APC Forum

Various Accidents and Injuries

BigBang

I once lit a very small cracker on a stove, placing it on an aluminum dish (the type that is very hard to dent with your fingers) and placed the dish on top of the stove rims (those metal things that you put cookware on when you heat something). Well, it was my first working cracker too made with a very tiny pinch of FP (w/indian blackhead). When the thing went off, it not only left me with wistling in my ears for a few days despite me standing about 10 feet away, it also dented the aluminum dish to conform the metal rims that were under it. Some of the heat resistant hard coating chipped off the rims too. I was shocked to say the least. Thats when I gained respect for FP. B)

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boomer

• artificier

• Mumbles

• oskarchem

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i blow one of my finger skin with primary HE. its painful

i blow one of my finger skin with primary HE. its painful

happend to me, seriously though it didn't hurt that much, getting a wart removed hurt 100x more.

yeah but its paintful. i try the remove the green stuff in a blank bullet,and paf i blow my finger skin with 0.2 g of the green stuff

So, when you are scraping compositions designed to be shock and friction senitive, perhaps you should wear proper protection, or not at all.

It all depends on the type of wart you are removing really. A plantars wart does not hurt with liquid nitrogen treatment as long as the doctor does it right. Now if the doctor gets some liquid nitrogen on the good skin, that will hurt like a mother.

Swany is right. Whenever I make friction sensitive explosives and they get stuck to my evaporating dish, I don't try to scrap them out to get a better yeild. Basically for the reason stated above, and plus I'm too lazy to go to my glassware store and buy another evap dish.

yeah :( i lost the idea to wear a good pair of safety glove :unsure:

yeah :( but now i will work more safely :D but its a stupid act from me to remove green stuff in a blank bullet :unsure: but its the past and i looking for the future :)

You can even remove the silver fulminate from fun snaps safely if you know how.

It is the accumulated product from many snaps/bullets/torpedos/etc that is most dangerous. Never let it accumulate but put small amounts in single separate heaps away from the working area. And work wet, only dry as needed (look up the contents and solubilities so you don't dissolve out a crucial component of the mix).

Always remember that the contents of 200 snaps (or primers) is NO longer a toy!

YES no longuer :) i try to remove the content of a box of 50 snaps last years. i made bad error :( just the friction of my finger and the silver fulminate set off the charge in my finger.

I removed the contents of about 100 snaps not long ago. I dropped some, and the whole lot went off. My ears were ringing for about 2 days :(

Wow its very very bad :( dont try 150 or 200 :)

p.s : sorry to post too small message

Please do not post if you have nothing to add, artificier. You are making too many useless posts cluttering up the forum. If you are doing it to get a higher postcount, remember that we admins can change it back to 0 with a click. Next shitty post from you gives you a warning.

Guest pyrokid00000
About 3 months ago i was making a batch of AP. I had 5 grams drying in my room on a coffee filter. I went outside for a smoke and when i came back in my dad was asking me if someone hit the house with a baseball. I went in my room and the whole coffee filter was black. I got royally bitched at and could have cought the house on fire. I quit making that sensitive shit.

Only really had one accident as such when I was 14. I cracked open the salute from an Air Bomb firework. My mate and I were in a phone box and we put a lighter to the pile of powder. Well this slightly grey powder went POOOF with the most bliding flash I have ever seen.

We fell out of the phone box laughing to start but we quickly realised that the flash had blinded us. We screamed saying - we cant see! Well after about 2 mins (the longest 2 mins of my life, felt like 20 mins) our sight gradually came back.

It was the most scary time I think i had ever... Thinking I was blind was a nightmare, even though it was only two mins.

"I removed the contents of about 100 snaps not long ago. I dropped some, and the whole lot went off"

That happens once to everybody me thinks. To me too. While it's still with the gravel the force is spread out, but not healthy for eyes and ears.

Exactly why wet work is in order. Empty them into a glass of water and bingo, only ONE can go off.

BTW I currently try a new method of storing TATP. Up to now it was stored in film canisters under water in the fridge. Now I try acetone solution (NOT letting it dry out), this looks less suspicous:

#No officer that's only my nail polish remover, men can need that too. Oh and I like your looks ....# --> Cop leaving in a hurry :D

Downside is you have to mass-dry it before dissolving, as watery acetone dissolves it badly. The good thing about the old method was it went wet from the filter into storage, and was dried in small amounts before use.

Well, I have had two accidents where I had something go off in my face and burn me. The first time I was testing some black powder and had the can of all of it next to me. Just as I lit the test pile, my cat pounced on the back of my heal (as she does alot), and I fell back and to the left with the lighter still going right into the can of BP, with my face right over it. It wasn't a whole lot so it just kind blistered a little. The second time however, I was making my own mix from a chemical equation I conjured up during chemistry class. This formula had a fair amount of Al in it (I won't list the actual formula as I don't remember all of it, and don't have my notes for it). Well, I put this mix into an aluminium pan. Now, this was a hot summer day, and fairly muggy. Anyway, as I set the pan down it exploded, and burned my hand with severe 3rd degree burns(you could see part of the bone on my pinky finger), and my face also with 3rd degree burns.I had to be life flighted to the Utah burn center, (no, they didn't have to graft, luckily). It could have exploded for several reasons I didn't consider at the time *slaps self* Static Discharge from it being so warm and muggy, or an actual reaction with the pan, who knows. lol, the best part is I have no scars, the doctor was pissed when I went into rehab and you couldn't tell it had happened at all. Just note, I went through that, and I still pursue the hobby :D

If it is warm and muggy it should lessen the risk of static discharge, right?

No serious injuries. Just burns from the 1/8 inch fuse shooting flaming powder on my thumb. and breathing in the fumes from ammonium perchlorate oxidized rocket fuel. Watch out for fuse burns.

If it is warm and muggy it should lessen the risk of static discharge, right?

Actualy warm and humid is great for static build up. How do you think lightning works? Two fronts come in contact and the clouds move in opposite directions against each other, and through friction build up a static charge.

I only burnt my hand 2-3rd (In free translation fro hebrew 2rd deep) degree because of a spark from a tiny pile of S/Mg 50/50 flash lit very large pile of this flash neer my hand.

but it was sexy :P

Actualy warm and humid is great for static build up. How do you think lightning works? Two fronts come in contact and the clouds move in opposite directions against each other, and through friction build up a static charge.

On a large scale maybe. I see it as moisture will help "leak" charge off of a body. But when dry the static stays on the body and increases the chance of a spark. Maybe someone else could give the answer in a static saftey thread? with info on grounding :D

A high moisture content in the air does indeed bleed away static. Above 50% this effect is highly noticeable. This is why we only mix flash in humid conditions.

Dry air gives no path for the charge to bleed away. Thus it builds until it gains sufficient voltage, or potential difference, to arc to ground.

" Actualy warm and humid is great for static build up. How do you think lightning works? Two fronts come in contact and the clouds move in opposite directions against each other, and through friction build up a static charge."

Lightning does NOT work that way. One way is that clouds build up a charge from falling rain, and then discharge to earth. I forgot how cloud to cloud, and no rain lightning works. But its NOT from friction between two fronts.

I don't think 50% humidity is very much. I live in a very dry climate and its always 50%. I think 60-70% would be optimal for mixing flash, but thats pretty humid. Although even in 50% ive never had a problem with static build up.

Another cool thing about lightning is that the bolt does not go from the clouds to the ground. When the difference of electrons gets great enough the bolt actually shoots from the ground and from the sky then meets in the middle.