

The moral of the story? "If you play with fire....you're one of us."

A missing eyebrow would be a cool, temporary discussion piece at a party.

• 2 weeks later...
I guess fireworks weed out the stupid. I don't like how the article referred to it as a fireworks mortar bomb.

"unfamiliar with the commercial-grade aerial firework"

"Barse and another woman were trying to set off a 3-inch mortar bomb in the parking lot of the car wash where Barse worked"

"No one at the car wash had permission for a fireworks display"

Completely her fault, lighting commercial grade fireworks while leaning over it, in a city, without permission. What could she possibly think would have happened?

I think it's telling how they describe it as a "mortar bomb". Just trying to tie it into the whole "terror" line of BS. Only this time, it's the fireworks that are the terrorists! It's absolutely her fault, she clearly has no training and no idea how to handle firworks in general, much less commercial fireworks if she's poking her head over a loaded mortar AT ANY TIME, much less when she's going to light them!!

AP is trying to make it some kind of sob story with their comments on her kids. For all we know the only real tragedy here may be how she treated them.

well, nothing too painful for me the worst accidents were when i made a Drano rocket,

put foil and Drano in a bottle and punch a hole in the cap,

i thought it would work perfectly like last time, sadly it didn't,

it sent about half a gallon of Drano shooting towards me and spraying me all over, luckily i reacted quickly and ran into my shower and showered 4 about 2 and a half hours.

the acid burns were indescribably painful, especially when its hot due to the chemical reaction

(luckily there were no marks on skin :D

the second was lighting 26 six aerial shells at once, most of them took off perfectly but in all pyrotechnics theres always this one little dud, it did not shoot up, it shot out sending stars flying everywhere, i didn't get burned but i was annoyed to find out my new close hand turned into poka dots if you know what i mean ;)