APC Forum

Various Accidents and Injuries

BigBang

I had a cup of B/P on my desk, not that much, about 100grams, it wasn't a very fast burning type. But I had no matches or lighters. With the B/P I was going to make a tube fountain which is a bit of slow burning B/P in a pipe. It looks like a huge flare. So anyway I got the KMnO4 and Glycerin out. I put about 5 grams of very fine KMnO4 in a mtal dish and added a bit of glycerin, to see if it would work well. It smoked, and then went into a large flame and spat out sparks. I didn't think much of it untill the B/P caught alight, there was a huge flame and the glass from the beaker it was in exploded. It was a 100ml beaker. And the whole thing apart from the bottom blew apart. I had turned around by the time this happened. So nothing much happened. I got lots of absolutely tiny pieces in the back of my arms. They hurt, but they came out after a while.

That is the main thing. I have also had chlorine and NO2 disasters/explosions in my lab. Bear in mind that this incedent happened over a year ago. I keep flames further away from B/P now.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boomer

• artificier

• Mumbles

• oskarchem

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

its my paintfull injurie with a cratermaker :(

a little metal shrapnel passed throught my knees.

http://i15.tinypic.com/2wq8ny9.jpg

ho man

that looks awful!!!

But why the hell do u use metal containers instead of paper casings???

And howlong have you stay in hospital???

polumna

some hour at the hospital,i use metal casing just for slow powder and cardboard for fast powder.

Cob its a co2 cartridge used for paintball gun.lot of people like me use this little cartridge to make a powerfull salute,

but sometime this stuff was really dangerous,before this incident,i use fast burning powder,but the cob explode in a thousand of shrapnel,and now i just use very slow powder and the cob explode in just only one big shrapnel,its less dangerous.but cob its alway dangeroux and you must RUUUNN when you light the fuse.

hi fizzz :) :)

a cob is the shot cut for CO2_Cartridge BOMB(Personally i hate this exploding devices)

the bomb is out of an empty co2-cartridge filled with explosives, but not too much infos,

maybe i´ll be banned (like in other forums):(

They´re very dangerous, because they throw very dangerous and deadly shrapnels.

I think this device has nohing to do with pyro anymore, because of the deadly shrapnels.

It´s also a little bomb which is very dangerous( you can see the damage in this delicious picture)

I hope i´ve help you,

polumna

i'm just very lucky to not get this shrapnel on my face.

this is a very very unlucky person.she's dead ! sorry its very disgusting !

http://i10.tinypic.com/2lcla8p.jpg

http://i9.tinypic.com/3zktj5d.jpg

i dont hope for anyone be hurt like that

Holy fuc*, what caused those injuries, they don't look like shrapnel based ones unless the shrapnel was the size of a meat cleaver.

its the blast wave and shrapnel caused those injurie

Someone from my class in Y9 made a COb, and buried it and ran behind a tree, when he looked around he said there was shrpnel in the tree. He said he used powder from bullets! I shook my head, I will never make a cob.

There was a kewl that IMed me last night and said that he used a COB for A rocket report. then he asked if hecould use BBs for shrapnel, I said that this was stupid, dangerous and was boring since you cant see BBs at night. Now this is even funnier, I told him why not use stars? He told me that shells use ALL flash for the break and he did so in his COBs. I told him that BP was used with a LITTLE bit of flash. He then called ME and noob and signed off or blocked me. What a retard. Don't use metal containers, stupid and dangerous.

"I never love metal casing , i too dangerous !"

Your own words, less than two month ago.

BTW the metal is not the problem, it is the attitude of using it for salutes. In HE testing, more often than not you use steel pipes, to get the diameter down to useable amounts while still reaching close to max VoD. Or steel targets or whatever.

What you do is use *instantaneous* electric detonators, and keep the battery in your pocket until you are at the end of a long cable, under full cover. No running and stumbling over something in the hurry, no throwing and have it bounce off a tree and come back to you ..... It either goes boom the moment you close the circuit, or never. There's no way a primary in a cap is going to smolder for 15 minutes then go off when you get near it, like it has happend with fuses. Having a ciggie break before retrieving a dud is still a good idea!

My only noteworthy accident happened with a sub-gram-salute, on new years eve, while having 'fun'. It did not happen in 2 decades of scientific testing with up to kilogram quantities of nitro, dynamite, plastique etc. which had better planning, and did not take place while joking/laughing on the way to the liquor store.

THERE IS NO DANGEROUS EXPERIMENT IF THERE'S ENOUGH CABLE!

I agree with this, electrical igniters, it works or it doesn't. Last year at fireworks there was a kid on the news who had lit some device that shot balls out, I think it was a magnolia, anyway it was a dud and they left it for a few minutes, he walked over to it, it fired and he lost an eye. His mum was angry at firework companies and wanted them banned. (I can see why though) but really if it is a dud don't put your face above it! And just do something else.

Better ban that mum from procreating, and make her loose custody. Letting her kid walk up to a dud is unforgiveable. That's the people who pour coffee on their lap and sue Mc Donalds for selling it hot. But complain if it's cold. This becomes a post for the venting room gggrrrr ...

The kid was at a park, his mum wasn't there. So it was mainly the kids fault. Although the mum shouyldn't have let him go to the park with fireworks, on the other hand I do fireworks, when there is a dud I usually put water on it with a hose.

One time, i tried to re-light the blackmatch fuse on my homemade rocket, as it had burned out. It was a 1lb BP rocket. Not a good idea, if you ask me.

Well, what happened was that the blackmatch jump-fired and lit the rocket at once. The BAD thing was the nozzle, being to small, and resulting in a big CATO, at the ground. :D

I think I had ringnings in my ears for about an hour or so... And the nozzle clayplug shot out and hit my thumb, so it later went totally black. :(

Well, now I'm back to normal, so is my thumb also. :P

But never, NEVER try to re-light an unreliable fuse.

hi dudes,

long time ago,

i´ve built my first rocket, put a bamboostick on the rocket(30cm in length and 3mm thick),

i put the rocket-stick in turned flowerpot( it had got a hole), ignite the rocket in my garden(foolish), she flew up

5cm and the result was a pretty loud bang with almost a huge mass of confetti, the flowerpot

got completely destroyed and the bamboo-stick, too.

It made my ears ringing for half a week and ive had a spine in in my hand.

I collected the parts of the rockt: just 3. I saw a few parts of the flowerpot on the STREET, 20M away!!! this rocket was the scarrist thing i´ve ever lit

polumna

And that is why we don't make COBs or use metal containers! It's obvious your going to eventually get hit by shrapnel.

Frick man... anything. Put a salute too close to a rock, even a small rock... or... in a log *cough* I haven't done that *cough*..... something hard is bound to fly at very painful/deadly velocities....

,Apr 22 2006, 04:25 AM]
Wow, no kidding. Those are some bad burns. How did your buddy get chemical burns from kno3 and sugar?  I didnt think there was anything that bad really in there.

Peace, Zeppelin

I was reading back and i saw this post, well when sugar/kno3 burns it throws molted sugar arround ( at least i think its molten sugar ) one of these got me right on the wrist and guess what it took over 4 month for the scar to fade away (water didnt help).

Some clarification, it was a rather large batch, and I was melting it in a metal pot over a propane stove. I was standing a bit off to the side of it stirring it, waiting for it to melt. I figured if it were to go, it would simply ignite and I would be able to step back. *I've learned alot about fire mechanics since my first days of pyro* Well, it ignited but did so closest to the flame *no surprise, but I didn't think of this at the time* So, being that it ignited under the rest of the power it flung most of it up into the air right into my face and proceeded to ignite all around my face. My had that was stirring took the worst damage, but my face got a hellova lot too. Just a note to anyone who gets burned, if you don't feel any pain at first, YOU ARE NOT OK!!!! I had time to call my friend (JustAnotherPyro) and inform him not to come over, and drive myself down my driveway before my hand started shaking uncontrollably. Then the pain set it. From what the doc. said, morphine is supposed to make the pain stop, however with 3rd degree burns... it just makes you feel cold. Thats about the best they can do for you, they can't put you out for risk of lowering the heart rate too much because you're usually in some level of shock (I was), so they have to take a rag and scrape off the burnt dead skin that's stuck to you. Imagine almost passing out from pain while on 3 adult doses of morphine... I was one of the lucky ones... the only upside to KNO3/Sucrose burns is that some of the sugar is dissolved and converted to glucose right there on your skin, and gives the healthy cells energy, and keeps them from dieing, so you don't get really permanent scars. So I still have my sexy face :D Lesson is, understand how the fire may react in the given situation, and RESPECT ALL COMPOSITIONS!!